Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2017 9:11:19 AM EDT
I am starting my first 9mm build. I have done a few other AR builds (300Blk and 5.56) and I am running into some issues. First off like everyone else apparently there are no slick side uppers to be had so I may settle for a side charger. If I settle I know there is limited offerings of hand guards that will fit the side charger upper. On top of the limited selection I will be running a can so I need enough room inside to tuck the can in. What are any solution anyone may have?

Next issue I think I may have is buffer and spring. My 300blk I am running a JP captured spring and runs wonderfully. Not sure I want to fork over another $180 for another JP spring or go another route. What would be suggestions for reliable running with say a 5.5 inch barrel 9mm with Kak tube?
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:54:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am starting my first 9mm build. I have done a few other AR builds (300Blk and 5.56) and I am running into some issues. First off like everyone else apparently there are no slick side uppers to be had so I may settle for a side charger. If I settle I know there is limited offerings of hand guards that will fit the side charger upper. On top of the limited selection I will be running a can so I need enough room inside to tuck the can in. What are any solution anyone may have?

Next issue I think I may have is buffer and spring. My 300blk I am running a JP captured spring and runs wonderfully. Not sure I want to fork over another $180 for another JP spring or go another route. What would be suggestions for reliable running with say a 5.5 inch barrel 9mm with Kak tube?
View Quote

I used this one......https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spike_s_Tactical_Slick_Side_Upper_Receiver_Forge_p/sp-sft56m4.htm, run a BCM KMR with it...no issue at all, but don't have a can.

I am using the 9mm extended buffer from KAK w/ Sprinco Red spring in a KAK shockwave and I use a BA 5.5" barrel w/ a KAK flash can.

Zero malfunctions to date.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:05:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought the CMT UPUR-3 upper. I was waiting for QC-10 to get more uppers in stock. They had not clue when they would get them back in stock again. Hopefully my form 1 will be approved soon so I can put the Maxim defense PDW stock on it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:18:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Did you try these guys?

https://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=415&CFID=3273169&CFTOKEN=26d39d41a3a7f607-E216093C-9600-78EF-C73CBEB2F8EE296F&jsessionid=D2A2834C0DBF82FFA888F21F3CA8FBAB.cfusion

https://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=663&CFID=3273169&CFTOKEN=26d39d41a3a7f607-E216093C-9600-78EF-C73CBEB2F8EE296F&jsessionid=D2A2834C0DBF82FFA888F21F3CA8FBAB.cfusion

http://www.primaryarms.com/aero-precision-slick-side-stripped-ar-15-upper-receiver-apar610401

That's just a couple that all seem to be in stock, although I would call to confirm.

Or are you looking for a particular brand of slick side?
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:22:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I used this one......https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spike_s_Tactical_Slick_Side_Upper_Receiver_Forge_p/sp-sft56m4.htm, run a BCM KMR with it...no issue at all, but don't have a can.

I am using the 9mm extended buffer from KAK w/ Sprinco Red spring in a KAK shockwave and I use a BA 5.5" barrel w/ a KAK flash can.

Zero malfunctions to date.
View Quote
Not too be tacticool or anything but I am not sure how the Spikes upper finish will match my Spartan 9mm lower I got from JoeBob's. That and I am sort of wanting LRBHO if possible.

Forgive me but, if I order a shockwave with Kak tube and upgrade to 9mm buffer I will be good?
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:24:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Did you try these guys?

https://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=415&CFID=3273169&CFTOKEN=26d39d41a3a7f607-E216093C-9600-78EF-C73CBEB2F8EE296F&jsessionid=D2A2834C0DBF82FFA888F21F3CA8FBAB.cfusion

https://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=663&CFID=3273169&CFTOKEN=26d39d41a3a7f607-E216093C-9600-78EF-C73CBEB2F8EE296F&jsessionid=D2A2834C0DBF82FFA888F21F3CA8FBAB.cfusion

http://www.primaryarms.com/aero-precision-slick-side-stripped-ar-15-upper-receiver-apar610401

That's just a couple that all seem to be in stock, although I would call to confirm.

Or are you looking for a particular brand of slick side?
View Quote
I have found several slick sides but was hoping for LRBHO if possible. That and I am a pansy and want the upper finish to match my 9mm Spartan lower.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:35:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have found several slick sides but was hoping for LRBHO if possible. That and I am a pansy and want the upper finish to match my 9mm Spartan lower.
View Quote
Ahh, ok. Didn't realize you were doing Glock build.

As to finish, generally they should match unless Spartan does something unusual to there receivers. I used the Model 1 A3 SS and the finished matched my Black Creek Lower perfect.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ahh, ok. Didn't realize you were doing Glock build.

As to finish, generally they should match unless Spartan does something unusual to there receivers. I used the Model 1 A3 SS and the finished matched my Black Creek Lower perfect.
View Quote
Sorry, yes a glock build. I have a plethora of glock mags so might as well put them to use. According to JoeBob's website: MIL-A-8625 Type III Hard Anodizing (Deep Black). It is a different finish to my other lowers.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not too be tacticool or anything but I am not sure how the Spikes upper finish will match my Spartan 9mm lower I got from JoeBob's. That and I am sort of wanting LRBHO if possible.

Forgive me but, if I order a shockwave with Kak tube and upgrade to 9mm buffer I will be good?
View Quote
Ah, got you......i'll look at the finish when I get home as my G/F has a Spartan side charger upper on her AR47 build, which should be the same color as the Spartan lower you have.

I have a LRBHO lower, so in my case it was not needed as part of the upper. With the Spartan upper some rails that have anti rotation tabs might not work unless you grind off the tabs, which isn't too big a deal IMO.

Forgot to mention, I also have a Spinta 9mm bolt, but yes, all I use is the 9mm extended buffer, that way you don't need spacers or quarters in the buffer tube, but the standard carbine buffer spring should be fine as well. Your results may vary if you are using a suppresor, I have no experience with them except for Call of Duty
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:49:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ah, got you......i'll look at the finish when I get home as my G/F has a Spartan side charger upper on her AR47 build, which should be the same color as the Spartan lower you have.

I have a LRBHO lower, so in my case it was not needed as part of the upper. With the Spartan upper some rails that have anti rotation tabs might not work unless you grind off the tabs, which isn't too big a deal IMO.

Forgot to mention, I also have a Spinta 9mm bolt, but yes, all I use is the 9mm extended buffer, that way you don't need spacers or quarters in the buffer tube, but the standard carbine buffer spring should be fine as well. Your results may vary if you are using a suppresor, I have no experience with them except for Call of Duty
View Quote
Glad you had a comment about the hand guard/rail fitment. I have read online that side charger uppers interfere with the tabs. I am thinking since I am lucky enough to live about 5 minutes from Midwest Industries maybe I can talk Pete into doing some machining on a SP series for me in order to make it work with a side charger upper. I used a SP rail on my 300blk SBR and it works well with a can.

Sprinta seems to have the best price on BCG's for this build as well.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:55:14 AM EDT
[#10]
What is the consensus on the LRBHO? I mean you guys seem to be happy with just a slick side upper and no LRBHO.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What is the consensus on the LRBHO? I mean you guys seem to be happy with just a slick side upper and no LRBHO.
View Quote
It is very important to me....it's the AR platform and it should act like a normal 556 AR in the way it functions IMO. Really the only difference with my 9mm AR and 556 AR is the caliber(duh) and the fact that the 9mm is blowback. Other than that they feel and function the same in my hands.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top