Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2017 10:09:09 PM EDT
I have a CMMG polymer dedicated .22LR charging handle. It just broke tonight. It snapped right off at the "T".  I pull back with the "pinch with the left hand" method.  I bought it thinking it would relieve any potential feeding issues.

Looking at getting a standard aluminum charging handle.  Anyone running a standard AR15 CH? Any issues with the open channel in the CH?
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:19:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a standard ch on mine.  works just fine
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:37:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a standard ch on mine.  works just fine
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:41:17 PM EDT
[#3]
It least 10,000 rds through mine with a standard charger
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:05:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 7:34:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought the CMMG one just because I could get it cheap with an order I was placing at Lanbo's Armory and I also couldn't justify using a Raptor in that situation
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 7:40:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I have had a couple get pinched in my charging handle, was no big deal to remove them and keep shooting, I have a MOD 4 and am not interested in switching to a plastic handle.
If your looking for the ultimate in reliabitlty you may want to consider it but then again its still a .22 AR....
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 8:08:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have had a couple get pinched in my charging handle, was no big deal to remove them and keep shooting, I have a MOD 4 and am not interested in switching to a plastic handle.
If your looking for the ultimate in reliability you may want to consider it but then again its still a .22 AR....
View Quote
My experience has been the same with my CMMG dedicated upper and standard AR charging handle.  I've had a couple of cases get stuck, but it's no big deal.  It's not a carbine I am using for self defense.

If you do want the strength of a standard aluminum charging handle with the reliability of CMMG's filled charging handle just get a standard AR handle and fill it with epoxy resin or bedding compound.  You'll get both.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 8:27:09 AM EDT
[#8]
my local club shot a modified 3 gun match on a pistol range for several years, using .22lr for the long gun...after a couple of case jams, did what DakotaFAL suggested and filled the charging handle with epoxy... switching to a SW15-22 mag and better mag adapter all but eliminated all problems
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:52:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:..... switching to a SW15-22 mag and better mag adapter all but eliminated all problems
View Quote
I've never used anything but this set up.  My total experience is 850 rounds, but the only CH/brass jam I've had in that time was from charging the first live round where I has left an empty brass as a snap cap.  In normal operation, the regular CH works well.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys. Picked up a BCM Mod4 from the EE. I'll add some epoxy to it once I have it in hand.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#11]
try it first, I ran a few thousand rounds through a drop in CMMG with no issues, built a dedicated .22 with the same carrier but a dedicated collar and just had my third jamb into the CH this afternoon, less than 1K though it in this configuration, go figure...
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I contacted CMMG about the broken charging handle and they are awesome enough to replace it as well. So I will keep it as a spare.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:07:46 PM EDT
[#13]
If empties are catching in the charging handle, you have other issues.
The plastic charging handle will break.
Use a mil spec.

Dave N
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:05:17 AM EDT
[#14]
IF you're having trouble with empties getting stuck in CH the dedicated version really does make a difference. I had this issue with a few so I prefer the dedicated CH.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:40:28 PM EDT
[#15]
After snapping a cheap P.O.S. "dedicated" charging handle from CMMG, I filled a TacOps-1 charging handle with JB weld. It was all of about 3 minutes of labor, and most of that was just opening the package.

Friends don't let friends buy CMMG
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top