Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2014 5:11:44 AM EDT
I bought a Rock River 458 socom carbine gas upper.  I couldn't find ammo for it until a few weeks ago a dealer got in some Corbin 300gr and I bought a box.  The very first one that I shot was so hot that it bkre the primer completely out of the case.  Checked the gun and everyhing appears OK, but I don't want to shoot this ammo.  I called Corbon twice and left messages but no one ever answers or calls back.  What can I do?  At $70 per box I am a little angry that I can't use this gun...  Just bought some bullets, powder and dies and am going to reload my own, but would like my $70+ back.

Suggestions
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 5:14:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Do a search, there have been dozens of threads on issues with Corbon ammo.  If I remember right a few even damaged rifles.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 2:35:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Glantranger97,

Email me or even call me and we'll discuss how to rectify this situation.

Mike Shovel
Vice President/CORBON/Glaser
[email protected]
412-496-0428
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#3]
nice...
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 4:21:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I bought a Rock River 458 socom carbine gas upper.  I couldn't find ammo for it until a few weeks ago a dealer got in some Corbin 300gr and I bought a box.  The very first one that I shot was so hot that it bkre the primer completely out of the case.  Checked the gun and everyhing appears OK, but I don't want to shoot this ammo.  I called Corbon twice and left messages but no one ever answers or calls back.  What can I do?  At $70 per box I am a little angry that I can't use this gun...  Just bought some bullets, powder and dies and am going to reload my own, but would like my $70+ back.

Suggestions
View Quote

I not only had hot loads I also had slam fires with corbon ammo.

My solution was to start loading for the round.  Cost less and better ammo .
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:37:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought several boxes of Corbon  hunter 400 grain flatnose about 3 years ago. It came very corroded straight out of the box. I also purchased 200 Starline brass cases from  Cabela's which also had corrosion on them. I could never get my gun to feed the ammo. I tumbled the corroded brass with flitz and ground walnut and it cleaned up well. Corbon is a fine company and they replaced my ammo. Still some corrosion evident on the new ammo. Unfortunately I became very ill and this lproject aid around the last 2-3 years without being further pursued. Now I am back at it . I bought  parts and put two SOCOMS together, a pistol and a carbine. The pistol has a TROMEX barrel and  a Satern big bore upper on a Spikes lower. works flawllessly.  It fires the Corbon hunter ammo well. The rifle has an unmarked MGI barrel with a Wilson combat upper receiver with an SBR bolt. It will not feed anything (SBR or Corbon) except my handloaded 325 grain Hornadys.  I plan to start working on the gas port on the rifle and make and install a new barrel extension and Tromix bolt.

Back to ammo. Corbon has fine products. I link the problems with their early 458 SOCOM tammo o the brass. I would still buy Corbon ammo for these guns, just not the flatnose variety. I have had very poor luck with the SBR ammo and do not plan to buy it again. This is why I would not recommend the 458 SOCOM to anyone who does not load his own ammo. Sure wish someone else made brass!

In final analysis I wish I had never seen or heard of this caliber. Too much drama for me.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top