Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 5:12:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By supermanct:

i have had better luck with milder loads

View Quote

Just about every 5.56mm load that I've ever tested has produced improved accuracy simply by reducing the muzzle velocity.

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:04:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Molon:

Just about every 5.56mm load that I've ever tested has produced improved accuracy simply by reducing the muzzle velocity.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I'm sure there's a velocity sweet spot (barrel dependent, of course) for each bullet design.  Pushing them as fast as you can just magnifies the effects of individual bullet differences on flight and thus accuracy.  And .224" bullets ain't particularly forgiving in manufacturing, because they are small; small dimensions and reasonable cost are enemies when it comes to precision.

So here's a practical question.  If I were to plan out a practical and accurate load using Hornady's wonderful 55gr FMJs and a "5.56mm-class" loading, how much below M193-like muzzle velocity would you expect I'd need to go to optimize that bullet's performance?  And would reducing the MV for best accuracy require adjusting M193-specific iron sights for such a load? (Honest question - I don't have a ballistics calculator handy...). And ditto for a 62 grain OTM bullet...  
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By GHPorter:

I'm sure there's a velocity sweet spot (barrel dependent, of course) for each bullet design.  Pushing them as fast as you can just magnifies the effects of individual bullet differences on flight and thus accuracy.  And .224" bullets ain't particularly forgiving in manufacturing, because they are small; small dimensions and reasonable cost are enemies when it comes to precision.

So here's a practical question.  If I were to plan out a practical and accurate load using Hornady's wonderful 55gr FMJs and a "5.56mm-class" loading, how much below M193-like muzzle velocity would you expect I'd need to go to optimize that bullet's performance?  And would reducing the MV for best accuracy require adjusting M193-specific iron sights for such a load? (Honest question - I don't have a ballistics calculator handy...). And ditto for a 62 grain OTM bullet...  

View All Quotes

If you reduce the M193 velocity by ~150 FPS, you should start to see acceptable results.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#4]

If you reduce the M193 velocity by ~150 FPS, you should start to see acceptable results.
View All Quotes

Interesting.  I'd have expected to need to slow down quite a bit more than that.  Cool info!  And 150 or so FPS shouldn't affect iron sight settings enough to worry about.  Very nice to know.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 7:10:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting.  I'd have expected to need to slow down quite a bit more than that.  Cool info!  And 150 or so FPS shouldn't affect iron sight settings enough to worry about.  Very nice to know.

View All Quotes

The 150 FPS isn't any guarantee, it's just a good starting point.  

Link Posted: 4/14/2017 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't understand the discrepancies.
MK318 - 1
MK318 - 2

Didn't DOD say this had to have a 2 MOA standard?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:20:21 AM EDT
[#7]
A helpful federal rep told me their current contract requirement Is 10 shots within 4.5 inches.  I'm not sure if that's entirely true just want to pass it on. I'm hoping the new batch will be better than the previous sub-par results.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:35:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I thought this ammo was dead?  Not reload/bullet pulls, but factory ammo.   Am I incorrect?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Federal just released some fresh ammo and I was told they will probably release more this summer. The Marines are still using  MK318 right?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Has anyone seen the mod 1 non lead silver tip mk318 ? I have a few hundred of the 2010 run
and a few hundred of the 2014 run and sitting on about 1500 pulls. My 14.5 colt likes 25.0gr of cfe223 and a cci41. I always wanted to try the WC 842 pull down powder . Would love to find a ab49 ammo can also.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 1:46:49 PM EDT
[#11]
what do you guys think about using mk318 as a SD round in civilian terms? i feel like the copper core could be too much of a liability when it passes clean through a bag guy.

as a battlefield round, its probably up there as one of the best along with tsx, gmx and 855a1 for barrier penetration.

just not sure how i feel about carrying it in my truck gun right now. i think fusion msr would be adequate to stop penetrate a windshield if needed.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 3:40:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ITCHY-FINGER] [#12]
Originally Posted By mr_h:
what do you guys think about using mk318 as a SD round in civilian terms? i feel like the copper core could be too much of a liability when it passes clean through a bag guy.

as a battlefield round, its probably up there as one of the best along with tsx, gmx and 855a1 for barrier penetration.

just not sure how i feel about carrying it in my truck gun right now. i think fusion msr would be adequate to stop penetrate a windshield if needed.
View Quote
I am a huge fan of the Fusion MSR. It seems to do everything well: expand, penetrate, fairly accurate. Probably the best SD load in my opinion.

