Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2017 9:24:18 PM EDT
I'm going to be assembling a 9mm pistol and am curious as to the current opinion on colt style vs glock magazines.  Are there any reason to go one vs the other?
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm going to be assembling a 9mm pistol and am curious as to the current opinion on colt style vs glock magazines.  Are there any reason to go one vs the other?
View Quote
IMO the only reason to go with a glock lower is if you already have a supply of appropriately sized glock mags and interchangeability is important to you. Otherwise the colt mag system does everything it's supposed to (like LRBHO) without muss or fuss. Colt style mags are cheap from PSA.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 10:25:21 PM EDT
[#2]
That was kind of my thoughts.  Didn't know if maybe I had missed something or not.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 6:11:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I went with a Glock lower because I have a bunch of mags already.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I went with Glock style because I already had a bunch of glock magazines.........with said in True ARFCOM fashion, I'm getting ready for a Colt style build...
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 8:31:34 PM EDT
[#5]
i went with Colt-style.  in my state you can't get (nor use) high-cap Glock mags (10-rd limit), whether for pistol or rifle.  but the Colt-style 32-rd mags are GTG.

obviously not a problem in AZ.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:07:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I went with a Colt style lower.  I don't own a Glock and when I built my AR, Glock lowers were in their infancy and more expensive.  And being on a tight budget, Colt style mags are cheaper.

I wish Magpul would come out with a Colt style 9mm magazine......
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 2:28:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went with a Glock lower because I have a bunch of mags already.
View Quote

Me too. I wanted the colt lower because I think the magazine angle looks more appealing but I couldn't justify it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 4:20:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

No real reason other than personal preference or because you want to get the "flavor of the month", if you're into that sort of thing.

I don't let the mags I have (or don't have) in my possession at any time dictate what firearm I will (or won't) buy.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

In the 16 years you have been on this website, do you think this has ever been discussed ??

Link Posted: 1/5/2017 6:12:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#11]
if you plan on shooting USPSA PCC, and not worried about last round bolt hold open, it is easier to reload with a Glock 17 size magazine than a 33 rounder... someone may make a short Colt mag,  but I'm not aware of it... while the angled mag well may look funny when inserted, I find it easy to reload, as the angle cut on the front of the Glock receiver is the angle needed to reload to the mag well
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 7:10:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 10:20:05 AM EDT
[#13]
The bolt hold open is much simpler on the Colt version.  The latch on the Colt version works off of the back of the mag so it is shorter and simpler.  The latch on the Glock version works off of the front of the mag so the latch mechanism is more complex.  So the Colt version is more reliable.

This is only important if the LRBHO feature is of value to you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 3:59:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The bolt hold open is much simpler on the Colt version.  The latch on the Colt version works off of the back of the mag so it is shorter and simpler.  The latch on the Glock version works off of the front of the mag so the latch mechanism is more complex.  So the Colt version is more reliable.

This is only important if the LRBHO feature is of value to you.
View Quote

Good to know, I keep going back and forth on which way to go and how important LRBHO really is to me. Definitely a feature I want, but is it something I can live without. This will be predominately just a plinker for the range.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 9:06:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Colt SMG mags are steel which makes them very durable.  They are easy to take apart and clean.  They are low cost.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top