BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2017 9:48:45 PM EDT
KVP recommends "Extra" power buffer springs for 9mm Carbines:

KVP

My understanding is that 308 springs are the same whether they be in a Carbine buffer tube or a Rifle buffer tube. That lead me to believe that AR15 RIFLE length springs would do the job of a Carbine length 308/9mm spring.

Now in assembly, I have found that while using a rifle length spring, the BCG just BARELY comes past the Bolt Catch.

SO... Can I assume it's safe to forego the extra power spring, and just add more weight to my buffer?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:21:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

KVP

My understanding is that 308 springs are the same whether they be in a Carbine buffer tube or a Rifle buffer tube. That lead me to believe that AR15 RIFLE length springs would do the job of a Carbine length 308/9mm spring.

Now in assembly, I have found that while using a rifle length spring, the BCG just BARELY comes past the Bolt Catch.

SO... Can I assume it's safe to forego the extra power spring, and just add more weight to my buffer?
View Quote

And remember this simple tid bit of info.... When COLT built the 635... all they did was set a 9mm upper on a M16 lower with CAR stock, and made a 5.5oz CAR buffer to run in the CAR tube with CAR spring..

What about all the gizmos we supposedly need to run 9mm ???
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:21:43 AM EDT
[#2]
The rifle length recoil spring has too many coils for the space available in the carbine buffer tube.  The rearward travel should stop when the buffer contacts the end of the buffer tube.  Not when the recoil spring reaches its solid height.  Measure the length of your buffer under the head.  Count the coils in the recoil spring and multiply the number of coils by the wire diameter.  This is the solid height of the spring.  The solid height of the spring must be less than the length of the buffer not counting the head.

Go with the heaviest carbine recoil spring and a pistol caliber buffer.  Pistol caliber buffers are heavier than an H3 carbine buffer.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:19:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I have two 9mm ARs
I'm using spikes 9mm buffers in both, I have used  standard carbine buffer spring's in both without issue.
One of them I have switched to a Tubbs flat wire spring.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:31:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

KVP

View Quote

Get a carbine spring.
Get a 5oz or 5.5oz  buffer. I also recommend a buffer bumper like NFA or Spikes to help control stroke length
Shoot gun.

THEN when it's operating 100% on the basic stuff, you make subtle changes to improve it however you want to.

Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:44:11 AM EDT
[#5]
to add to what Mr Jeep commented about the weight... if you plan on shooting USPSA PCC and you reload....be sure to develop the load first... a 3.6 charge of WSF and 135 coated Bayous give me a 148 power factor out of my 16" barrel... runs with a 5.2 oz rifle buffer and rifle spring... 21.5 oz total for buffer and bolt
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:31:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
t runs with a 5.2 oz rifle buffer and rifle spring... 21.5 oz total for buffer and bolt
View Quote

Since 2003 w/ 7oz A2 rifle buffer & A2 rifle spring

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:07:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:20:27 PM EDT
[#8]
The distance that the buffer and bolt assembly travels on a 9mm is critical to preventing premature failure of the bolt wcatch. Since it's a blow back design, adding weight to the buffer and spring pressure can help accomplish those things.  There are also several options to make a spacer to prevent over travel.

The Vltor A5 buffer happens to be available in heavier weights and happens to be longer than a carbine buffer by the exact same amount that is recommended to prevent over travel if you are going to use a spacer.  Dropped into a carbine buffer tube with a carbine spring and 9mm upper, it works quite well.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The distance that the buffer and bolt assembly travels on a 9mm is critical to preventing premature failure of the bolt wcatch. Since it's a blow back design, adding weight to the buffer and spring pressure can help accomplish those things.  There are also several options to make a spacer to prevent over travel.

The Vltor A5 buffer happens to be available in heavier weights and happens to be longer than a carbine buffer by the exact same amount that is recommended to prevent over travel if you are going to use a spacer.  Dropped into a carbine buffer tube with a carbine spring and 9mm upper, it works quite well.
View Quote
I was wondering how the A5 worked with a 9mm. I recently picked one up for my AR57 upper to solve bolt bounce problems but I haven't gotten out to shoot with it yet.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:12:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was wondering how the A5 worked with a 9mm. I recently picked one up for my AR57 upper to solve bolt bounce problems but I haven't gotten out to shoot with it yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A bit more info can be found here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_122/654146_NOW_WITH_PICS_9mm_bolt___VLTOR_A5_buffer___Standard_Milspec_Carbine_Buffer_Tube___The_perfect_combo_.html
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:12:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:21:14 AM EDT
[#13]
https://www.blitzkriegcomponents.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AR15%2DKYNJP%2D9C

this is the route i took expensive , yes but its soooo nice
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm using the YHM 9mm buffer.  It's extra long to control the stroke length so you don't have to pad the bottom end of the carbine tube with quarters, though that solution IS cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:44:52 PM EDT
[#15]
The YHM 9mm buffer is 5.9 ounces.

