Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2017 11:17:08 AM EDT
Is it still around, I found a webpage for it, but it doesnt seem to have the PDW length upper available anymore, I also heard that the company might be going under, is this true? Anyway, I'd like to hear some peoples experiences with this upper, I wanted to order one of the SBR length PDW uppers, but now cannot find one.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:36:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Lack of interest.

Like this thread.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:00:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had it in mind for a while, and i think it would be cool for my SBR.  Thanks a lot, OP.  Now I have to go spend more money.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:57:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Defeats the purpose

The ps90 is a short, handy design

The ar57 is a long, top-heavy, slow handling design with much less f/lb than 223

The 5.7 is a great round for the ps90

No real point in an AR15 other then less noise
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to work with a guy who had one for a while.  In his opinion, it was too expensive for what it provided so he sold it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I liked my AR15 carbine upper but I sold it after the last ammo crunch since I had to many calibers to feed. The upper worked great but loading was awkward and it was pretty heavy considering the round it used. Fun toy, nothing more.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#7]
If it was feasible to load 5.7 in bulk on a progressive press (without tons of fumbling), then I'd have an AR57 upper.  Sadly, it ain't.

The 5.7 has a case head similar to the .25 Auto case.  That means it takes a small primer, BUT the overall head isn't that much larger than a large primer.  I've done some manual testing on my Hornady LnL AP, and 5.7 cases seemed to "wander" all over the place over the spent primer hole.

Also, to get a compatible shell plate, you have to order it as a custom piece from Hornady (something like $120 +$30 shipping), which cooled my enthusiasm pretty quickly.

And of course the brass has a particular coating that helps it feed in P90 magazines.  Normal brass prep, like tumbling cases, can remove the coating.  No telling what would happen after that.

It's sad, because the 5.7 has potential to be a fun round.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:51:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I always wanted one just because it would be fun on an sbr lower with 22 sparrow suppressor. It's cool you can make a brass catcher out of an old mag, and it's just a cool round.

But it never has made it very far up my list of stuff to buy just for fun for some reason. I guess ammo cost is a factor and the fact that you can't hardly find one.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 6:44:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Bought it when it first came out, still plenty of grins at the range  Haven't figured out how to adapt a folding Law Tac folding mechanism in it yet.

Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:22:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't own a PS90 or anything in 5.7 but I always liked the concept of the AR57, 50 rounds in a compact package, brass dumps out the bottom and you can hollow out a mag and use it as a brass catcher.

I can't remember reading any negative reports on the AR57 uppers, and when I started building pistol ARs I had thought about an AR57 pistol.

I think SGAmmo has Federal 5.7 for 38 cents a pop, considering .22wmr is around 30 cents that's not unreasonable. Not as cheap as Wolf Gold, but what is?

But not many other options for 5.7 in other firearms, and they're all expensive. An FN 5.7 pistol MSRP is $1300. Excel Arms are cheap, but reviews are terrible.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:22:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I had the carbine length AR57 upper for a while. It was very accurate and very reliable with either AR57 or FN brand magazines. It had the same recoil as my 22 rimfire upper. While it was a fun upper to have, I had no need for it since I have a 22lr upper along with standard 5.56 uppers and a 6.8 upper.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 1:11:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it was feasible to load 5.7 in bulk on a progressive press (without tons of fumbling), then I'd have an AR57 upper.  Sadly, it ain't.
View Quote
Yeah it is.  I load 5.7 on my Dillon 550... saves a metric shit-ton of money.  Once you get your press set up, it's not noticeably different than any other caliber (Not entirely true... I wash the brass, I don't polish it).  I've loaded some cases 3-4 times...as long as they keep working (I shoot it in a Ps90), I'll keep reloading it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yeah it is.  I load 5.7 on my Dillon 550... saves a metric shit-ton of money.  Once you get your press set up, it's not noticeably different than any other caliber (Not entirely true... I wash the brass, I don't polish it).  I've loaded some cases 3-4 times...as long as they keep working (I shoot it in a Ps90), I'll keep reloading it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As do I.

I run through with a universal decapping die and the Swage-it on once fired brass on the first pass.

With primer removed I wash in hot water and hand agitation to get the big chunks of carbon and junk off, then on to a towel to dry overnight.

Next pass is with lanolin spray lube for cheap bastards and into the Lee full length resizing die before a 20min ride in the dry crushed corn cob tumbler.

I trim on a powered RCBS Trim-Pro 2

Next I prime, charge with a manually operated RCBS powder thrower and seat with a Lee seating die.

I do handle the brass one more time than I do with .223, and don't have a case activated powder dispenser, but it's definitely faster than single stage, Dillon 600 swaging tool, and a Lee Zip Trim like I did for my first few hundred rounds.

