BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2010 6:24:50 PM EDT
reposted, the link to the original no longer works

Speer LE 64 Grain Gold Dot

Speer has expanded its line of Gold Dot ammunition to include rifle ammunition in 223 Remington. The ammunition examined for this post is loaded with a 64 grain bonded soft point bullet that has less exposed lead at the meplat than Federal’s 62 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullet that is used in their LE223T2 load.

The 64 grain Gold Dot bullet has a boat-tail and a cannelure. This load is charged with a ball powder that according to Speer is a “flash suppressed propellant.” The primers are sealed and crimped in place, however, there is no sealant at the case mouth.

The 64 grain Gold Dot bullet has a nominal length of 0.825” and a specific gravity of 10.0. A barrel with a 1:9” twist should stabilize it quite well.

From ATK’s website:

“Like their handgun counterparts, the Gold Dot rifle bullets are constructed using Gold Dot technology. The process of joining the jacket and core one molecule at a time eliminates the potential for the leading cause of bullet failure—jacket/core separation. It also ensures impressive weight retention through barriers as tough as auto-glass.”

The 64 grain Gold Dot load was chronographed from a 20” Colt M16A2 barrel, a 16” Colt light-weight barrel and a 14.5” Colt M4A1 barrel. All of the barrels have chrome lining, NATO chambers and 1:7” twists. 10-shot strings of the load were fired over an Oehler 35-P chronograph with “proof screen” technology. All velocities listed are muzzle velocities as calculated from the instrumental velocities using Oehler’s Ballistic Explorer software program.

Accuracy testing was conducted following my usual protocol of firing 10-shot groups from a concrete bench at a distance of 100 yards using my 24” Krieger barreled AR-15. This barrel has a 1:7.7” twist. The free-float rail of the rifle rested in a Sinclair Windage Benchrest and the PRS stock was stabilized in a Protektor bunny-ear rear bag. Wind conditions were monitored using a Wind Probe. Sighting was performed using a Leupold Competition Series scope with a mirage shade. The scope was adjusted to be parallax free at 100 yards.

Prior to testing the 64 grain Gold Dot load, I fired a 10-shot control group using hand-loaded 69 grain Sierra MatchKings. That group had an extreme spread of 0.86”. Three 10-shot groups of the Speer LE 64 grain Gold Dots fired in a row had extreme spreads that measured:

1.11”
0.91”
1.30”

for a 10-shot average extreme spread of 1.12”! I over-layed those three groups on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 30-shot composite group. The composite group had a mean radius of 0.33”.

For comparison, previous testing of the Black Hills blue box 75 grain MHP load fired from the same set-up as above produced three 10-shot groups at 100 yards that had an average extreme spread of 1.14” and a mean radius of 0.37” for the 30-shot composite group.

Velocity Update for the 64 grain Gold Dot

Manufacturers typically use bolt-action “test barrels” to obtain their advertised velocities for their ammunition.  These test barrels are usually 24” long and often have minimum spec SAAMI chambers.  These factors combine to give ammunition higher advertised velocities than the velocities that we actually obtain from our AR-15s.  Also, due to its gas operating system, the AR-15 looses 20 fps or more of velocity compared to an equivalent barrel without a gas system.  

Sierra test barrels

Shooting Times 2009

As an example, Hornady advertises the velocity of their 55 grain TAP load as 3240 fps.  When fired from an AR-15 with a 24” Krieger barrel with a 5.56 Match Chamber (and of course a gas operating system) the muzzle velocity of the 55 grain TAP load was 3167 fps, for a difference of 73 fps from the advertised velocity.

Speer’s website reports the muzzle velocity of the 64 grain Gold Dot load as 3000 fps.  When fired from my 24” Krieger barreled AR-15, the 64 grain Gold Dot load had a muzzle velocity of 2912 fps, for a difference of 88 fps from the advertised velocity.

