Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/14/2011 11:58:57 AM EDT
Opinions on using a Job Box for ammo storage? Are they too easy to break into?
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 1:07:18 PM EDT
[#1]
A lot of people do it.

The controversy is 'Wheels or No Wheels'
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#2]
They work great as long as you have a forklift/palletjack.  Once full you can not move them by hand.  Check craigslist to get them cheap.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 3:22:48 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have wheels they will move !
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 6:10:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Buddy of mine uses a one and that sucker is *heavy* when its full.

Great for storage, sucks when you have to move it.  I have a spare ammo can that I load up with whatever I'm taking to the range, and keep the rest of my ammo in other cans.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 6:55:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Rigid job box. It has recessed locking, the master locks fit into the recesses...you can't get to them to use bolt cutters. Someone could cut into one with a saw, but they aren't hauling that heavy bastard out of the house.
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 11:42:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the Ridgid Job Box also.  It is so heavy that I can't move it.  I keep it in a spare bedroom along with my gun safe and shooting supplies.  Even if someone wanted to take it, it will only fit through the door when standing on end.   It is very secure and convenient to use.  It can hold up to 41 ammo cans if I remove the shelf.

Link Posted: 7/17/2011 12:22:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I have thought about this for sometime, and it always seems to make sense

1. it's big and bulky
2. it's heavy
3. It's heavier when full of XXXXXXX

Once i have enough ammo this will be my storage solution.
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you have wheels they will move !

Yes but that depends on how heavy they are.
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 8:09:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Worth it IMO. A few cases of ammo is worth as much as a gun these days.

3 layers of .50 cal cans. No wheels. This sucker isn't going anywhere.

Link Posted: 7/17/2011 10:16:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By ––bullseye––:

Worth it IMO. A few cases of ammo is worth as much as a gun these days.

3 layers of .50 cal cans. No wheels. This sucker isn't going anywhere.

I bet it would move as easy a a gun safe.

Leverage from a crowbar and some golf balls or plasitc pipe will move near anything

Link Posted: 7/18/2011 5:11:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice! I need a bigger job box !!
Link Posted: 7/18/2011 6:01:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Great place to store ammo.
Link Posted: 7/18/2011 6:19:48 AM EDT
[#13]
They work great mine is full, need another.  Sits by safe, being watched by motion detector. Mine is huge greenlee.
Link Posted: 7/18/2011 6:40:00 AM EDT
[#14]
if you wanted the job box to stay in one spot you could use drive pins or concrete anchors to anchor it in place :P
Link Posted: 7/18/2011 7:59:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I love my Rigid box - got it on Craigslist for $100 cash from a roofing business that went under.  It's nice and beat up which adds to the camouflage  Loaded about 60% at this point with ammo cans of various sizes, and it's already way too heavy to move by hand.  Good way to store ammo cans IMO without them easily walking off.
Link Posted: 7/18/2011 2:31:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
if you wanted the job box to stay in one spot you could use drive pins or concrete anchors to anchor it in place :P

This... serveral ways to accomplish securing the box

I didnt really want to drill into the foundation - post tensioned slab..  my luck I would drill a cable and 'POING' there goes my foundation warranty...

buy a good box (commercial quality - thickest metal you can find).  Got a good deal on mine - almost brand new.. They're out there, just keep an eye out..  buy the best locks that will fit..  

I ran bolts thru the back of the box - thru two 2x6's and into the studs in the wall behind the box (you have to have enough room away from the wall to clear the lid when opening)...   you cant see or get to the 1/2" lag bolts from the outside of the box or at least you dont know where they are going thru the wood..  put one below the other - two bolts per stud..   used grade 8 washers on the bolts..  someone would have to cut all along the back of the box - cutting the bolts - with a sawzall or something and once they did that those criminal crap bags would have to move that sucker...    I cut the handles off and it doesnt have wheels so good luck..  If I ever wanted to move it I would just open it up, take the ammo out (in ammo cans), and run out the bolts, patch the little holes and move the empy box with a dolly..  

Is it perfect - no not at all..  guess someone could cut the studs out of the wall and take it with them..  or just show up some gas powered cutting tool and try cutting the whole lid off..   But damn...  one thing is for sure tho -  someone wants to steal my ammo they better pack a lunch and get ready - I aint make'n it easy for 'em

cheap, easy way to store a ton of ammo (litterally)..  

Link Posted: 7/18/2011 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Is it perfect - no not at all..  guess someone could cut the studs out of the wall and take it with them..  or just show up some gas powered cutting tool and try cutting the whole lid off..   But damn...  one thing is for sure tho - someone wants to steal my ammo they better pack a lunch and get ready - I aint make'n it easy for 'em

cheap, easy way to store a ton of ammo (litterally)..  

I love it!  Made me laugh my arse off.
Link Posted: 7/19/2011 2:09:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Here are some pics from a friend of mine who fire insulated his Rigid Jobox.  He then lined it with pegboard to protect the fireboard.

A bit of work.  The first one took a while getting the measurement and such down, but the second one went much faster...

