Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2012 9:43:36 PM EDT
so I am looking into slugs. I have tried remington slugger and federal rifled slugs. I want something for range use and for Defence. what slugs do you guys like and why?
Being shot out of my remington 870.
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 10:17:34 PM EDT
[#1]
This is being discussed in another thread (his question was more broad) and I say this because the advice given is correct. See what works in you gun, pattern it with lots of stuff.

That said, I have used and like the stopping power of slugs so I dug in and found out what worked in my 870.

Have a look at Brenneke slugs. Most impressive and I can hit stuff a great deal further that most people think (Vang comp barrel might be helping too).

www.brennekeusa.com
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 10:35:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 7:04:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

so I am looking into slugs. I have tried remington slugger and federal rifled slugs. I want something for range use and for Defense. what slugs do you guys like and why?

Being shot out of my remington 870.

might want to look at buck for that, depending on conditons

Link Posted: 8/23/2012 7:20:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I have been a fan of the Tru-ball slugs for a long time. The DP version in new to me, I'll check that out.

Also, the Fed Tru-ball slugs can be found in a blue shell marketed to LE loaded at "normal" and low recoil velocity, and I've seen it at regular outdoor/sporting goods store like Gander Mtn. or Dicks in a dark red shell sold for hunting. I suspect they are the same.
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 9:29:41 AM EDT
[#5]
The Winchester HP slugs I get in walmart work for me.  I'm sure they are not the best but I can hit a steal pate at 50 yards with no problem. And they are cheap.
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I used the Hornady SST 12 GA SLUG 300 GR FTX slugs last season and I was very pleased.

ETA: Whoops, I thought we were talking about slugs for whitetail hunting.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#7]
For self defense or LE use I prefer a slug load that sends a single projectile downrange as opposed to multi projectile loads like "tru-ball"

*In before someone who has never disected a truball shell tries to claim its a single projectile load.

Link Posted: 8/24/2012 2:17:06 PM EDT
[#8]
the best slug is the one that is the most accurate through your gun. I really don'ty think a guy needs to make slug selection for self defense overly complicated. Any slug that impacts soft tissue is going to put a serious hurtin on the person on the receiving end. I personally use plain jane Fed classic 1oz slugs in my 870 because they are the most accurate at 50yds.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 2:36:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Brenekke KOs have always been very accurate out of my benellis and remingtons. They're also harder due to more antimony in the lead, which helps them penetrate better, along with being solid lead, as opposed to to foster style slug.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 2:48:00 PM EDT
[#10]
what do you guys think of these? my walmart sells them. for HD and practice.

Federal 3/4" rifled slugs. 1 oz.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
the best slug is the one that is the most accurate through your gun.

Point of impact is more important than accuracy.  4" groups that hit point of aim with your brl are better than 2" groups that hit a foot low and 8" right with your brl.

When using a fixed sighted sighted shotgun (bead or vent rib) first find a load that shoots to aim. Those with adjustable sights can skip this step assuming the sights have enough range of adjustment.

None of my several shotguns, or spare brls for a single shotgun use the same slugs.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#12]
or these

Link Posted: 8/24/2012 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#13]

I wouldnt use them for self defense. Each shot send a 1-ounce slug, a 70 caliber nylon wadcutter and a 50 caliber nylon ball down range. The latter two are completly unpredictable in where (who) they will hit.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I wouldnt use them for self defense. Each shot send a 1-ounce slug, a 70 caliber nylon wadcutter and a 50 caliber nylon ball down range. The latter two are completly unpredictable in where (who) they will hit.

I was meaning to put on hydro shocks.... got the wrong picture.
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
what do you guys think of these? my walmart sells them. for HD and practice.

http://www.larryssg.com/images/products/950x450/410-ga-federal-power-shok-2-1-2-in-1-4-oz-rifled-slug-hollow-point.jpg
Federal 3/4" rifled slugs. 1 oz.

those are what I use. Through my 870 they shoot POA at 50yds and group really good.
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
the best slug is the one that is the most accurate through your gun.

Point of impact is more important than accuracy.  4" groups that hit point of aim with your brl are better than 2" groups that hit a foot low and 8" right with your brl.

When using a fixed sighted sighted shotgun (bead or vent rib) first find a load that shoots to aim. Those with adjustable sights can skip this step assuming the sights have enough range of adjustment.

None of my several shotguns, or spare brls for a single shotgun use the same slugs.

true, I guess for me I consider an accurate gun one that shoots POA and groups well. I should've stated that in my original reply.
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Brenneke 2 3/4" Field Mag.  

Light recoil, exceptional accuracy, and devastating exterior ballistics.  

I have shot though 4' feet of sturdy animal with these.  They break bears.  I have shot them out to 200 yards on steel man targets with a 20" iron sighted 870.  Team Member DualShooter witnessed it.  

When you absolutely positively gotta kill that mother fucker in a car behind a brick wall, accept no substitutes.
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I say hexolit32

Hexolit32

This is 12ga. DDupleks 2 3/4″ 1 1/8oz Expanding Shotgun Ammo. The Hexolit 32 is a variation of the DUPO28 and is also a slug with an extremely enormous impact effect. When hitting the body, the frontal part of the slug instantly increases from 18.5 to 36-38 mm in diameter – this is the largest slug expansion diameter ever known. It creates an entrance hole with a 3.5 cm diameter, hits powerfully with all its expansion area and disintegrates into six symmetric splinters – essentially becoming six individual blades. The splinter cone causes an extensive area of damage. The unified effect of a hydrodynamic and pneumatic shockwave inside the body, along with splinter damage, ensures a unique instant stopping effect with the Hexolit 32 slug, which provides good results even with imperfect hits. This ammo comes packed in 5 round boxes/50boxes to a case.
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 3:09:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I say hexolit32

Hexolit32

http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/39290-2/ddupleks_slugs_7700.jpg

This is 12ga. DDupleks 2 3/4″ 1 1/8oz Expanding Shotgun Ammo. The Hexolit 32 is a variation of the DUPO28 and is also a slug with an extremely enormous impact effect. When hitting the body, the frontal part of the slug instantly increases from 18.5 to 36-38 mm in diameter – this is the largest slug expansion diameter ever known. It creates an entrance hole with a 3.5 cm diameter, hits powerfully with all its expansion area and disintegrates into six symmetric splinters – essentially becoming six individual blades. The splinter cone causes an extensive area of damage. The unified effect of a hydrodynamic and pneumatic shockwave inside the body, along with splinter damage, ensures a unique instant stopping effect with the Hexolit 32 slug, which provides good results even with imperfect hits. This ammo comes packed in 5 round boxes/50boxes to a case.

Interesting, but exotic.  Falls into the same category as Glaser or Mag Safe IMO.  Cool and neat, but not something you'd buy a case of 500 with for serious bidness.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top