Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2017 6:07:49 PM EDT
Greetings All,
I've been looking for a 9mm carbine and originally was gonna pick up a Hi-Point, but have been led the AR route. Kinda torn bewtween buying a Palmetto Upper and Lower or trying out the FX-9 from Classic. I don't currently own a Glock in 9mm, but I am thinking a Glock Mag fed 9mm AR would be nice. Need your thoughts and opinions of 9mm carbines?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I like my Palmetto lower.  Not sure on the Classic, but bump for inputs.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:56:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Hi OP- I just got in a PSA complete rifle last week and had a chance to put a few hundred rounds through it. Glock lower and 16" bbl just to get me in the 9mm AR game. Put a spare Aimpoint PRO on it. My impressions are favorable, ran good with every magazine I tried (Glock factories, Magpuls, something else that came with it). Actually it's a better looking gun than I expected too.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:36:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Greetings All,
I've been looking for a 9mm carbine and originally was gonna pick up a Hi-Point, but have been led the AR route. Kinda torn bewtween buying a Palmetto Upper and Lower or trying out the FX-9 from Classic. I don't currently own a Glock in 9mm, but I am thinking a Glock Mag fed 9mm AR would be nice. Need your thoughts and opinions of 9mm carbines?
View Quote

My opinion....

There are at least 40 or 50 AR 9mm threads that you can read all about the PSA 9mm, and other Glock builds.
There is also another PCC section of the forum you can research.

Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:07:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I might be way behind the curve here, but isn't the Classic Arms FX a new development?

The email adds they send out gave me the impression that the FX project was only just completed. It looks very attractive based on the descriptions and videos.

Their web site still shows it as an introductory price, which gives me the impression it just came out. The mail I got says they only came out with it March 24th.

Has this Classic Arms 9mm FX been out for very long? Does anyone even have one yet?

Classic Firearms FX 9

FX 9 video
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:23:43 AM EDT
[#5]
The FX-9 is new.  I got mine a week ago, but I have been on the road for work since and have not been able to put it through its paces yet.  The build quality is very good, especially for the price point
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 12:38:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Congrats!

I am no expert on pistol caliber ARs, but this one seems to fit the bill for what I would want for a fun inexpensive blaster!

I would really be interested in hearing your range report.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Greetings All,
View Quote

Maybe start READING all the threads that have discussed 9mm AR carbines.

That is the best, the fastest, and most thorough way to learn what you want to learn.

Link Posted: 4/8/2017 7:20:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That is the best, the fastest, and most thorough way to learn what you want to learn.

View Quote
Maybe you could just NOT post if you don't want to help. If you don't like it, scroll on. Way to start a newbie's post too.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 9:19:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Range report - well, I wish i had better news.

First, the overall fit and finish is fantastic, especually given the price.  The size and weight are also quite good, IMO.

Just one problem - when I pull the trigger I never know if it will go bang one, two or three times.

First thought was that it was a trigger/sera issue.  Replaced mil-spec fire control system with CMC.  Did not solve the problem.

Talked with manufacturer, and the sent me a new bolt group.   Did not solve the problem,

It is VERY frustrating, because when it works it is a dream to shoot.

The only other thing I know to try is the buffer and spring.  If that doe snot work I am just going to send it back to the manufacturer so they can look at it first hand.   They seem to think that i am just bump firing it.  If so, everyone who has shot it has bump fired it, including a couple of seasoned instructors.  

It's new, and some bugs can be expected.  But I am more than a littel frustrated about this.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 2:56:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Hang in there!

Sounds like they have to work out some bolt dynamics. One of their experts is probably going to dial it in with more margin.

The shape of the bottom of their bolt and the hammer play a role too. There are several knobs they can turn to tune it up. Lets hope they get you fixed up soon.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 8:45:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I am really enjoying the forum, thanks for the replies I enjoy reading them
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 9:19:56 AM EDT
[#12]
So, I replaced the mil spec trigger with a CMC.  That did not help.
Then Freedom sent me a new bolt group.  That did not help.
Then I changed the buffer and spring out for one designed for 9mm.  That did not help.
No matter what I do I am getting "doubles."

So, I am shipping it back to the manufacturer so they can examine it first hand.  So far, they have been very responsive to my issue.  It is a brand new platform, so I know some bugs woudl not be abnormal.  I will keep you posted
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 9:29:07 AM EDT
[#13]
The FX9 looks to be the LDR9 rebranded and more refined/evolved:
https://www.classicfirearms.com/lng-ldr9-magtac-carbine-ldr-ar15-9

Mag Tactical went out of business last year and classic was the last vendor to sell of their remaining LDR9 carbines.  There were a couple of threads here at AR15 on them but they've all archived.  Some interesting information on the mag catch, rails and barrel can be found on them.in those threads.  I'd be curious to know if classic fixed the mag catch and if they added an index pin to the barrel.

