Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2016 12:13:35 PM EDT
Gun: Colt lower, Geissele trigger, Tactical Ambush bolt, Green Mt. 6 inch barrel, Kyntec 9mm hydraulic buffer, reduced power recoil spring (would short stroke with a standard power spring), suppressed, with 147gr subsonic ammo. Symptom: I am experiencing pierced primers. What could be a factor in this?
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Try using a standard 9mm buffer.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 4:30:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Tried the simplest thing of all, I used different ammo and no more pierced primers. I was getting the pierced primers with Remington 147 gr, I tried some Freedom Munitions 147 gr and not a single pierced primer. The crater in the Remington fired primer was larger diameter and deeper than the Freedom ammo, leading me to believe the Remington primers are maybe a softer steel? At any rate I have a whole case of this Remington, can I use it up or will it damage the firing pin. It didn't pierce every round, only about one out of three.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 8:54:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Primers are made of brass - the silver ones are nickel plated.  But it is quite possible that the primers are the problem.  I'd also take a very close, magnified look at the tip of your firing pin; it could be a bit "sharp," which would make it harder on thinner primer cups.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I looked at the tip of the firing pin and it has a tiny convex raised area on the very end, not sharp at all. I'm thinking it must be the primer hardness and/or thickness. Didn't know the primer's were brass, learn something new everyday :-) . The Remington must be nickel plated and the FM are plain brass.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top