BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2016 2:01:18 PM EDT
So my 9mm build is almost complete except for one thing:

Magazines

Where can I find some decent Colt-style magazines for this thing??

I have literally zero mags and so seem all the online stores I frequent. (Looking for quality ones, not junk but everyone seems out of stock!)

This is a stupid problem to have. Please help a brother out. Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 2:04:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Spikes
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:04:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Palmetto State Armory.  Unfortunately, I'd recommend you wait until they have them for $19.99 and then buy a bunch.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:17:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Brownells. A little on the expensive side, but oh so worth it.
Brownells Colt Magazines
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 5:17:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#6]
PSA when available.
Brownell's
CDNN has a good price on 32rd MF.
RifleGear has a very good price on 20rd MF.

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So my 9mm build is almost complete except for one thing:

Magazines

Where can I find some decent Colt-style magazines for this thing??

I have literally zero mags and so seem all the online stores I frequent. (Looking for quality ones, not junk but everyone seems out of stock!)

This is a stupid problem to have. Please help a brother out. Thanks in advance!
View Quote

Saw these at midway.
For the price, might be worth it to pick up a few.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2228167977/ar-stoner-magazine-ar-15-9mm-luger-stainless-steel-black

AFWIW....
I have used ASC mags in my PSD 9mm build, and had no issues with them.

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 10:50:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Saw these at midway.
For the price, might be worth it to pick up a few.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2228167977/ar-stoner-magazine-ar-15-9mm-luger-stainless-steel-black

AFWIW....
I have used ASC mags in my PSD 9mm build, and had no issues with them.

View Quote

Those are ASC.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 1:50:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Greg Cote, LLC http://gregcotellc.com/cart/ar15-9mm-metalform-magazines-c-175/metalform-ar15-9mm-conversion-32-round-9smg32s-p-1539.html

$29.95 each, super fast shipping.  Good guy too.  These are the metalform, who makes the PSA and Colt, Brownell, etc.  

He's in Florida, too!  

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I hate to promote cheaper than dirt but I got 4 ASC mags from them for $12 a piece just to hold me over until PSA gets them back in.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#11]
44mag.com has asc 9mm 32 rd for 14.99 they feed great but iffy on bolt hold open

psa mags a great feed abd bolt hold open 19.99

cdnnsports.com  metalform are great too 29.99

sgammo.com has c products 32 rd 13.99
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 7:20:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
44mag.com has asc 9mm 32 rd for 14.99 they feed great but iffy on bolt hold open
View Quote

I normally buy from them, but the 32 round magazines have been out of stock since the Orlando terrorist attack and the demoncrats post attack gun control push.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 8:48:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Everybody seems to be giving you advice on the 32rd mags (PSA and Brownells version only come in 32rd) but I prefer the 20rd version. RifleGear has the 20rd Metalform's on sale for $25.99 RifleGear Metalform AR15 9mm 20rd Magazine

I personally would stay away from the ASC mags. They use to be known as C-Products. Whatever they want to call themselves today their mags are still inferior and not as reliable as the Metalforms IMO.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 9:27:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I have mags from Metalform, ASC, ProMag and a modified Uzi 32 rd.   All work just fine.

If you have a problem with the ASC mags not holding the bolt open, take just a bit off the top of the left side of the follower.   Go easy until the BHO works.  The is a Youtube video on this.

With the ProMag polymer,  it will need some tweaking.   Take the follower out and take a little off the back until it will slide up and down in the body by gravity.   The feed lips will probably have flashing which will stop the round when hand feeding with the thumb.   Take a sharp knife to the flashing until the round will feed out smoothly.   I have 13 poly ProMags and they all work flawlessly after these mods.   I got a deal on the ProMags so I picked up a bunch.

The only problem I have with any mags now is from a Metalform.   It sometimes jams on the last empty round.   No big deal really so I havent fussed with it yet.

Probably the best deal is the ASC mags.

I have seen complaints about all the mags.   Any might have to be fitted to the rifle.

For the range on the bench the 20 rounder is easier to use.   Recently picked up a 10 round ASC to try it.   I handload and use a chrono a lot.  

One of my 9mm ARs is a Black Creek Precision dedicated lower.   It seems they have a good bullet ramp system as I have been unable to make it jam.  

For Serious Social Purposes, I would use the best metal mags that function 100%.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 4:29:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a handful of cproducts 32 round mags. I can't get the damn things to hold more than 22 or so rounds. I also had to bend the top side of the hole for the mag catch out a little. They were dropping free while I was shooting. I plan on replacing them with metalform
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 9:10:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I have some Colt Metalforms with plastic follower.  Won't hold bolt open but otherwise OK

C Products LLC mags are good to go but they're defunct and now are C Products Defense or something

I bought some 20 rd C Products Defense 20 rd mags and haven't had a chance to try them yet but the quality is outstanding upon initial examination.

