Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2017 2:08:01 PM EDT
I've got a 9mm AR built on a PSA Colt pattern lower. I've picked up plenty of the 32 round magazines from PSA but want something shorter for sighting in from the bench. I'm guessing something in the 10 round range but not sure. Priority is shorter length to enable use of rifle rest.

What options are there? Who has something reliable?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Metalform makes 10s and 20s.  Brownells sells them, but price is not as good as the 32s from psa.

If you got the psa Metalform 32s, you could also cut one down and make it shorter - just drill some holes in the sides near the bottom and make a delrin plug that can be screwed in.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Metalform makes 10s and 20s.  Brownells sells them, but price is not as good as the 32s from psa.

If you got the psa Metalform 32s, you could also cut one down and make it shorter - just drill some holes in the sides near the bottom and make a delrin plug that can be screwed in.
View Quote

Thought they might. Thanks for the connection.

Wonder if anyone else has some reliable, smaller magazines for 9mm ARs?
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#3]
ASC 20 round mags are a little shorter than Metalform and they're cheap. http://www.44mag.com/product/1216/asc_magazine
They're often on sale even cheaper from 44mag.com, if you're not in a rush.

This is the gun with the ASC magazine to give you scale:

I prefer the metalform 20 which is a little longer, but both work fine.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 7:35:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I purchased a 10 round and a 20 round from Brownells.  Good mags.  They look like Matalform.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 3:03:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I use the Metalform 20s as well.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 4:08:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a 10rnd Metalform on the way from CDNN. I have found my Metalform 20s fit too snug in my mag blocks. Must be a little larger than the 32s, as those all drop free. I would think the only difference would be length, but apparently not. Unless it is just a tolerance issue or an off batch. Hoping the 10 fits like my 32s.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here.
I like them so much more that I have not used my 32's in years.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 12:18:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
ASC 20 round mags are a little shorter than Metalform and they're cheap. http://www.44mag.com/product/1216/asc_magazine
They're often on sale even cheaper from 44mag.com, if you're not in a rush.

This is the gun with the ASC magazine to give you scale:
http://i.imgur.com/j6f1rbo.jpg

I prefer the metalform 20 which is a little longer, but both work fine.
View Quote

Thanks! This picture was exactly what I was after.

Not in a rush at all...still have to function test, check stabilization for the can, etc...but eventually will need it to sight in irons/red dot.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 1:53:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Or go one round at a time.  Load and drop the mag.  That's real cheap to do!
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 6:36:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Years ago, during the AWB, I bought a Colt 20 round (by Metalform) magazine for $60, was a pretty good deal. After I sold the rifle I kept the mag and once or twice I offered to sell it (after the AWB ended) for the $60, but no one wanted to pay extra so I just kept it (alongside all my g3, FAL, P7 and other assorted random magazines for guns I don't have).

So yeah, recently got back into ARs, built a 9mm, and that Colt 20 round mag is the slickest/ smoothest thing I have. Got a few 32's, have 4 ASC 20's, and recently got 2 metalform 20's. The metalforms are nearly identical, but blued. They're covered in sticky packing grease, once I clean them they should be fine.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 2:47:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I use 20rd Metalforms.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 10:35:41 AM EDT
[#13]
ASC and C Products are the same mag. I prefer the Metal Forms. They feed everything. I have problems with the ASC mags with shorter or SD type rounds.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top