If anyone takes one apart, please post pics.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 11:06:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Mine is already boxed up for shipment back to FO, or I woudl post pictures.  The mag release is not the same as on the LDR.  It is a new design that is quite good.  I think you can see it simply by expanding the photos on the Classic web site.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 12:03:00 PM EDT
[#15]
My adventures with the FX 9 came to an end.  After trying all sorts of things I finally sent it back to the manufacturer.  They told me that they had decided that they needed a slightly different fire control system.  They also said that they would be noting on their web site that the gun shoudl be fired with the factory FCS.  The original ads said it was compatible with drop-ins, and specifcally mentioned CMC.

When I received the gun back from Freedom Ordnance I went to the local indoor rifle range to test.  Given my past experience with doubles and triples, I loaded three magazines with one round each, just to start testing basic function.  I placed the first mag in the gun and fired a test shot at a 25 yd target.  Everything was fine, bolt locked back, no issues.   I dumped the mag and reinserted a new mag - again with one round.  When hit the bolt release, the bolt went forward and and the weapon fired - with my finger planted squarely on the side of the lower receiver.  Fortunately my father taught me well 40 years ago, and the weapon was pointed in a safe direction.  Also fortunately, the range officers were aware of my history of problems with the gun, so they were standing right behind me, and they offered to confirm that the weapon did indeed slam fire and that my finger was not on the trigger.

At that point I was done.  There just wasn't anything they could have ever done to restore my faith in the weapon system.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 3:00:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Maybe you could just NOT post if you don't want to help. If you don't like it, scroll on. Way to start a newbie's post too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I gave him the best advice out of everyone.

I asked that he actually go invest some time to LEARN about the thing he wants to LEARN about.

He has a computer, the greatest search tool ever.
He has available all sorts of threads to read in this forum that will educate anyone that bothers to read them.

Not you though...you're treating him like a special snowflake to be catered to, and spoon-fed. That's nice dear. You gonna bring him cookies and milk too ?

I believe that people should look and search 1st, THEN post if they have more questions.

I mean WHAT is the point of discussing something once, when people won't bother to read that discussion, or bothering to educate themselves to a previous discussion on the exact  subject they are interested in.

AFWIW....what was the pearl of wisdom YOU left for the OP ?? You posted just to start some dumb crap with me. Brilliant.

Link Posted: 5/1/2017 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My adventures with the FX 9 came to an end.  After trying all sorts of things I finally sent it back to the manufacturer.  They told me that they had decided that they needed a slightly different fire control system.  They also said that they would be noting on their web site that the gun shoudl be fired with the factory FCS.  The original ads said it was compatible with drop-ins, and specifcally mentioned CMC.

When I received the gun back from Freedom Ordnance I went to the local indoor rifle range to test.  Given my past experience with doubles and triples, I loaded three magazines with one round each, just to start testing basic function.  I placed the first mag in the gun and fired a test shot at a 25 yd target.  Everything was fine, bolt locked back, no issues.   I dumped the mag and reinserted a new mag - again with one round.  When hit the bolt release, the bolt went forward and and the weapon fired - with my finger planted squarely on the side of the lower receiver.  Fortunately my father taught me well 40 years ago, and the weapon was pointed in a safe direction.  Also fortunately, the range officers were aware of my history of problems with the gun, so they were standing right behind me, and they offered to confirm that the weapon did indeed slam fire and that my finger was not on the trigger.

At that point I was done.  There just wasn't anything they could have ever done to restore my faith in the weapon system.  
View Quote
Wow! Really sorry to hear about your bad experience with the FX 9, however, I am grateful you took the time to share it and saved me from the trouble.

I was hoping this would be a good design and work out. I hope they iron it out or make it up to you. It sounds really risky and it is lucky it happened to someone like you and not some novice who didn't have your habits.

It is never comforting to go to the local ranges any more. There has always been some evidence of accidental discharges, but how much more and the extent has become frightening. I believe it is disproportional to the ratio of semi auto to revolver.

I was hoping your experience was going to improve because I really think a 9mm in this platform is ideal for indoor range work and home/self defense and is affordable to practice in volume.

What if any 9mm AR will you try next?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 6:07:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I learned a lot from my experience.  Mainly i learned that a lot of people have issues with 9mm in the AR platform.   :)

I ended up with two new weapons.  I got a Keltec sub 2000 in 9mm Glock.  Not an AR, but a fun gun to shoot.  It has been great!!  Feeds everything well and cheap to shoot.  Plus, the folding feature is very handy. It is a tack driver.

All my research trying to fix my FX 9 was not wasted.  It let me decide that I did want an AR as well.  I got a factory blem Adams Arms in 5.56/.223 as well.  I actually bought it with money that a major airline gave me to get off a flight that they had overbooked.  So, when i refer to that gun as my Delta. AR, it has nothing to do with the Army unit. :)

Overall, Freedom treated me well - no complaints with them.  I think Classic firearms worked to hide the issue, and likely will never buy anything from them again.  Not a fan of comapanies that throw around Bible verses and then are not forthcoming when there are legitimate issues.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#19]
One last note - in the end a big factor in my decision to give up on the FX 9 was the change they made to their advertising after my experience.  The original ads touted the fact that the gun was compatible with drop in triggers.  It even mentions the CMC by name.  Now the Freedom Ordnance web site discourages the use of non-factory triggers.  When I talked with CMC directly and explained the issues I had, they told me that they do not recommend the use of their triggers in 9mm AR builds due the very issue I was having.  