Feel like they're built like a tank
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 9:36:21 AM EDT
[#17]
J&G Sales has C Product 20 and 32 rd Colt style mags on sale periodically. Check often.  I have 10 20rd, and 15 or 16 32rd mags. All work fine. I did having too trim some flashing off a few of the followers to let them feed all the way to the top. I think only 3 out of all of them.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#18]
C-Products mags at AIM Surplus for $13.95:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=1585&name=C+Products+9mm+Colt+Style+SS+Magazines

Now, I don't have my build done yet so I haven't had a chance to use them - I bought one just so I wouldn't have a problem finding mags once I completed my build.  I'd also be interested if others have used them and could comment....  the build quality feels nice and hefty, but I haven't had a chance to use...
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 8:33:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Just wanted to reply back with feedback on my ASC mags. I ran 2 out of the four yesterday and they cycled perfectly! Bolt hold open worked every time and fed slow and fast. Maybe the new ones are better quality or maybe my setup just isn't that picky. The Macon Armory colt mag adapter is work of art as well so I'm very pleased with my swap from the glock mag lower!! For $12 a piece I'm super pleased with my ASC mags
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Has anyone tried the IWI tavor 9mm mags?   They are in stock for $29.99 on IWI's website.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Has anyone tried the IWI tavor 9mm mags?   They are in stock for $29.99 on IWI's website.
View Quote

I have 2 of them and they have functioned flawlessly so far.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 6:13:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone know if these are Metalform mags rebranded by IWI?
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. The IWI 9mm mags are actually rebranded ASC magazines. They just cost a whole bunch more.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 8:15:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not this goyim. not now, not ever.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 8:49:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I personally would stay away from the ASC mags. They use to be known as C-Products. Whatever they want to call themselves today their mags are still inferior and not as reliable as the Metalforms IMO.
View Quote

It's a little more complex than that.  The "new" C-Products Defense company is a whole new firm, but they build essentially the same 9mm magazines - they just do it a lot better than their earlier namesake.  ASC was formed by former (original) C-Products employees, and they make essentially the same magazine as the old C-Products company, but again, they do it a lot better.

The thing about ASC/S-Products Defense 9mm Colt AR mags is that they feed differently from Metalform magazines.  Metalform magazines feed almost perfectly straight, while the ASC/C-Pro magazines feed at a pretty high angle.  That means some guns will feed fine from both kinds, while others might not feed from the ASC/C-Pro design at all.

For what it's worth, my (original) C-Products magazines ALL feed just fine in my guns using a Rock River magazine block.  I think this is the key to being able to use both the C-Pro mags and Metalforms; I can tweak the exact spot the magazine sits in the lower, which lets me run all my mags (including modified Uzi magazines, by the way) without worrying about adjustments.

And with all of that said, OP, given a choice I'd definitely go with a Metalform-made magazine all the time.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 9:27:52 AM EDT
[#26]
I have several ASC and C Products magazines in different capacities.   When I first got them, I had problems with the front of the follower hitting the feed ramp and not holding the bolt open.   It seemed the follower had too much play when at the top.   I found the springs were in wrong, upside down or backwards.   After switching things around they all worked with no problems.   So, check for that if problems come up.

My Black Creek Precision Colt type lower feeds every thing fine from all mags I have tried.   That include the cheapie mags from ProMag.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Everybody seems to be giving you advice on the 32rd mags (PSA and Brownells version only come in 32rd) but I prefer the 20rd version. RifleGear has the 20rd Metalform's on sale for $25.99 RifleGear Metalform AR15 9mm 20rd Magazine

View Quote

Thanks for the info. I bought 4 of the 20rd Metaforms mags from riflegear.com and they look identical to my factory 20rd Colt mags (without all the logo). Great price at $25.99 each with free shipping (during the July 4th weekend sale). I have 5 of the factory Colt 32rd mags but rarely use them since I prefer the 20rd mags.

Yg
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 7:50:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It's a little more complex than that....

And with all of that said, OP, given a choice I'd definitely go with a Metalform-made magazine all the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It's a little more complex than that....

See, to me it really is just that simply. Metalforms are the best so that's what I stick with. Others may have had different experiences but in my experience, Metalforms work 100% of the time with no tweaking, adjusting or any other BS. Other mags, not so much. Back when Metalforms were hard to find and cost $40-$50ea, I could see why it was worth trying to run the cheaper alternatives but these days, there is no reason to run anything else. Just my $.02, YMMV

Quoted:
Thanks for the info. I bought 4 of the 20rd Metaforms mags from riflegear.com and they look identical to my factory 20rd Colt mags (without all the logo). Great price at $25.99 each with free shipping (during the July 4th weekend sale). I have 5 of the factory Colt 32rd mags but rarely use them since I prefer the 20rd mags.