Terminal Ballistic Properties of the 64 grain Gold Dot

Thanks to the efforts of Dr. G.K. Roberts, we now have some excellent answers to the questions of terminal ballistics pertaining to the Speer 64 grain Gold Dot LE load. The results shown below indicate the penetration of this load in bare ballistic gelatin as well as after having passed through auto-glass. Auto (safety) glass is one of the most difficult barriers (of those commonly tested) for 5.56mm/.223 Remington loads to penetrate and still perform adequately in ballistic gelatin.

Comparisons.

Notes on Data from the ATK Workshops

The ATK Workshops have a history of failing to follow the proper protocols for terminal ballistic testing and of publishing misleading and fabricated data.  As a simple example, the established method of determining the expanded diameter of a recovered bullet, is to measure the widest and narrowest portions “at the leading edge of the deformed bullet” and then average those two measurements to obtain the recovered diameter.  

Witnesses to some of the ATK Workshops have reported that the deformed bullets were measured at the widest portion of the bullet only and then that measurement only was recorded as the recovered diameter, thus giving exaggerated results.

Courtesy of Dr. G.K. Roberts

Further Inconsistences in the Test Procedures and Reported Data from the ATK Workshops.

As I’ve previously posted, the ATK Wound Ballistic Workshop at Fort Collins on 6-26-08 has a major credibility issue regarding the 64 grain Gold Dot data.  For this workshop, the stated test weapon was a 16” barreled  RRA LAR-15.  The Workshop reported a velocity of 2575 fps  for the 64 grain Gold Dot fired from said 16” barrel.

Now, look at the data from the ATK Wound Ballistic Workshop at Aurora on 6-24-08.  This Workshop reports the velocity of the 64 grain Gold Dot as exactly 2575 fps, when fired from a (Colt) Commando with an 11” barrel.  It would be next to impossible for two different barrels with a difference in length of 5” to produce the exact same velocity  with the 64 grain Gold Dot.  It's obvious that the velocity data for the 64 grain Gold Dot from one or both of the Workshops is false.

Since the Workshops failed to accurately determine/record something as basic as the velocity for the 64 grain Gold Dot, I question the validity of any of the Workshops' reported data for the 64 Grain Dot; especially something as crucial as the penetration depth.  An individual who was present at an ATK Workship stated this about the ballistic gel blocks that were used at the ATK Workshop:

"the first gelatin block was calibrated initially at the beginning but the other blocks sat outside until they were shot and were not calibrated or the temp checked prior to use.  I'm fairly certain that they were warmer than they should have been and without calibration the data was suspect, at best."

More Fabricated Data from the ATK Wound Ballistic Workshop

The ATK Wound Ballistic Workshops continue to demonstrate their lack of credibility.  In their latest report entitled “Butte – Montana 5-27-09” they include more fabricated data for the Speer 64 grain Gold Dot.

Speer advertises a muzzle velocity of 3000 fps for the 64 grain Gold Dot load when fired from a 24” barrel.  During my own chronographing of the 64 grain Gold Dot load, I obtained a muzzle velocity of 2912 fps when fired from a 24” Krieger barreled AR-15.

Using a 16” barreled M4, the ATK workshop claims to have obtained a muzzle velocity of 3000 fps for the 64 grain Gold Dot load.  Using a barrel that is 8 INCHES SHORTER, the ATK workshop claims to have obtained the exact same muzzle velocity as advertised from a 24” barrel.  It’s quite obvious that the ATK workshop never even chronographed the 64 grain Gold Dot load and then falsified their report using the advertised muzzle velocity.  The irresponsible  practices of the ATK workshops and their failures to adhere to established protocols for terminal ballistic testing renders all of their data suspect.

Link Posted: 4/4/2010 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Good report, Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/5/2010 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow...

That is impressive overall performance Molon.

I have yet to see this load for sale anywhere though.  I'd love to find some...
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Good report, Thanks.

Da nada.

Link Posted: 4/16/2010 11:22:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good report, Thanks.

Da nada.http://www.box.net/shared/static/ig2mmpy7g3.gif

great report as always.

In before the Spanish speaking spelling nazis

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 3:56:55 AM EDT
[#5]
You really need to write a book or at least get in contact with a magazine to write some articles.  I always enjoy your analysis - it is very informative.