Might not do all of this but 1. I'm a reloader, 2. My handloads get 200fps more than the factory FNH rounds with 40gr VMAX, and 3. I'm a reloader.

ETA: I looked into an AR57 upper, but they never offered a full auto bolt and I refused to not run this on my M16 so I just have my chopped PS90
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 8:12:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Lack of interest.

Like this thread.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
How do you keep the cases from snagging on the spent primer drain hole in the press?  I had investigated hand depriming (I do that with all my brass anyway), but I still saw the cases catch on the drain hole as the press tried to advance them.  Of course I was not using a 5.7 shell plate, which may provide enough support to stabilize the cases, but those tiny rims always seemed to catch on the larger than 0.210" primer drain hole.  I can't see how the press base plate would support the cases during sizing...
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 6:06:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

How do you keep the cases from snagging on the spent primer drain hole in the press?  I had investigated hand depriming (I do that with all my brass anyway), but I still saw the cases catch on the drain hole as the press tried to advance them.  Of course I was not using a 5.7 shell plate, which may provide enough support to stabilize the cases, but those tiny rims always seemed to catch on the larger than 0.210" primer drain hole.  I can't see how the press base plate would support the cases during sizing...
View Quote
http://www.eliteammunition.com/5-7x28-dillion-550-shell-plate.html

ETA: can't make the link hot on my iPad for some reason, sorry.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 8:15:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:  http://www.eliteammunition.com/5-7x28-dillion-550-shell-plate.html

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 4:01:56 PM EDT
[#19]
For what it is, I always thought that upper cost way too much.

As for that round, I'd love to see it in a bolt action. It'd be a great reloadable 22wmr replacement if rimfire ammo became hard to find again.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#20]
.22" TCM is available in a bolt action.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Too bad they don't do a shell plate for Hornday.  I might have had to buy a new set of dies...  
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 6:13:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
.22" TCM is available in a bolt action.
View Quote
Yeah, I'm very tempted by that round. Just wish it was a little more popular.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Too bad they don't do a shell plate for Hornday.  I might have had to buy a new set of dies...  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I honestly belive they do/did, but haven't paid much attention to EA since getting my 550 shellplate a few years ago.

Might be worth an email to verify.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I honestly belive they do/did, but haven't paid much attention to EA since getting my 550 shellplate a few years ago.

Might be worth an email to verify.
View Quote
I'll give it a shot.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Hornady HAS offered shell plates before. You might give them a call.
View Quote
I'll do that.  The above folks said they won't make Hornady shell plates; they're "different enough" from the Dillon 550's that it wouldn't be cost effective, I guess.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:10:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Even though I have a Dillon 1050 I wouldn't load 5.7X28 if I could get a shell plate.

The round is safe if properly loaded but at 50,000 c.u.p. in a TINY casing I don't want to be throwing powder charges with a measure. IMHO, every charge in a 5.7X28 load should be weighed unless you are shooting extremely light loads.
View Quote
Using ball powders and a consistent throw of the arm on my RCBS powder thrower I can hold +/- .1gr of powder. I also load .3gr below the highest I have ever loaded for the round, and those were still showing no pressure signs on the brass, likely indicating there is an even larger safety margin than my "current charge weight vs highest personally tested charge weight" methodology gives me.

Totally agree with your idea if I were loading on the ragged edge though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:02:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Way, way back, when we invented the Ar57 we meant for it to be a plinker and cost around $350 retail. Of course it had a different manufacturing method and looked much more like the below rifle.  I had a hard time with it priced at $750+

We currently have nothing to do with the company selling/sold them now. We have no plans to make more of them either. BTW the below design came in a lot lighter than the commercial unit.

Link Posted: 5/12/2017 3:16:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Way, way back, when we invented the Ar57 we meant for it to be a plinker and cost around $350 retail. Of course it had a different manufacturing method and looked much more like the below rifle.  I had a hard time with it priced at $750+

We currently have nothing to do with the company selling/sold them now. We have no plans to make more of them either. BTW the below design came in a lot lighter than the commercial unit.

http://www.troupsystems.com/ar57%20pics/57shorty.jpg
View Quote
That looks 100% better than the "RAILS EVERYWHERE" abomination it became.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 7:52:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That looks 100% better than the "RAILS EVERYWHERE" abomination it became.
View Quote
I agree 110%!
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 7:42:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

http://www.troupsystems.com/ar57%20pics/57shorty.jpg
View Quote
Wow. For $350 retail I think a lot more people would have one! Looks much better too. Any idea why they changed the design?
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top