Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/21/2013 12:44:02 PM EDT
I may be picking up some Silver Bear from a guy tomorrow and I just want anyones input or experience with it storage wise.  I have read the ZInc plating has a tendacy to oxidize if left too humid.  Would simply keeping it in a sealed ammo can keep this from happening for a good amount of time?  Thanks in advance for any responses.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 1:54:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't stress about it too much. If you put ammo in a sealed can with a desiccant pack, the ammo should outlive you unless you're burying it in a swamp.  I've shot a ton of silver bear 9x18 and it has been reliable, just a little dirtier than most.

The zinc coating is actually made to oxidize. It'll form a protective zinc carbonate patina.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 3:25:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen Silver Bear oxidize in a sealed ammo can. The oxidation is not a good thing where ammunition is concerned. In an AR-15, the rough surface of the oxidation will cause stuck casings. Been there, done that. I'm a fan of steel cased ammunition, but not Silver Bear so much. I prefer old school lacquer, then Poly, then zinc case finishes, in that order...

7.62x39mm, 5.45x39mm and 9x18mm weapons are not as fussy about the ammunition you put in them. I've run some really grungy steel through a few AK's with no problems...

Keep it dry and you will be OK.

1DD

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've seen Silver Bear oxidize in a sealed ammo can. The oxidation is not a good thing where ammunition is concerned. In an AR-15, the rough surface of the oxidation will cause stuck casings. Been there, done that. I'm a fan of steel cased ammunition, but not Silver Bear so much. I prefer old school lacquer, then Poly, then zinc case finishes, in that order...

7.62x39mm, 5.45x39mm and 9x18mm weapons are not as fussy about the ammunition you put in them. I've run some really grungy steel through a few AK's with no problems...

Keep it dry and you will be OK.

1DD

"The surface of the pure metal tarnishes quickly, eventually forming a protective passivating layer of the basic zinc carbonate, Zn5(OH)6(CO3)2, by reaction with atmospheric carbon dioxide.[25] This layer helps prevent further reaction with air and water."
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:44:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I've seen Silver Bear oxidize in a sealed ammo can. The oxidation is not a good thing where ammunition is concerned.

If you had problems it wasn't the tarnish that did it.

OP a ammo can is fine.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 5:22:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Most of mine are in ammo cans. However I have a few mags loaded at all times with this ammo as well as have some still in the 500rd boxes. I never had any problems in years.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#6]
The cartridges were not "tarnished". The zinc plating oxidized to the point where the surface was ROUGH to the touch. Starting with a clean rifle, after a few magazines I started getting stuck cases. Switched to brass case and no more stuck cases that range trip.
Cleaned the rifle again, paying special attention to the chamber just to be sure. Next range trip I took more of the same oxidezed ammunition and some that I ran through the tumbler for an hour. After a mag and a half of oxidized SB, stuck cases. Switched to tumbled SB, three mag dumps and no stuck cases. The oxidized cases were the problem. Period. It's not the rifle. The rifle shoots everything I put through it 100% except oxidized SB. I'm not new to the AR platform. I've owned and shot ARs longer than most on this board. Longer than some have even been alive I'll wager. I know from whence I speak about this. I was there, no one else was.

1DD
Quoted:

Quoted:
I've seen Silver Bear oxidize in a sealed ammo can. The oxidation is not a good thing where ammunition is concerned.

OP a ammo can is fine.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The cartridges were not "tarnished". The zinc plating oxidized to the point where the surface was ROUGH to the touch. Starting with a clean rifle, after a few magazines I started getting stuck cases. Switched to brass case and no more stuck cases that range trip.
Cleaned the rifle again, paying special attention to the chamber just to be sure. Next range trip I took more of the same oxidezed ammunition and some that I ran through the tumbler for an hour. After a mag and a half of oxidized SB, stuck cases. Switched to tumbled SB, three mag dumps and no stuck cases. The oxidized cases were the problem. Period. It's not the rifle. The rifle shoots everything I put through it 100% except oxidized SB. I'm not new to the AR platform. I've owned and shot ARs longer than most on this board. Longer than some have even been alive I'll wager. I know from whence I speak about this. I was there, no one else was.

1DD
Quoted:

Quoted:

OP a ammo can is fine.

Tumbling it live worked ok?
I have a bunch of Silver Bear that corroded on me. Formed a rough, whitish coating that resulted in stuck casings almost every round that had to be pounded out with a cleaning rod. You can hear it grinding when feeding from the mag, too.

I've had this happen to both .223 and 7.62x39. For some odd reason, my Silver Bear in 5.45 has not done it.
It happens with even a small amount of humidity. If I open a can out at the range, come back a month later and open that same can, the Silver Bear still in it has corroded.

Took some pics:

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:29:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Exactly what mine looked like. Tumbling live ammunition is OK.

1DD
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:44:07 PM EDT
[#9]
So this ammo does not store well, right?   So buy something better to store.   Why risk being up the creek when in need.  Don't let a lower price affect your judgement
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:55:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Stores perfectly well for me I have some stuff 3 years old. I have no idea how these others are storing theirs to have it look like that.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I have some FMS zinc ammo that has been stored inside for a couple of years. Looks fine don't know why the other posters are having problems.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 3:09:45 PM EDT
[#12]
FWIW, I recently picked up some newer Barnaul produced Silver Bear and it seems to have some sort of coating on the case. Much shinier and slick than the older Uly produced Silver Bear. Don't know if it will inhibit oxidization.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 3:45:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Silver Bear is my favorite steel case import for the AR.  I stored it in original cardboard packing in a Michigan basement with no problems.  Have a bunch of it loaded in mags.  I never experienced any tarnishing.  

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top