Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2014 4:08:15 PM EDT
Hi Everyone,

I've just completed my first AR-15 build and she turned out great!

As a reloader I've also ordered a pile of .223 cases and 55gr bullets.

Now I need a powder..

I was happy to see that I can use tight group. I was happy because this is the same powder as I use to re-load my .45ACP 1911.

Anyone had any experience with this powder?

Thanks for any advise!

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:14:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Titegroup is a fast burning pistol powder. Any application for 5.56 is for subsonic rounds and they will not cycle an AR action.

Reloading with Titegroup in an AR could be dangerous and I advise you learn more about reloading.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:32:52 PM EDT
[#2]

I've been reloading .308, 50AE. .357, .45ACP for 18 years.

I simply went to the Hodgsons website and pulled up a load for a new round that I have .223 and I was my=self amazed that it has the same powder that I use for my .45ACP.

3.11,0644,000 CUP

I was amazed and hence asked on this forum to get input and feedback

I think that your comment is a bit harsh and I take offense.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Titegroup is a fast burning pistol powder. Any application for 5.56 is for subsonic rounds and they will not cycle an AR action.

Reloading with Titegroup in an AR could be dangerous and I advise you learn more about reloading.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I simply went to the Hodgsons website and pulled up a load for a new round that I have .223 and I was my=self amazed that it has the same powder that I use for my .45ACP.

3.11,0644,000 CUP

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

3.11,0644,000 CUP

Quoted:

Well it's there but I would use caution

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:26:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been using H414 to reload my .308 149gr mil surplus FMJ's

I just got home from work and checked in my Speer manual and it looks like you can use H414 on the heavier 70gr .223 bullets but it doesn't show a load for the 55gr bullets that I have. It looks like I'm out of luck with using my existing powders as I use H414, 296 and Titegroup..

So with that said does anyone have a recommendation for .223 with 55gr?

The re-loading manuals are full but it's good to hear from folks who have reloaded with a particular powder.

Got a local gun show coming up in May so it will be time to set my alarm clock, get there early and have a list of alternative powders.

Thanks again!

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#5]
In before the move.

Varget, h335 (wc844 is the pull down equivalent, but non canister so load bottom up), tac, blc-2. These are just about the most popular.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:41:43 PM EDT
[#6]
the reloading forum is the place to go. I just finished off my last 8 pounder of CFE-223. So I'm going to have to start looking for new powder as well. Might be forced to go to the gun show as well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:15:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had good luck with TAC in a variety of bullet weights.  It meters well and is available locally.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:04:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guy's,

I was actually looking for a good reloading forum.. Believe it or not I've been reloading for years but never been on a reloading forum! LOL :-)

I'm a non adventurous type of re-loader.. I find a load that works for me and stick to it. You get everything setup on my Dillon 550B and don't want to radically change the power measure each time.. Usually it's pretty close to where I left it after a die change.

Before folks dive in.. yes I do also check COL etc! :-)… in fact I'm pretty anal about quality control and do a period check of the parameters during a loading session.

I do now have an automated bullet placement devise.. It's my 5 year old son who's favorite job is to place the bullet in the flared case on the dillon :-) LOL.. Daddy can we make some bullets he asks! :-) (BTW Yes I do make sure he scrubs his hands afterwards)

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:05:13 AM EDT
[#9]
How do you insert an image?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#10]
There are much better powders over Titegroup.  

And there is a Reloading forum under the armory section.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks!

I'll re-post on the reloading forum.. I'll ask for the best power with 55gr bullets!

That should get a few replies :-)

Everyone has there favorite! :-)

Thanks guys!

Here's the link to my post for anyone who wishes to follow: .223 55gr Reloading Question
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#12]
That load data is for sub sonic. they will not cycle in a simi auto. DO NOT USE TIGHT GROUP FOR A FULL POWER LOAD!!!. You will need a much slower burning powder for a full power (3000-3100 FPS) load.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:35:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Reloading content
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top