Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2014 5:17:27 PM EDT
So I have been shooting the shit out of this stuff bought at Wal-Mart. Have had no problems yet, they are marked F.C. on the headstamp. Just dickin' around I had a round in my had so I thought I would push the bullet into a peice of wood (I do this to test set-back when reloading) and the bullet pushed in a little way past the cannelure. I then chambered the round and the round popped back out to where it was. Is this gonna be a problem or can I crimp them all. I tested 10 and all 10 do this. It does take some bit of force to push the bullet in.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:27:32 PM EDT
[#1]
If anyone out there has this ammo grab one out of your storage/mag/safe or where ever and push it firmly against a hard surface like wood. Take note how it looked before and after the push.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I would really like some input on this one..
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I've shot a ton. No issues. You could likely duplicate the results with many types of ammo.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok good because I love this stuff. I will only set back or set forward (creep) a certain amount. I cant get it to go in or out anymore when dropping the bolt on a round. But after chambering the same round over and over like 4 or 5 times the bullet becomes loose enough to wiggle. I only found a few like this I just wanna make sure it is still good training/drill runnin' ammo.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I was hopin for more hits on this one...nothing to worry about? On one of the rounds I could barely move the bullet in (push it in) with my bare fingers.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:04:18 PM EDT
[#6]
...I am sorry but I just thought this would concern much more people than just me. Is ti going to be ok to shoot, I will sleep better tonight knowing its g2g.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:18:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok good because I love this stuff. I will only set back or set forward (creep) a certain amount. I cant get it to go in or out anymore when dropping the bolt on a round. But after chambering the same round over and over like 4 or 5 times the bullet becomes loose enough to wiggle. I only found a few like this I just wanna make sure it is still good training/drill runnin' ammo.
View Quote

Maybe don't chamber a round 5 times without shooting it?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#8]
So I am gonna take it as Federal ae223 just has weak neck tension and everyone knows this.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:58:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't worry about it, don't keep chambering the same rounds.  If you chamber it shoot it problem solved.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:40:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I've shot thousands of rounds of AE223 and never had an issue with it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok I shot today to test it. Its all good sorry for the drama. Set-back can really stress a guy out. It all shot well, a little inconsistently loaded at times but perfect for runninNgunnin'
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:16:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So I am gonna take it as Federal ae223 just has weak neck tension and everyone knows this.
View Quote

No, you said it took a bit of force to push the bullet back. Also, bullet set-back itself is NOT a recipe for a Kaboom. It's actually more dangerous to shoot a rifle round with the bullet seated too far forward... If the bullet is already engaging rifling past the chamber when chambered, and then it's fired; now that is a recipe for a Kaboom. I know, it sounds like it should be the other way around but it isn't so with a rifle. The first time I read this; I reread it 5-10 times to make sure I wasn't seeing things. It was also from a respected member here in the reloading forum and was backed up by 2-3 other respected members, or at least members I respect and trust. I hang out in the reloading forum sometimes and those guys are a wealth of knowledge... I'm going to shoot a bunch of American Eagle 5.56 ammo this afternoon and it's good ammo...
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:08:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I never had a set back when using 77gr without cannalure.
I would check and re chamber often  and never found one to be set back.

Even with carbines without the famous M4 feed ramps
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top