Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2016 7:23:31 PM EDT
My son and I shoot a Ruger 10/22 quite a bit in no small part due to the ammo costs when shooting anything else. So, I'm looking to get a dedicated upper for .22 only. I figured I would just swap the upper with the AR I have and if we end up shooting it as much as I think we will, get a lower for it later.

So, what would you recommend? We will mainly be punching paper and doing some small game shooting. So, I would like a little more accuracy than what I hear you end up with using a conversion kit.

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 7:29:25 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_848572_-1_757786_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Costs the same as a dedicated upper, doesnt fail.
Is very fun!
Tons of aftermarket support.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 7:32:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#3]
You might look in to Taccom  or CMMG
Have you considered building your own?  Taccom has 17" UL barrels and  16" Steel in stock, Lot's of other parts to

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought my wife the new version of the S&W MP15-22. Most/cheapest fun I've had with my pants on..lol

was headed the dedicated .22 upper route. but now we can shoot at the same time.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 8:19:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought my wife the new version of the S&W MP15-22. Most/cheapest fun I've had with my pants on..lol

was headed the dedicated .22 upper route. but now we can shoot at the same time.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:05:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Sig 522?
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:47:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You might look in to Taccom  or CMMG
Have you considered building your own?  Taccom has 17" UL barrels and  16" Steel in stock, Lot's of other parts to

View Quote

I'm open to building my own if it gets me more accuracy for the money etc. I would probably need a item by item list of what to purchase though.

I've heard good things about Beyer barrels but it looks like they would be too big a chunk of my budget.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:05:04 PM EDT
[#8]
http://www.dpmsinc.com/22-Long-Rifle-AP4-Barrel-Assy_p_135.html
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:09:30 PM EDT
[#9]
What would the accuracy of this one be compared to a stock Ruger 10/22?
http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-CMG22B7C36
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:44:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Get a Marlin 39a .22
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:58:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

$15 off
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I usually run a cheap red dot but I put a 6x scope on this morning to see if it would group. 50 yards off a sandbag with CCI standard velocity.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:05:27 PM EDT
[#13]
"I'm open to building my own if it gets me more accuracy for the money etc. I would probably need a item by item list of what to purchase though.
I've heard good things about Beyer barrels but it looks like they would be too big a chunk of my budget."

You are correct.  Mine was right at $300 shipped but I went with the 18" target barrel.  I will say that I would do it again.  Very accurate barrel.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
"I'm open to building my own if it gets me more accuracy for the money etc. I would probably need a item by item list of what to purchase though.
I've heard good things about Beyer barrels but it looks like they would be too big a chunk of my budget."

You are correct.  Mine was right at $300 shipped but I went with the 18" target barrel.  I will say that I would do it again.  Very accurate barrel.
View Quote

Mind posting details on the other hardware you used? As complete as possible would be great. I think I will buy a CMMG upper this time but I think a build is in my near future.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#15]

I think I'm going to go with that upper.

What mags do you recommend to use with it? Anything else I should get or just use that upper as is with my existing lower?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:53:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What mags do you recommend to use with it? Anything else I should get or just use that upper as is with my existing lower?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I use S&W 15-22 magazines along with the Better Mag adaptor from Boonie Packer
Better Mag
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Greetings,

I bought a much earlier version of this:

http://www.dpmsinc.com/22-Long-Rifle-CM-Bull-Barrel-Assy_p_136.html

Heavy "bull" barrel, no FSB, otherwise same internals as the M4 version mentioned earlier in this thread and a bit less expensive. I went with the heavy barrel for better accuracy potential, as my use was as a target gun. My lower was purpose built for the project, but just about any mil-standard lower should work out. Two issues I had/have. First, (and I don't know if this is still the case as I bought mine close to 5 years ago), but the bolt/firing pin length was not compatible with the Gieslee SSA/E FCG I had wanted to install. I ended up using a Rock River 2 stage National Match which has been just fine for the purpose.

Next issue (and my major one) is there is  NO parts support from DPMS for any of the bolt parts, etc. They will NOT sell anything for spares or replacements. My upper has run very well since figuring out the FCG issue (any failures have been either ammo or mag related), accuracy is very good with certain types of ammo (which will be the case with any AR-.22LR) and not bad with most of the other stuff I've tried. If not for the lack of parts support I'd buy another one, however I like to keep sufficient spares on hand (for most all my firearms) for when they are needed. DPMS expects you to send the entire upper in for any "service" as opposed to selling a darn spring.

BTW, I probably have well over 10K rounds through this since I built it and it's still going well. Best of luck with your build!

Regards, Jim
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:22:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

+87 on the S&W M&P-15/22's

Great rifles!
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 11:32:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm happy with the CMMG dedicated upper so far but I am getting too many FTEs for my liking. I'm hoping everything just needs to get broken in.

Otherwise, any tips on what the issue could be?
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 2:06:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_848572_-1_757786_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Costs the same as a dedicated upper, doesnt fail.
Is very fun!
Tons of aftermarket support.
View Quote

Just got mine for $400 shipped to my FFL from budsgunshop.com

Great rifle. +1
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm happy with the CMMG dedicated upper so far but I am getting too many FTEs for my liking. I'm hoping everything just needs to get broken in.

