Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2016 8:36:30 AM EDT
I posted this on the BIY forum too as a part of my milling thread, but as I plan a lot of changes to this build, I figured I'd start a separate build thread.

Got to spend a little time in the shop today.  Had these parts waiting around long enough I had to get to them.  As is she ran just fine.  All of the mags worked great. Glock factory G19, G17 & G18, KCI G19 & G18 and the Korean drums.  I have a 4.5" & a 8" barrel I will probably swap to later.  I think I need a 10" rail for the 8" barrel.  Not sure how I want to set up the 4.5" barrel yet.  I don't have a muzzle device for thst one yet.  Obviously I haven't picked an optic either.  I'll probably just go with a primary arms RDS.  

NFA Glock mag 80% billet lower

I had to trim the jig a bit in the magwell area, but heres she's ready to go, from here it's the same as any other 80%'er

Finish pass complete

Last hole

Stick mags.  That's a 11" BA barrel, 12" Chicom rail and a KAK flask can.  Package deal from Schuyler.  

I'm happy with the drums, but they are pretty heavy even when empty.  They are easy to load and so far have functioned flawlessly.  They don't drop free, but I'm not sure you'd want them to.  I imagine they wouldn't take a hit on concrete too well. Oh, and I wish they were 75 rounds.

After the first couple of mags, I pulled it apart to inspect.  Turns out I had some over travel.  Nothing a couple of quarters couldn't fix.  I will probably make a spacer or a new longer buffer, if it's still an issue with the shorter barrel.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 9:13:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice!
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:08:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice build.

And thanks for showing the example what over travel looks like.

This is why one of the 1st things I do before test firing is to verify the stroke length.

I recommend a buffer bumper over quarters (quarters are good for determining stroke, but are a bubba fix imho)

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 7:18:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice build.

*snip*

I recommend a buffer bumper over quarters (quarters are good for determining stroke, but are a bubba fix imho)

View Quote

Agreed.  I'm sure I will be swapping g the receiver extensign anyway, so for now, it's just a place to store $0.50 !
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 9:18:06 PM EDT
[#4]
This is great to see!  I have 2 that I'm going to finish but I am going to get some practice on a couple cheap 80's
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Is that the regular or slim flash can?

I have the same setup minus the flash can

I have the PSA NFA pistol lower as it came from them and don't have any overtake.

What's the inside depth of your pistol tube?  The PSA is 7"
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:37:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Those plates appear to be from TM. Is that correct? Can you speak to how the TM jig fits on that 80? I've been wanting to grab one of those 9mm 80's but have been hesitant due to not knowing if my TM setup will work...
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:44:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'll check, but I think it is the slim can

Quoted:
What's the inside depth of your pistol tube?  The PSA is 7"

Gonna have to check that one too.  It is not a Phase 5, but a knock off.  I don't even remember where I acquired it.  I have a phase 5, PSA and KAK tubes, I'll check them too for comparison.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:47:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Those plates appear to be from TM. Is that correct? Can you speak to how the TM jig fits on that 80? I've been wanting to grab one of those 9mm 80's but have been hesitant due to not knowing if my TM setup will work...
View Quote

Yes, thats a TM jig.  The plates had to be relieved a bit in the magwell area.  I only went about .125 deep, but it was most of the surface that would normally contact the magwell.   The channel in the back I relieved to gain space for using an edge finder to center the lowers, not specific to the 9mm lower.  

ETA:
I made sure not to take it all so it still works with the standard lowers.

The only pic I have of the modded plate
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:58:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes, thats a TM jig.  The plates had to be relieved a bit in the magwell area.  I only went about .125 deep, but it was most of the surface that would normally contact the magwell.  The channel in the back I relieved to gain space for using an edge finder to center the lowers, not specific to the 9mm lower.  

<a href="http://s1023.photobucket.com/user/ligaf2000/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160821_125524_zpspz3x2uel.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af357/ligaf2000/Mobile%20Uploads/20160821_125524_zpspz3x2uel.jpg</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, thats a TM jig.  The plates had to be relieved a bit in the magwell area.  I only went about .125 deep, but it was most of the surface that would normally contact the magwell.  The channel in the back I relieved to gain space for using an edge finder to center the lowers, not specific to the 9mm lower.  

<a href="http://s1023.photobucket.com/user/ligaf2000/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160821_125524_zpspz3x2uel.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af357/ligaf2000/Mobile%20Uploads/20160821_125524_zpspz3x2uel.jpg</a>

10-4, my first thought/concern is how those mods would affect the fitament of a standard lower. I use a drill press with the top plates & would be milling more standard 80's vs non-standard ones...
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:31:38 PM EDT
[#10]
And now it's 4.5".  I need to find a rail around 6".  The 4" is way too short for the flashcan and the 7" is just a little too long.

Link Posted: 10/7/2016 9:29:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I haven't been able to spend much time in the shop lately. Hopefully I'll be updating thsee build threads soon.

Link Posted: 10/29/2016 2:32:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Got to spend a little time in the shop.

Much better!

Link Posted: 10/29/2016 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#13]
What short rail is that? Chicom from eBay?
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 11:42:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What short rail is that? Chicom from eBay?
View Quote

Yup.  4".  I usually stay away from them but I planned to do some machining on this one.  The finish is already crap on these.  Besides that, I couldn't justify the expense for a YHM or the like on what amounts to nothing more than a range toy.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 11:46:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Great thanks. I am in the same boat and appreciate the help.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top