Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2016 1:34:24 PM EDT
I have two AR's and I have been considering the CMMG .22 conversion.... BUT ive found a dedicated .22AR made by mossberg for only 20 bucks more.

any one have any feedback on the subject?
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 4:03:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do not buy the Mossberg..

Get a S&W 15-22 or build a AR-22.
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have two AR's and I have been considering the CMMG .22 conversion.... BUT ive found a dedicated .22AR made by mossberg for only 20 bucks more.

View Quote

The Mossberg isn't a 22AR. It is a polymer shell and furniture to resemble an AR. It uses on of their existing semi auto actions, which all suck. Similar to the Ruger 10/22 AR thing, except the Ruger worked.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:49:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The Mossberg isn't a 22AR. It is a polymer shell and furniture to resemble an AR. It uses on of their existing semi auto actions, which all suck. Similar to the Ruger 10/22 AR thing, except the Ruger worked.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree with previous posters.  Most people who buy the Atchison style 22 conversion like the CMMG/TAACOM/Ciener/Target Master usually end up building a dedicated 22 upper and swapping out the conversion chamber adapter for a barrel collar to use for a dedicated 22 LR AR-15 barrel.  Rimfire ammo is filthy and I have built lowers which I use with my 22 rimfire AR-15 uppers.  The S&W 15-22 is a fine rifle but I just prefer the weight of my aluminum upper lower 22 rimfire AR-15's.  I'll admit I built my AR-15 rimfires many years before the S&W 15-22 came on the market.

I'd pass on the Mossberg, I shot one and it is a Yugo compared to my Corvette AR-15 22's.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:42:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Granted it's not the cheapest route, but I went with the CMMG dedicated M4 upper on a built lowere copied from my M4'gery.  Everything set up identical, or close.  It works great and is very accurate compared to my drop in conversion in any of my rifles.  

If you aren't in it to train yourself on the platform, then just get a 10/22 to practice shooting.  Itherwise, anything else is stacking the comprises.

ETA: of all other options, the S&W 15-22 is the next best from a dedicated  AR in 22lr.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 5:55:34 PM EDT
[#7]
OP, sent you a pm regarding barrels.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Wilson!

OP, contact Hochimin and see if he has any of these barrels left.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/1458682_wts_spikes_tactical_22_barrels.html
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Been actually thinking about this as well and was looking into the Walther/HK or Umarex/Colt models to use as a training gun
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:42:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Been actually thinking about this as well and was looking into the Walther/HK or Umarex/Colt models to use as a training gun
View Quote

Do some research before you buy the Umarex/Colt.....not all were happy with them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:50:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have been playing with this subject for many years now. Along with a couple of others here we have worked with these since they first came out. Spikes, CMMG, TACCOM, and others. Many, many thousands of rounds through conversions and dedicated uppers. Dedicated .22's just do best if you want to shoot a lot. Conversions, however, do have a place for some. The nice thing about a conversion is that you can pick up a barrel and bulld a dedcated upper later if your needs or budget change our if you find out you are shooting it a lot. Like many I started with a conversion some years back and gradually upgraded to a full dedicated upper. Now I have four dedicated uppers of various styles and a conversion for when I need it.

The S&W rifle is a great little piece but if you are use to a standard AR they can feel like a toy due to their light weight They are good pieces and are dependable, but they are not the same feel. That Mossburg thing is....well.......let's be polite and say its just not quite up to the S&W or a Ruger 10/22.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:10:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I am planning my first free state purchase since I moved recently and plan on a S&W 15-22. Any input on where I might find one at the best price? If it is a shop in my new home state of Arizona that would be a bonus
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:12:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Where in AZ are you?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Going to go against the grain and suggest the conversion.

I've been using the same drop in for close to a decade with zero problems.

Shit gets too dirty for your liking?  Clean it and shoot some more.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:42:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Warp I am in the prescott area
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:45:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Can't help you there, too far away from me.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I got a CMMG bolt group and barrel and built a 22 AR. It is the most "fun" gun I own.

I also bought an airsoft DD clone quad rail and an out of spec/maybe fake sopmod stock to dress it up like my normal ARs.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:49:25 PM EDT
[#19]
or you could get one of these

http://www.compasslake.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=46&products_id=271
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:15:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I was always happy with my old CMMG conversion. Recently jumped into the dedicated 22 AR thing. Wish I had done it sooner. This is waiting (and will be for a while) on a suppressor for it. But it's a blast even as it is.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:53:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I like both for different reasons but if you've got the money a dedicated upper is sweet too.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 11:35:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thanks Wilson!

OP, contact Hochimin and see if he has any of these barrels left.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/1458682_wts_spikes_tactical_22_barrels.html
View Quote

He does...have no idea how many though....received mine Friday. Dirty, but pretty much GTG.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top