Bill of Materials:
~75 or so ¼ x 2” carriage bolts

~25 or so ¼” x 2.5” carriage bolts

~100 ¼” washers
~100 ¼” nylock nuts

1.5 sheets 5/8” fire rated sheet rock

1.5 sheets ½” mold rated sheet rock

3 ea 4’ x 4’ panels of peg board

1 RIDGID job site tool box (or JOBOX, or KNACK, etc…approx 48” x 24” x 28”)

2 American 5200 padlocks

Link Posted: 9/14/2011 11:49:09 AM EDT
[#19]
So, after some research and many recommendations from you guys here, I also decided to use the Ridgid Job Box. I love it. Plenty of room for ammo and some various supplies. Most of my ammo is in the ammo cans with desiccant packs.

I love the recessed pad lock chambers.

Link Posted: 9/14/2011 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 11:25:54 AM EDT
[#21]
The weak point is the locks.  A cordless drill and 3/8" bit and they are open in seconds.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 12:32:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Best one I've seen was in the Zombie forum made by Ifixvws:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2595/4351266051_2cbed24a2b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4076/4918696678_e25e3e9ccb.jpg

If you're going to use a Job Box might as well do it with some style.

Shi! that sort of looks like mine!!

Link Posted: 9/15/2011 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The weak point is the locks.  A cordless drill and 3/8" bit and they are open in seconds.

So you know that trick too.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

what trick? are you guys just referring to drilling the lock?

another question i have is on capacity. someone above posted theres holds 41 ammo cans. whats the capacity of the 2048-os if packed with 50 cal cans. i was looking at getting the bigger one but have to measure to see if i can get it in the basement. thanks
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

^This^
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

what trick? are you guys just referring to drilling the lock?

The brass on the Masterlock cylinders is soft and only takes seconds to drill out.  The boxes designed to take the No 5 Master locks don't work well with any high security padlocks I have found.  If you have a drill laying around the thief isn't even going to bother looking for the keys.    
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Put a padlock on it to slow them down.  Install a maglock inside, they will have to cut it open to get in if you do it right.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 9:58:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What would you do to make it harder to drill open?

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 10:28:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Use a combo lock.. duh!
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 8:59:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Use a combo lock.. duh!

Those are even easier to open!

I'm still working on it.  I was thinking of a hardened steel hasp that would cover the recessed locks secured with a high security lock like one from ABUS that used a hardened steel cylinder.

Link Posted: 9/17/2011 9:22:13 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Use a combo lock.. duh!

Those are even easier to open!

I'm still working on it.  I was thinking of a hardened steel hasp that would cover the recessed locks secured with a high security lock like one from ABUS that used a hardened steel cylinder.

A battery powered grinder with a good cut-off wheel will open any of those boxes like a can of tunafish.

Don't ask me how I know this.

They're only good to keep the casual browsers, unindustrious kids, or ill-equipped thieves out.

If you get invaded by ill-equipped thieves or thieves in a hurry - you're good.

I don't deny that it'll keep most kids and/or relatives out.

IMHO, I have other opinions as well.

Link Posted: 9/17/2011 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#32]
I have a buddy that welded the mount for one of those hockey puck locks like they use on cargo vans to the outside of his job box... that might increase security...
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have a buddy that welded the mount for one of those hockey puck locks like they use on cargo vans to the outside of his job box... that might increase security...

but it's the relative-thin walls of the box that are the weak point, as was posted above.  Why bother attacking a lock when you can just cut off the hinges or cut the top like a can of tuna fish?
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 12:06:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have the Ridgid Job Box also.  It is so heavy that I can't move it.  I keep it in a spare bedroom along with my gun safe and shooting supplies.  Even if someone wanted to take it, it will only fit through the door when standing on end.   It is very secure and convenient to use.  It can hold up to 41 ammo cans if I remove the shelf.

http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm345/miksal_99/IMG_1565.jpg

http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm345/miksal_99/IMG_1563.jpg

That looks like it would be a good gun safe. Have the guns laying down instead, like rifles are shipped in military crates.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 1:46:12 PM EDT
[#35]
in my case i am not getting this to stop a burgular. but more to keep the kids out and on the rare occasion that i have someone in my house to do some type of work the tool box is a little more low key then the ammo wall i have now.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
in my case i am not getting this to stop a burgular. but more to keep the kids out and on the rare occasion that i have someone in my house to do some type of work the tool box is a little more low key then the ammo wall i have now.

I use one for the same.  It's a little beat up and has a miter saw on top.  Only my close friends know what's inside.  I just wish they were more secure.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 1:57:21 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm thinking one of these will be a good choice for an apartment.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

At least it doesn't scream "gun safe".

Link Posted: 9/17/2011 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least it doesn't scream "gun safe".

Camoflauge is the answer.  Build a bottomless box with a hinged lid that slides down over the job box.  Make it out of cedar or some pretty girly wood.  Make it tall enough so when you open it there is room for a wooden tray to fit in that space to hide the steel lid.  Buy an old wedding dress at a thrift shop and fill the top tray with it - neatly folded and scented.  Voila' - a hope chest.  No ammo here.