With that said, I have been buying and playing with the MK318 Mod 0 lately. I'm very intrigued by the idea of a round with very short neck, explosive frag, coupled with deep penetration.

Most of my MK318 Mod 0 groups have been around 2.5MOA (5 shots at 100). My worst group was one solitary 4" group, thanks to a flier. My best was 1.75". This is in line with the XM193 that I stack and is my practice and tier 2 ammo. The MK318 also has about the same POI as the loads I shoot, which is important since my BH 50 TSX and the FBI 62gr tactical bonded loads have a weird POI shifts from my practice loads.

Just today, using a PSA upper, 16" middy with extra heavy barrel, "premium" chrome lined (non CHF), I shot the following 5 shot groups at 100 yards. Using ACOG, TA11 G-H.

MK 318......................2.5"
MK 318......................2.7"
GECO 55gr 223..........1.7"
MK262 77gr...............1.6" (mixed up BH, IMI, and CBC leftovers)
XM193 LC08...............2.9"
Fed Fusion (non MSR) 2.7"

Looking at Molon's excellent post, most of his MK318 shots are grouping fairly good with 2 or 3 "fliers" that opened up the group to 2.7-2.9". One could statistically get some excellent 5 shot groups... Which is another example of why 10 shot groups are more statistically significant.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:49:26 AM EDT
[#13]
My URG with a FN 10.3" SOCOM barrel likes all three of these combat rounds.  I only use M855 for range use.

Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 12:40:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Any MK318 mod0 T556TNB1 still available?
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 1:50:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Gunbroker maybe?

It's not just sitting on a shelf everywhere, but  sure it can be found.
Get your wallet ready.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:23:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By mybronco2:
Gunbroker maybe?

It's not just sitting on a shelf everywhere, but  sure it can be found.
Get your wallet ready.
View Quote
Yes! MK318 & MK319 added to supply
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 2:15:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Tejas1836:

View Quote
Wow didn’t know MK319 was still around I have a few cases from years ago, and never heard it come up anymore so figure it was an obselete round - that there may be better ones out there now ...I recall them costing quite a fortune around 6 years ago when I picked them up.

The MK318 I’ve seen last couple years. Picked up a few cases from Bone Frog, forget the price but wasn’t the cheapest..
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 10:29:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Any MK318 mod0 T556TNB1 still available?
View Quote
Mod 1 will probably start hitting a few of the more hole in the wall sites this year I'm guessing. Federal has a contract for it currently, I was able to get two 1k cases of it late last year.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 11:40:49 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote
This is where I bought 2 500rd cases of the MK318 Mod0 from. They are GTG

But I see the price as went up, a bunch from what I payed a few years back.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 2:38:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: XJ01-08] [#20]
Originally Posted By dubya3:

Mod 1 will probably start hitting a few of the more hole in the wall sites this year I'm guessing. Federal has a contract for it currently, I was able to get two 1k cases of it late last year.
View Quote
One of the chain stores in Ohio got some 65,000+ rnds of Mod 1 factory blems in and they put them on sale for $6 a box. Some were missing neck or primer sealant and had some dents in the cases. Had a headstamp from 17.