What is the optimum weight for a 9mm buffer and bolt?

Do loose weights within the buffer do anything?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:12:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I actually bought the components for my AR9 build today. KAK 9mm buffer (5.5oz), standard carbine spring, and spacer. That will be put into my Shockwave dimpled extension and blade.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:36:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I actually bought the components for my AR9 build today. KAK 9mm buffer (5.5oz), standard carbine spring, and spacer. That will be put into my Shockwave dimpled extension and blade.
View Quote

This is my setup along with a kaw valley bolt. Over 1.5 lbs of mass does a nice job delaying the bolt. I went back and forth between wolff xtra power spring and regular and decided to stick with the regular. The Xtra power spring was slamming the bolt forward too violently.

I run a 5.5" BA barrel, no suppressor.

Edit: I actually have the KAK heavy 9mm buffer.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:08:56 PM EDT
[#18]
You neither need nor want a high power spring in a 9mm. It takes very little force to strip a 9mm from the magazine and chamber it, and there is no bolt locking to accomplish. All a high power spring will do is batter your parts around severely as noted by previous posters.

No, high power springs are not a substitute for mass (weight) in the reciprocating parts in a blowback system. Just no.

Nor should a spring be what stops the Bolt/Buffer travel.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:20:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You neither need nor want a high power spring in a 9mm. It takes very little force to strip a 9mm from the magazine and chamber it, and there is no bolt locking to accomplish. All a high power spring will do is batter your parts around severely as noted by previous posters.

No, high power springs are not a substitute for mass (weight) in the reciprocating parts in a blowback system. Just no.

View Quote
FWIWW - high power spring should make it easier to shoulder bump, but otherwise I agree that it's a poor choice.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:44:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, not sure why people think it helps with delaying the opening. You're talking about a few extra pounds of preload trying to counteract thousands of pounds of force. Mass, as you say, is the only answer in blowback.

Only thing it does is keep the buffer from slamming into the back of the receiver extension as hard which can change felt recoil to something a little less sharp. But yeah, if it's going to either slam goimg forward or backwards, I'd rather it be backwards into the delrin tailpiece designed to take the beating.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:26:33 PM EDT
[#21]
What are your guys' thoughts on using a NFA modular BCG (16.7oz) along with a KVP pistol buffer kit (KVP 7.5 oz SS Blowback Buffer and KVP XP SS Spring)?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:54:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I like the look of the full stock. Do you use any kind of spacer in the tube to prevent the bolt from going back too far?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm not SBR 7_11 that posted the pic, but I use the NFA bumper that came with their lower for my rifle stock/tube... I tried a couple of quarters to fine tune, but later removed them... stock rifle buffer and rifle spring

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:54:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks. That's exactly what I needed to see.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:55:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I like the look of the full stock. Do you use any kind of spacer in the tube to prevent the bolt from going back too far?
View Quote

I run A2 stock with rifle spring and rifle buffer as designed.. I do not use any spacers, Eugene and COLT not do it..

As to spacer thing, I dont use bolt hold open ast shot, as I run mine on Uzi mags since I got block back in 2003 to use plain old Uzi mags (I am Uzi owner since March 1986) to which Uzi dont have bolt hold either

Only thing I have done is dump the guts from A2 buffer and machined a brass dowel to slip fit inside buffer body, bringing weight to 7oz... this buffer runs my short 9mm and (2) shorty 556 barrels fine and dandy
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:27:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I run A2 stock with rifle spring and rifle buffer as designed.. I do not use any spacers, Eugene and COLT not do it..

As to spacer thing, I dont use bolt hold open ast shot, as I run mine on Uzi mags since I got block back in 2003 to use plain old Uzi mags (I am Uzi owner since March 1986) to which Uzi dont have bolt hold either

Only thing I have done is dump the guts from A2 buffer and machined a brass dowel to slip fit inside buffer body, bringing weight to 7oz... this buffer runs my short 9mm and (2) shorty 556 barrels fine and dandy
View Quote
You should add a spacer. It prevents a fired case from dropping into your fcg pocket causing a very annoying jam.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:30:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Chris Bartocci discusses 9mm buffers in this video.
https://youtu.be/8boc8aFgfT8
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:01:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You should add a spacer. It prevents a fired case from dropping into your fcg pocket causing a very annoying jam.
View Quote

14yr now, not had any issue with dropped cases
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top