Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2017 1:28:37 PM EDT

First a three round burst, then a two round burst half of a mag later.

QC 10 lower
Nickle-plated mil spec FCG (I think from Right to Bear)
Kaw Valley BCG
Kaw Valley 9mm buffer
Standard carbine buffer spring
Faxon 8.5" barrel
33-round Glock factory mag
Brown Bear 115 gr 9mm

The same rig went through 60 trouble-free rounds of the same Brown Bear ammo fed by two different 31 round ETS mags just prior to this occurrence, and the bolt locked open on both mags.

I packed it up after that.

?
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:42:28 PM EDT
[#1]
There's a black helicopter over your house as we speak OP. Dibs on whatever the JBT's leave after the raid. And board your dog at a friends house to ensure your pet's safety

In all seriousness though, I don't know how that happened. Tagged for some knowledge.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:47:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Firing pin got stuck in the face of the bolt.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Firing pin got stuck in the face of the bolt.
View Quote
So it was slamfiring?
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:51:12 PM EDT
[#4]
A broken hammer pin will do that.  It happened to me.  Doubles triples, and then almost an entiremag............then dead.  Sheared off.  

KNS pins are a good thing.  So is a ramped bolt.

The other time I had this happen was I fooked up and installed a small pin FCG in my large pin Colt.  Doubles and triples.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A broken hammer pin will do that.  It happened to me.  Doubles triples, and then almost an entiremag............then dead.  Sheared off.  

KNS pins are a good thing.  So is a ramped bolt.

The other time I had this happen was I fooked up and installed a small pin FCG in my large pin Colt.  Doubles and triples.
View Quote
I forgot to mention that this lower has KNS anti-rotation pins.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 3:08:29 PM EDT
[#6]
New build?

Does it pass function check?

Probably FCG, or you inadvertently 'bump fired' it (RTBA trigger has lighter springs than mil-spec).
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 3:31:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
New build?

Does it pass function check?

Probably FCG, or you inadvertently 'bump fired' it (RTBA trigger has lighter springs than mil-spec).
View Quote
This is its third range outing.  I've probably put ~400 rounds through it during the last two trips.  The only issues I've had with it thus far is failure to lock back on an empty mag, which I've been tinkering with.  It seems fine just running the action and doing a function check.

I've never even tried purposefully bump firing, but I can give it a whirl next time I hit up the range.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Yea, I would think either the hammer/disconnector is out of spec, or the firing pin is stuck forward somehow. Either way it is slam firing as the bolt returns forward into battery. If it is the firing pin stuck in the channel, then that would make it into an open bolt action heh.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 4:25:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I forgot to mention that this lower has KNS anti-rotation pins.
View Quote

What else did you fail to mention?
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#10]
A friend had the exact thing happen on a 9mm AR build.  Could not find a single problem in the FCG, it was just throwing random doubles and triples.  

Believe it or not, a new buffer spring cured it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 6:38:26 PM EDT
[#11]
my guess, perhaps bolt not coming back far enough to reset hammer on disconnector as part of the equation?  to compound what was already mentioned above.  so a less-stiff buffer spring would allow more reliable full bolt travel?  just guessing here.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:37:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Disconnect finger not have deep enough grab on hammer shelf.. CLUNK of bolt hitting home shake it enough to knock disconnect finger off hammer and let it fly
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 12:05:43 AM EDT
[#13]
It happened to me recently, swapped out FCG with a spare to start troubleshooting (no pun intended), and so far so good the last hundred or so rounds.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It happened to me recently, swapped out FCG with a spare to start troubleshooting (no pun intended), and so far so good the last hundred or so rounds.
View Quote
That cured my issue as well. Now I use an ALG ACT with no problems.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm having a similar issue with a drop in trigger.  Switched to a mil spec to run tomorrow to try and pinpoint where the issue may lie.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:13:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Look at your disconnector. You will see a spot where the tail of the hammer is hitting it. You will need to cut the tail of the hammer completely off or use a 9mm hammer.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Look at your disconnector. You will see a spot where the tail of the hammer is hitting it. You will need to cut the tail of the hammer completely off or use a 9mm hammer.
View Quote
Before -
Attachment Attached File

After -
Attachment Attached File

Hitting trigger & disconnect,, suspect hammer bind is what cause hammer pin breakage for some
Attachment Attached File

I have been 9mm since mid 2003, have not broken any pins here, but did cut tail off neutered M16 hammer about a year ago
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Nevermind, smarter people said smarter stuff
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Before -
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/997/ar-223-209894.JPG

After -
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/997/AR-15-hammer-bobbed-209892.JPG

Hitting trigger & disconnect,, suspect hammer bind is what cause hammer pin breakage for some
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/997/ar-15-inside-209893.JPG

I have been 9mm since mid 2003, have not broken any pins here, but did cut tail off neutered M16 hammer about a year ago
View Quote
Why is the hammer hitting the disconnector like that?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:51:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Why is the hammer hitting the disconnector like that?
View Quote
My guess is that the violent impulse of the blowback operation slams the tail of the hammer into the disconnector.

The impact on the disconnector may or may not prevent it from catching the hammer which would lead to doubling (or more) due to hammer follow.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:38:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Mine went full auto on an occasion...........I was using a sprinco red spring and one of those long/heavy stainless buffers..........I was firing bursts and it ran full auto until it fired out of battery and blew the extractor off the bolt..........

With a standard spring it didn't go full auto.......but once I installed the Sprinco Red spring it did................I replaced the heavy buffer with a RRA 9mm buffer and installed a rubber bumper to restrict over travel of the bolt...No full auto issues since. I inspected the FCG and found no issues ......
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:42:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Obviously, you need to install a second set of KNS pins, 'cause the first set didn't fix it enough.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:41:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Could this be caused by a missing or broken firing pin spring?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:00:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I had that issue with a non ramped bolt and a standard hammer. I've switched to ramped bolts now.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 1:04:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Before -

After -

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Before -

After -

I've searched for more information on this, why isn't this method more commonly discussed?  It seems like this would be the leading cause of doubles/auto, which is a common problem with 9mms.  This also looks to me to be the cause of trigger slap.

I've suffered from occasional doubles with a 9mm hammer and unramped bolt.  When I switched to an ALG QMS and had my bolt ramped the doubles stopped but now I see this wear on my gun too and it concerns me.  Nipping part of the tail off the hammer is easy to do, but what's stopping me from doing it is that I've never heard of this being done before, and after searching I've not found it being discussed anywhere outside this thread.

So what the dilly yo?  Nip or no nip?
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top