One of these days I'm gonna do some velocity and accuracy tests with the missing sealant ones.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:23:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Mk318 Mod 0 is obsolete and no longer made.  Federal now makes the Mk318 Mod 1.  It’s got. Little better BC and it is a nickel coated projectile. They call it the silver bullet
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 4:23:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Alexbrooks:
Mk318 Mod 0 is obsolete and no longer made.  Federal now makes the Mk318 Mod 1.  It’s got. Little better BC and it is a nickel coated projectile. They call it the silver bullet
View Quote
https://www.hstoday.us/federal-pages/dhs/federal-premium-ammunition-awarded-116m-in-dhs-dod-contracts/
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 5:46:41 AM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JohnDough:
Originally Posted By Alexbrooks:
https://www.hstoday.us/federal-pages/dhs/federal-premium-ammunition-awarded-116m-in-dhs-dod-contracts/
That is wrong and a misprint.  It’s Mod 1.  I see it being made. Mod 1 is the DHS contract. Packaging even says mod 1 to dhs
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 3:30:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By 87GN:
Glad to see that you're still here.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 10:34:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By OldArmy:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By OldArmy:
Originally Posted By 87GN:
Glad to see that you're still here.
That quote is from 9/26/2010
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 4:58:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Still have a case of it.  Going to use it after I'm out of Mk262.  Got cases of M855A1 for range use.

Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 5:23:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Looks like they are finally selling the bullets from the mk318 pretty good deal too just have to buy 2k
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022739538
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Most of the broken picture links repaired.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 1:13:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Thank you Molon!

btw, Mod 1 seems to much tighter shooting than Mod 0
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 8:35:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#30]
Originally Posted By mcantu:
btw, Mod 1 seems to much tighter shooting than Mod 0
View Quote

Definitely.

Link Posted: 11/7/2021 7:16:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Is that bullet actually purple?  I’ve had some recent experience with .40 S&W cases stained purple, so I had to ask…
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 9:11:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Is that bullet actually purple?  I've had some recent experience with .40 S&W cases stained purple, so I had to ask
View Quote
it's silver

Link Posted: 11/7/2021 9:31:46 PM EDT
[#33]

Damn that is some pretty shit.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 5:44:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#34]
Is that bullet actually purple?
View Quote

Nickel-plated.

Link Posted: 11/24/2021 6:04:52 PM EDT
[#35]

How does the bullet length compare to the Mod 0?
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 6:19:03 PM EDT
[#36]
How does the bullet length compare to the Mod 0?
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:35:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnDough] [#37]
I found myself curious, so I fired 4 ten shot groups, consecutively (letting the weapon cool, though),  yesterday with mk318 mod 0 sost. I changed my position behind the gun for one of the groups, and you can see it shifted left and shows a bit of vertical movement...no butterfly shots here, though. The weapon used is a Hodge mod 2 with a KAC  11.5" barrel and URX4. It is topped with an nx8 1-8 in a Badger c1 mount. The muzzle is tipped with a MAMS, and this range session saw a QDC 5.56 can in place. The groups were fired from the bench with a bag under the front of the rail, and under the buttstock.

Distance is 100 yards.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I changed position behind the gun for this group.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:48:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 12:19:02 PM EDT
[#39]
@ John............................ distance?  50yds?  

@zhukov....................... They were............... about 5yrs ago. Midway was selling 2500 bullet boxes of them.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Does anybody recall when this was still available? I bought some back in 2016 and don't recall seeing it past say maybe 2019...
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:01:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By TGH456E:

@zhukov....................... They were............... about 5yrs ago. Midway was selling 2500 bullet boxes of them.
View Quote

100 yards.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:02:02 AM EDT
[#42]

100 yards.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TGH456E:

100 yards.

Great..............THANKS!

I'd done some testing of them and posted it as well...............

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/200yd-Groups-Velocities-of-Winchester-62OT-mk318-64-GD-and-others-/16-744061/?page=1&anc=bottom#bottom
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Some things I've noticed about Mk318 over the years:

W/Mod 0, later lots shoot much better than early ones

Mod 1 shoots much tighter groups than Mod 0
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#44]

Mod 1 shoots much tighter groups than Mod 0
View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 2/25/2024 8:00:42 AM EDT
[#45]
I wonder if PSA is actually going to come through with their own version of MK318.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
MK318 Mod 0 Accuracy (Page 4 of 4)
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top