Spooky
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 9:37:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You really need to write a book or at least get in contact with a magazine to write some articles.  I always enjoy your analysis - it is very informative.

Spooky

This.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Spooky

The gun rags aren't interested in truth, they are interested in selling their advertisers wares. They will never print anything that shows an advertiser in a poor light.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:42:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Wow...

That is impressive overall performance Molon.

I have yet to see this load for sale anywhere though.  I'd love to find some...

Here:

http://www.northwestshootersupply.com/speer223rem556x45mm64grgolddothollowpoint20rds.aspx
Link Posted: 4/22/2010 1:38:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spooky

The gun rags aren't interested in truth, they are interested in selling their advertisers wares. They will never print anything that shows an advertiser in a poor light.

Yup and most gun-rag writers aren’t about to write anything that jeopardizes their stream of free ammunition and firearms to play with.  Everything that I evaluate is purchased on my own dime, so that there can be no accusations of bias on my part.

Link Posted: 4/22/2010 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You really need to write a book . . .

Funny you should mention that . .

Link Posted: 4/24/2010 4:45:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 4/24/2010 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the write-up, Molon.

How would you say the Gold Dot compares to the Barnes TSX bullets?

<––––––- curious TSX fan.

Link Posted: 4/25/2010 6:51:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

left click

Link Posted: 4/25/2010 7:20:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

left click

Thank ya sir!

EDIT: Now I remember reading that post awhile back. Sorry I forgot about it.
Thanks again for re-posting it.

Link Posted: 5/1/2010 7:29:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

left click

Thank ya sir!

EDIT: Now I remember reading that post awhile back. Sorry I forgot about it. Thanks again for re-posting it.

Da nada.

Link Posted: 5/2/2010 12:42:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#17]

That's the concept (and the shiny nickel case).  We shall see!

Link Posted: 5/3/2010 4:55:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I live where speer/cci/gold dot etc. is manufactured. Molon have you tested any of the 5.56mm GD 64gr yet? Maybe I can get some 64gr 5.56mm and send it you for some testing
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Where can one find this 5.56 Gold Dot ammo? All I an find is the .223 stuff.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.box.net/shared/static/dzt2hes8h8.jpg

So is the book ready? is it for sale? I am in. Where can we get it?
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 12:49:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Northwestshootersupply.com.  20 rounds Speer Gold Dot 64gr PSP for $20.88.  Not always the least expensive source but they had quality ammo in stock and shipping same day 18 months ago which is more than some other vendors can say.
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Northwestshootersupply.com.  20 rounds Speer Gold Dot 64gr PSP for $20.88.  Not always the least expensive source but they had quality ammo in stock and shipping same day 18 months ago which is more than some other vendors can say.

Seems to be the .223 pressured stuff.

The part number for the 5.56 stuff is 24456. Northwest lists their Gold Dots as Part No: 24448LE.
Link Posted: 5/9/2010 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.box.net/shared/static/dzt2hes8h8.jpg

So is the book ready? is it for sale? I am in. Where can we get it?

I'm still compiling data.  (Which means it will be a while.)

Link Posted: 6/5/2010 8:09:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems to be the .223 pressured stuff.

The part number for the 5.56 stuff is 24456. Northwest lists their Gold Dots as Part No: 24448LE.

Correct.

Link Posted: 6/6/2010 6:10:08 AM EDT
[#25]
thanks, you did a great job.
Link Posted: 6/6/2010 4:45:13 PM EDT
[#26]

So i am correct in saying that as of right now there is no source for the 5.56 gold dot load with the nickel case?
Link Posted: 6/6/2010 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I have purchased them from gtdist.com in the past.  You have to be LE to order.  Also, they do not show them on the website, only the .223 version.  But if you call and speak to a sales rep and give them the 5.56 part number, they may still have them in stock.
Link Posted: 6/6/2010 6:13:11 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I have purchased them from gtdist.com in the past. You have to be LE to order. Also, they do not show them on the website, only the .223 version. But if you call and speak to a sales rep and give them the 5.56 part number, they may still have them in stock.

Great.  I'll give em a call first thing mon morning, thanx!