The builder told me that very few of the first run FX 9s had the same issues that i did.  They did a re-design of the sear-trigger engagement area for subsequent guns.  I have no way to verify any of that, but I can say that they treated me fairly and quickly refunded my money after the last incident.  So, I have no reason to doubt them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:31:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I have wanted a 9mm ar for a long time. I was looking at the classic fx. After this I went with cmmg. Got it on sale at brownells then the code took another $70+ off. Final cost $669 shipped. That's not much more than the fx9. CMMG has a great reputation. The only downside I see is it runs colt mags. I wanted Glock mags but other than that is a great deal.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 4:21:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:20:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
One last note - in the end a big factor in my decision to give up on the FX 9 was the change they made to their advertising after my experience.  The original ads touted the fact that the gun was compatible with drop in triggers.  It even mentions the CMC by name.  Now the Freedom Ordnance web site discourages the use of non-factory triggers.  When I talked with CMC directly and explained the issues I had, they told me that they do not recommend the use of their triggers in 9mm AR builds due the very issue I was having.  

The builder told me that very few of the first run FX 9s had the same issues that i did.  They did a re-design of the sear-trigger engagement area for subsequent guns.  I have no way to verify any of that, but I can say that they treated me fairly and quickly refunded my money after the last incident.  So, I have no reason to doubt them.
View Quote
I wonder why they didn't send you the fixed version? I can see having a fire control issue in a 9mm, but you would assume they knew that risk at the start.

I'll sit on the fence with this, but thanks for your opinion on the KelTech. A 9mm in a package that lines up naturally will do fine for SD work, especially one from the shoulder. With a little practice, you should be able to mow the falling plates down.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#23]
They did offer to send me a "fixed" version, but at that point I had just lost faith in the gun. Between the doubling and the slam fire I knew that I just wasn't ever going to be 100% comfortable
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 2:05:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll just chime in here to say that my PSA 9mm Glock mag pistol replaced my Sub2000 for several reasons, but the largest was that the Sub2000 never fed a single hollowpoint.

Every time I'd try I'd get a round with the bullet shoved as deep into the case as possible.

I've only put 400 rds of FMJ and 150rds of 147gr JUST through the pistol so far, but it hasn't malfunctioned yet . . .
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the report and update.  I have a 9mm AR, and it's been a great rifle, one of my favorites to shoot, but it was a little picky and needed some magazine work. My brother's near identical gun works great with my CMMG bolt, but will just not work with his Palmetto bolt. So I gave him my bolt and got another CMMG for myself. The bolts, to all appearances, are identical, but somehow, a few thousands of an inch here or there, cause it to jam most times.

The moral of the story is that the 9mm carbines are pretty neat, but some of them need some work. Why?.. I have no idea, but some just do. Tolerance stacking? I would think that a fairly simple blowback type gun would not be that tough to get to run right, but the results say otherwise.

At least you tried out what looked like a decent model and posted your results. I still think the 9mm ARs are a great thing. Get one of the dedicated colt or glock lowers, a nice, light Faxon 9mm barrel, and one of their bolts, or CMMG, and you will have a rifle you'll enjoy.

I'm a toss-up between glock and colt lowers. I like the last round hold open of the colts. I have had some issues with my ASC mags, but most glock mag guys seem to get better reliability. Two weeks ago I would have said my ASC colt mags were 100%, but in my lastest range visit with Tula steel case, the cartridges all jammed up within the magazine itself. I can fix that issue, but I also got some of the Palmetto metal form mags to try, they should be fine.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 11:36:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I,ve seen several recent posts from you behaving this way. If you are getting bored with the content here, you should take a break. If you choose to stay, you will end the BS responses. You're not required to reply to people's posts, so ignore the threads that have become repetitive. If you continue to behave the way you have, I'm just going to remove your ability to post.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snip
I,ve seen several recent posts from you behaving this way. If you are getting bored with the content here, you should take a break. If you choose to stay, you will end the BS responses. You're not required to reply to people's posts, so ignore the threads that have become repetitive. If you continue to behave the way you have, I'm just going to remove your ability to post.
Then you have also seen dozens and dozens of threads where I help those that truly need help to solve problems.

Link Posted: 5/3/2017 11:57:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:Get one of the dedicated colt or glock lowers, a nice, light Faxon 9mm barrel, and one of their bolts, or CMMG, and you will have a rifle you'll enjoy.
View Quote
I may one day venture back into the 9mm/AR form, but I kinda doubt it.  i did hours and hours of reading up on the matter while I wa straying to get that FX 9 to function correctly, and I became convinced that the better course of action (for me) was to buy something specifically designed for the cartridge.  I know many don't like Keltec, but the Sub 2000 I got is really sweet.

And, I love the Adams Arms 556/223 AR that I got as well.  So, my immediate rifle wants/needs have been filled for now.

If I try any other 9mm rifles it would likely be either the Baretta or the SIG rather than another AR platform.  

I appreciate those in this thread who offered advice/feedback.  Thank you!
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top