Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2017 1:09:11 AM EDT
Just doing a bit of research.  Have a 16" 9mm carbine which I like very much.  It's using a full length rifle extension, rifle spring and a rifle buffer with the guts replaced with solid brass for ~7.5oz.  Unsupressed it's already quiet as far as rifles go.

I'm sorta kinda debating maybe getting a suppressor for it, but I've read 16" is not the ideal length for this and guys can't get them to run right.  With a smaller suppressor like the SCo Omega 9k could the 16" be made to run right with minimal heaches?

I know i know, just cut the barrel and SBR it I get it....but for the sake of argument has anyone got a 16" to run reliably and without significant port noise?
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 1:51:17 AM EDT
[#1]
It should suppress just fine.
A 9mm AR will have some port noise no matter what, though.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 2:55:12 AM EDT
[#2]
My 16 9mm suppressed fine.  port noise?  The sound of the bolt coming back and the bullet hitting the target are louder.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 3:46:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 12:42:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It should suppress just fine.
A 9mm AR will have some port noise no matter what, though.
View Quote

Good to hear.  There're a lot of people online harping about the port noise "especially in a 16 inch" but I guess it's all relative.  Probably a lot of those folks are just repeating what they read and don't actually have one.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good to hear.  There're a lot of people online harping about the port noise "especially in a 16 inch" but I guess it's all relative.  Probably a lot of those folks are just repeating what they read and don't actually have one.
View Quote

I would think the biggest problem with a 16" barrel suppressed would be the possibility of some ammo going supersonic
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:07:49 AM EDT
[#6]
This is one of the times that I think the HK method of doing things is ideal if you must keep the length, at 16" then doing a heavily ported barrel and a slip over style suppressor that is dedicated to the barrel. or cut the barrel down and perm attach one.

Wait for the HPA to pass and make your own slip over suppressor and be g2g is my recommendation. (granted I have faith it will pass)
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a 16" 9mm AR, with an Omega 9K.
Flawless.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top