View Quote

The extractor on 22 rimfire autos does as much in controlling the round during the feeding cycle as much as extraction.  CMMG bolts have been known to  have poorly fit extractors.  TAACOM3 sell high quality replacement extractor and firing pins.  There are pictures and threads on tweaking 22 LR dedicated AR-15 extractors.  CMMG also recommends polishing or buzzing the chamber on 22 LR uppers and conversion kits.  I use a short cleaning rod  with a barrel mop attached to a hand drill.  I use Flitz polishing compound to polish the chamber taking care not to get into the rifling.  CMMG says to use a brass bore brush with oil or CLP attached to a drill and buzz the chamber.

If you remove the 22 bolt and place a round in the chamber the round should fall out of the barrel if the muzzle is raised.  If the round won't fall out of the chamber polish or buzz the chamber.  Many 22 rimfire semi auto can be picky on ammo which function malfunction free.  I've had good luck with Federal 36/38 grain plated HP bulk and CCI ammo.  I normally have had great luck with Aguila 40 grain SE but got a couple of bad boxes a couple weeks ago.  Other than these couple of boxes I've had good luck with Aguila/Centurion some Armscor High Velocity and WW 36 grain bulk 555 & 333.

Link Posted: 8/8/2016 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Greetings,

I bought a much earlier version of this:

http://www.dpmsinc.com/22-Long-Rifle-CM-Bull-Barrel-Assy_p_136.html

Heavy "bull" barrel, no FSB, otherwise same internals as the M4 version mentioned earlier in this thread and a bit less expensive. I went with the heavy barrel for better accuracy potential, as my use was as a target gun. My lower was purpose built for the project, but just about any mil-standard lower should work out. Two issues I had/have. First, (and I don't know if this is still the case as I bought mine close to 5 years ago), but the bolt/firing pin length was not compatible with the Gieslee SSA/E FCG I had wanted to install. I ended up using a Rock River 2 stage National Match which has been just fine for the purpose.

Next issue (and my major one) is there is  NO parts support from DPMS for any of the bolt parts, etc. They will NOT sell anything for spares or replacements. My upper has run very well since figuring out the FCG issue (any failures have been either ammo or mag related), accuracy is very good with certain types of ammo (which will be the case with any AR-.22LR) and not bad with most of the other stuff I've tried. If not for the lack of parts support I'd buy another one, however I like to keep sufficient spares on hand (for most all my firearms) for when they are needed. DPMS expects you to send the entire upper in for any "service" as opposed to selling a darn spring.

BTW, I probably have well over 10K rounds through this since I built it and it's still going well. Best of luck with your build!

Regards, Jim
View Quote

Nordic uses the same bolt as the DPMS and may have been supplying parts or were in cooperation in the production of the DPMS current 22 LR AR-15 uppers.  You might be able to aquire spare parts from Nordic as they are now selling their own dedicated 22 rimfire uppers.

https://nordiccomp.com/categories/nc-22rb-upper/
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 7:32:59 PM EDT
[#23]
M&P15-22 for $399.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#24]
I've had success with a CMMG dedicated upper. Only needs good quality .22 ammo and cleaning every now and then. All the mags for my old Ceiner kit work.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 3:38:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I went with a Nordic upper.  It's great.  Very low round count, but no issues.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 11:13:39 AM EDT
[#26]
That Nordic pistol upper looks nice...  Are the bolts full-auto?  If not, anyone know if the CMMG sear trip and bounce weight will work in them?

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 8:25:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The extractor on 22 rimfire autos does as much in controlling the round during the feeding cycle as much as extraction.  CMMG bolts have been known to  have poorly fit extractors.  TAACOM3 sell high quality replacement extractor and firing pins.  There are pictures and threads on tweaking 22 LR dedicated AR-15 extractors.  CMMG also recommends polishing or buzzing the chamber on 22 LR uppers and conversion kits.  I use a short cleaning rod  with a barrel mop attached to a hand drill.  I use Flitz polishing compound to polish the chamber taking care not to get into the rifling.  CMMG says to use a brass bore brush with oil or CLP attached to a drill and buzz the chamber.

If you remove the 22 bolt and place a round in the chamber the round should fall out of the barrel if the muzzle is raised.  If the round won't fall out of the chamber polish or buzz the chamber.  Many 22 rimfire semi auto can be picky on ammo which function malfunction free.  I've had good luck with Federal 36/38 grain plated HP bulk and CCI ammo.  I normally have had great luck with Aguila 40 grain SE but got a couple of bad boxes a couple weeks ago.  Other than these couple of boxes I've had good luck with Aguila/Centurion some Armscor High Velocity and WW 36 grain bulk 555 & 333.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would you recommend their reliability kit or just the extractor and firing pin? Here is the kit I'm talking about:
http://www.taccom3g.com/22rf-reliability-kit.html

I got a whole CMMG upper so I would think they would take care of any fitting themselves. I understand adjustments if using their conversion kit to make it more reliable but I bought the complete CMMG upper. I am using the boonie mag adapter with SW mags so that would be an adjustment from their normal package.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top