No problem sir. I feel the same way. I have a number of the 32rd's but I prefer and use the 20's. Matter of fact, I will be selling some of my 32's to get some more 20's
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 5:48:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Just got in two 20 rounders(Metalform) from riflegear.com.  Both function 100%.  I did notice that I can load them with 23 rounds, not just 20.  Small bonus!
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 4:02:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Just saw this while looking for something else.  I never bought from them so I can't comment on the vendor.

http://www.buymymags.com/colt-ar-15-9mm-32rds/

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just saw this while looking for something else.  I never bought from them so I can't comment on the vendor.

View Quote

Based on the pic, they look right? If those are actual Colt stamped Metalform 9mm mags, that's a great price. Guys on the EE with Colt marked metalform still price them like these are collector items or something?
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 12:17:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Based on the pic, they look right? If those are actual Colt stamped Metalform 9mm mags, that's a great price. Guys on the EE with Colt marked metalform still price them like these are collector items or something?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Magazine for Colt 9mm stype carbines
Steel contruction
Made in U.S.A
New unused magazine but old stock

But, they have some screwed up shipping restrictions which have no basis in any laws!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 2:11:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just got in two 20 rounders(Metalform) from riflegear.com.  Both function 100%.  I did notice that I can load them with 23 rounds, not just 20.  Small bonus!
View Quote

I tried with the Metalform and I can load them with 23 rounds vs 24 rounds for the Colt factory 20 rounder.  Never thought of loading more than 20 rounds before. Great bonus with the extra rounds.

Yg
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Has anyone tried the Metalform 10 round mags?   I was thinking of getting one for range use.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 4:03:42 PM EDT
[#35]
IWI Tavor 9mm stick mag been shown to work on Hank Strange YouTube Channel.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:38:44 PM EDT
[#36]
FYI, Metalform mags are back in stock at PSA
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:48:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
FYI, Metalform mags are back in stock at PSA
View Quote

Thanks.  I have been waiting for these to come back into stock.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:45:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I believe Metelform manufactures the mags for Colt, PSA, Brownells.

I have a number with baseplates marked Colt, PSA, Brownells and they look exactly the same in design, finish and followers.

You can't of wrong with the PSA ones at $19.99. I just picked up 5 more a few days ago and just noticed they were out of stock again.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#39]
So, the PSA mags arrived and they don't fit nearly as good into the PSA Lower as the Brownells mags.

And I mean, very poorly. The PSA mag doesn't lock into place with the bolt closed (need to hit it very hard to get it seated) and the bolt is very hard to charge. Also, you really need to press the bolt release to get it to work, and the mags do not drop free.

On the other hand, the Brownells mags fit and drop free as one would expect from any magazine.

What's going on here?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So, the PSA mags arrived and they don't fit nearly as good into the PSA Lower as the Brownells mags.

And I mean, very poorly. The PSA mag doesn't lock into place with the bolt closed (need to hit it very hard to get it seated) and the bolt is very hard to charge. Also, you really need to press the bolt release to get it to work, and the mags do not drop free.

On the other hand, the Brownells mags fit and drop free as one would expect from any magazine.

What's going on here?
View Quote

What type of lower are you running?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:31:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's going on here?

PSA dedicated colt lower. Spinta bolt if that makes a difference

The mag drops and inserts freely when the bolt is locked back.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:25:06 AM EDT
[#42]
I bought (8) 32rd and (4) 20rd ASC mags about a year ago. Only paid like 12.00 for the 32's and 14.00 for the 20's. Have been 100 percent. LRBHO every time. Got em from J&G Sales, don't know if they still have them or not. Make sure you get a Maglula mag loader to go with them, best money I ever spent on a gun accessory .
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:38:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's going on here?

While most of the time it is easier to see how the mags would be the issue or it could be an issue of tolerance stacking, I have had enough problems with PSA lowers, uppers, bolts, etc that I'd be inclined to bet on Metalform getting it right with the mags and that the PSA lower is wonky or on the edge of tolerances. Then again, is it a PSA problem (lower) or is it a PSA problem (magazine)? It's a PSA problem either way.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 2:29:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Just an FYI that Metalform 32rd mags are back in stock at CDNN.   I already ordered a couple so have at it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#45]
just ordered 3 PSA 32rd mags from PSA.  surprised they've stayed in stock for a couple of days now.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Jestice Arms has 32rnd ASC mags for $14 and $6.95 flat rate shipping.
Just got 2 ASC 20rnd mags and they are GTG.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#47]
PSA has their mags on daily sale for 19.99$ Just ordered a few, they said they were made by metalform so hope they are quality. It's 8.50$ for shipping, they got some decent prices on PMC bronze 223 and federal 9mm so you can add a few of those in there to max out on shipping.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted: I found the springs were in wrong, upside down or backwards.   After switching things around they all worked with no problems.   So, check for that if problems come up.

My Black Creek Precision Colt type lower feeds every thing fine from all mags I have tried.   That include the cheapie mags from ProMag.
View Quote

Dumb question, but which way is the correct way for the spring to go?  Is it the last bend of the spring on the back of the follower or on the front?

I did have to open up the feed lips of my ASC magazines to work with my Spinta precision bolt.  A couple of minutes with a file and they work fine.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top