Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2017 2:19:35 PM EDT
Have a 22 barrel, collar and bolt

Wanting to assemble with a stripped ranier arms upper i have.

What else do I need?  Looks like I still need a ar15 charging handle, barrel nut, free float hand guard and a muzzle break.  

For the muzzle break is any ar15 for a .223 usable?

Am I missing anything else?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:37:24 PM EDT
[#1]
That's it, you listed all the parts needed. Irons or a optic and your g2g.

While any charging handle would work, you might want to fill the channel by the front in a bit. The 22lr cases can get stuck there while ejecting (look at the cmmg 22lr handle for reference)

As far as I know any AR15 muzzle device will be fine, though there are some 22lr specific muzzle devices out there.

EDIT:
There are some parts, like the taccom insert plug that could help in reliability, but are not required.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#2]
could get a cmmg charging handle that is filled in because those 22 cases keep getting stuck in there
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:50:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help.

Appreciate the advise on charging handle.  Will get the cmng one mentioned.  Thanks again
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:58:05 PM EDT
[#4]
You really don't need a muzzle brake on a .22" LR.  Or a flash hider.  Flash can, Flaming Pig, or Krink knock-off.  Run subsonic .22" LR.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:02:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:42:51 AM EDT
[#6]
if you run into any feeding problems, a Boonie Packer Better Mag Adapter allows SW 15-22 magazines to be used ...you can use the 15-22 mags by themselves, but the adapter holds them better and allows the last round bolt hold open to work...if you use the SW mags, and insert the cartridges slowly, parallel to the top, and drop the follower only enough for each one, they stack the bullet noses alternatively, and greatly improves feeding... 15-22 mags are much easier to load...
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:55:51 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have casings getting stuck in the charging handle, you have other issues.
CMMG designed that charging handle basically to help with the Spikes issues of constant empties flying up into the BCG/CH and getting stuck.
It's also plastic and I've broken 2 of them.

Stick with a regular charging handle.

If you can, find an older CMMG stainless .22 BCG. They ran great and the specs were still good.

I agree with the Boonie Packer and S & W mags.
Great set up.

Dave N
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:54:22 AM EDT
[#8]
All the info you've gotten is correct, only thing I MIGHT add is the CMMG short ejection door and small plastic brass deflector they have also. Other than that it's a blast to shoot!
https://www.cmmginc.com/shop/ejection-port-cover-kit-with-gas-deflector/
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 11:50:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  All the info you've gotten is correct, only thing I MIGHT add is the CMMG short ejection door and small plastic brass deflector they have also. Other than that it's a blast to shoot!
https://www.cmmginc.com/shop/ejection-port-cover-kit-with-gas-deflector/
View Quote
www.cmmginc.com/shop/ejection-port-cover-kit-with-gas-deflector
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:19:14 PM EDT
[#10]
got my flash hider, crush washer and barrel nut in yesterday .  

Can this be assembled without the assembly block or does it follow the same torque procedures as a normal AR15 upper?
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
got my flash hider, crush washer and barrel nut in yesterday .  

Can this be assembled without the assembly block or does it follow the same torque procedures as a normal AR15 upper?
View Quote
I did mine not quite as tight as with a standard AR. I do use anti rotation hand guards and not anything that could twist the barrel nut off. Three 22 uppers assembled and zero issues there. If your going to use the plastic hand guards or a free float that has nothing to prevent rotation I'd torque is the same as any other AR upper.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you have casings getting stuck in the charging handle, you have other issues.
CMMG designed that charging handle basically to help with the Spikes issues of constant empties flying up into the BCG/CH and getting stuck.
It's also plastic and I've broken 2 of them.

Stick with a regular charging handle.

If you can, find an older CMMG stainless .22 BCG. They ran great and the specs were still good.

I agree with the Boonie Packer and S & W mags.
Great set up.

Dave N
View Quote
Haven't broken the charging handle, yet.
Did break an older SS BCG.  Receiver frame broke the single weld in the rear plate.  The newer ones are welded on both sides of the rear plate.
The website picture is the older version.

It seems that they have given up on the next version of the BHOA & the Evolution mag.
They work well for me after I modified the Gen1 BHOA.
I'm going with the Boonie Packer and S & W mags.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_145/280708_CMMG-BHOA---How-to-make-it-work.html
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top