Link Posted: 9/17/2011 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Man this right here is why I come to these forums..   good stuff - I did not know it was that easy to drill out the locks...   This a problem that MUST be solved - that is just too easy and quick to get in the box..  hmmmmm....  I do have a welder..  I like the idea of covering the locks.  maybe some type of hinged 1/4'' strip to cover the locks and then secure that with a much better lock..  plus after seeing the painted zombie boxes this would give me an excuse to paint it  - digital camo anyone

the quickest easiest way I can think of without needing a welder would be to use a chain.........

If the weak point is the locks that it has to use (master lock) - what about wrapping the box with the biggest chain you can find and locking it with a much better (undrillable/uncuttable) lock ?

if wrapped over the top (lid) and underneath  - the legs would keep the chain from being slid off the side of the box (wrapped tight)..   you could even install wood or metal 'spacers' underneath (bolted thru the bottom of the box) - filling in the space under the box - only leaving enough room for the chain to go under the middle of the box..  there is no way it could be sild off the side of the box if done like that...  anyone have a good lock they would recommend?   I may just have to use my google fu on that one

if bolted down or to the wall, and full of ammo - and even better with the handles cut off - it would be very difficult to move into a position to get the chain to slide off...

This would also solve the problems of cutting the hinges..  you are not limited to what chain and lock to use except for the space under the box..   I'm picturing the chain used for boat anchors on yachts

Either way I will be doing something to resolve this issue...  

I dunno, guess someone could still cut a hole in the side with a cutting tool but that's not quick..  damn, if they come in like that you've got problems ..   main thing is deterrence and to slow them down..  if your really worried about a crew of blacksmiths coming in and robbing you - go get a couple sheets of 1/2 steel and a welder and make one that will last longer than the pyramids..  but that will certainly cost more than a job box and chain off Craigslist  
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 5:05:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This is why I'm using it. I know it's not going to stop a prepared burglar. I know that the metal can easily be cut with a grinder. It's just a nice storage chest and is much cheaper and more practical than getting another safe. Plus, it's camouflaged so most people wouldn't know ammo was in there(although some burglars may be wanting to steal some power tools and would want in there) and it's guarded by 2 dogs that are in there when I'm not home.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 5:59:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Some job boxes we have at the comapny I work for have heavy gauge steel "domes" welded, covering the locks so that there is barely enough room to get your hand up there to undo the lock.

Kind of like this, but beefier . . .
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 6:28:07 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is why I'm using it. I know it's not going to stop a prepared burglar. I know that the metal can easily be cut with a grinder. It's just a nice storage chest and is much cheaper and more practical than getting another safe. Plus, it's camouflaged so most people wouldn't know ammo was in there(although some burglars may be wanting to steal some power tools and would want in there) and it's guarded by 2 dogs that are in there when I'm not home.

These are along my trains of thoughts as well.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 9:03:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Does anybody use one of these to store guns, not just ammo?
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#45]
i would put guns in one if you dont have any humidity problems and its only to keep the kids and curious eyes out. you can spray glue safe carpet on the interior and make some racks like its one of those surplus gun crates.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Does anybody use one of these to store guns, not just ammo?

I have and have not had any problems.  As long as the location is dry you shouldn't have any problems.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#47]
just picked mine up from the depot. i will see how the bottom holds up with the box packed full of ammo cans.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 12:11:49 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

just picked mine up from the depot. i will see how the bottom holds up with the box packed full of ammo cans.

How about post some pictures as you fill it with ammo cans.

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:

How about post some pictures as you fill it with ammo cans.  

ok so this is what i got. i wasnt able to fit everything in there. not even close. i wish i would have just left everything in the cardboard cause i would have probably fit more. if you use 50 cal cans i think you can get 41 of them in there. i mixed it in some 30 cal cans so didnt get quite that many in there.

this is what i had before. so the box is a big improvement.this is a old pic so there is some new ammo and  i switched out of those crappy plastic boxes into the 50 cal cans.

heres the new box starting with the first of three layers.

second layer.

third layer.

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 2:32:17 PM EDT
[#50]
i was able to get 37 50 cal cans and 10 30 cal cans in there. there is room above the last layer as the lid is a few inches deep. so i threw some stuff in to take advantage of the left over room. its a good place to store some leftover boxes of ammo or some mags.

i included this photo just to show you guys what i set mine on. my basement gets water once in a while but nothing crazy. but i added extra base just incase. plus its nice that the box is higher and easier to get things in and out. i put three sets of 24" lentils and thin rubber pad between the lentils and the box.

here what i have left that didnt fit.

i guess there is another job box in my future. i am really bummed that i am not able to fit the larger size box into my basement as it would probably hold all the ammo i have.

hopefully this is some help to you guys that are thinking of getting one of these. i am open to suggestions on how to pack it differently to get more in there. if anybody that has one has come up with something better. thanks.

i wanted to add  that this box is model 2048-os which is 24"deep x 48"long x 28"high and cost 279$
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?keyword=storge+chests&selectedCatgry=SEARCH+ALL&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&Ntpc=1&Ntpr=1
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top