Link Posted: 7/6/2010 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 3:40:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Molon, where did you purchase the 5.56 gold dot from,  I tried gtdist.com as the previous poster suggested and they said they have had 21,000 rds of it on order  SINCE APRIL OF LAST YEAR!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Just got back from an ATK workshop today.  A couple of things I noticed.

They did not chronograph the rounds fired.  
The ballistic blocks were kept in a cooler until shot.
Also, the recovered bullets were measured at the widest and narrowest portion.

One thing I learned is that the 55gr TAP ammo my dept uses sucks when shot through laminated glass, which is now apparently mandatory on all windows in new vehicles.

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 11:09:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Just got back from an ATK workshop today.  A couple of things I noticed.

They did not chronograph the rounds fired.  
The ballistic blocks were kept in a cooler until shot.
Also, the recovered bullets were measured at the widest and narrowest portion.

One thing I learned is that the 55gr TAP ammo my dept uses sucks when shot through laminated glass, which is now apparently mandatory on all windows in new vehicles.

Windshields are required to be made of laminated glass.  Side and rear windows are not.  They are only tempered.  

Its seen as a safety feature so that the side windows are easy to break in case the doors are inoperable after an accident.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 4:56:47 PM EDT
[#33]
I wonder if 5.56mm pressure / velocity load is even needed

Great job as always

Link Posted: 8/8/2010 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I left a ATK workshop last week and the rep said starting next year the all windows in cars made/imprted in the U.S. will have lamenated glass. I don't know if they said this to in order to stress the use of bonded bulltets or not. They also tested one of the TAP rounds and it did as expected, it turned into dust after striking the glass. What they did not do is test some of Hornday's bonded bullets and did not tell the people that Hornady offers bonded bullets too. I was impressed though, they said there is no such thing as a magic bullet and all bullets fail, including their own. They let us shoot some of our duty rounds and it failed badly. They didn't have to do that.... Over all it was a good workshop, I just wisg=hed they had more time that way we could test some .308 rounds...
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 10:17:17 PM EDT
[#35]
I have been to several atk demos , they are not strict lab tests but they show bullet performance or lack of to P/o,the July  2010 demo  the temperature of the jell was checked before shooting, they informed us how temp changes the results of the test ,jell was keep in coolers,  no chronograph at the demos I attended. the boss who makes ammo choice does not hunt or target shoot in most departments and fear of lawsuits has caused the police to have rifle ammo  that will not go through drywall or a breastbone, real world shootings, offender safe behind auto glass and leather coat. the diameter of bullets was not averaged , was measured by volunteers , they will shoot any 9mm,40 cal,45acp 223or 308 ammo p/os bring, the ww ranger bonded 45acp performed like its supposed to. I don't understand the need addiction to have L/E marked ammo  it is just premium  hunting ammo, the 223 62grain  is bear claw bullet ,the T223s L/E  is a 55 grain Barnes triple-shok,avaiable from other companies in a loaded  round.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 1:09:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Molon,

Another round of thanks for your effort in posting these reports.  I always look forward to reading your reports on ammo.

Thanks,
Redcat
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Molon have you tested any of the 5.56mm GD 64gr yet?

I recently fired this 10-shot group of 5.56mm Gold Dots from a distance of 100 yards.  That's not too shabby for a 5.56mm load from a chrome-lined, NATO chambered barrel.  I should have some chronograph data soon.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/7ojh7143k7.jpg

I was thinking of ordering some of these (5.56mm version).  What velocity did the 5.56mm version achieve vs the .223 version?

Link Posted: 8/14/2010 11:08:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Molon have you tested any of the 5.56mm GD 64gr yet?

I recently fired this 10-shot group of 5.56mm Gold Dots from a distance of 100 yards.  That's not too shabby for a 5.56mm load from a chrome-lined, NATO chambered barrel.  I should have some chronograph data soon.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/7ojh7143k7.jpg

I was thinking of ordering some of these (5.56mm version).  What velocity did the 5.56mm version achieve vs the .223 version?

As soon as the weatherman and my work schedule cooperate, we'll know.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top