Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2016 6:45:59 PM EDT
I have recently been looking into building a 9mm AR. Obviously I can go down two paths: Glock or Colt.

Excluding magazine prices, is one platform cheaper to build than the other?

Also, is one more reliable than the other?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#1]
So, I'm not going to answer your question directly.  I thought about Colt and Glock.  When I realized I had several Glock 9mm's, I considered the magazines to be "free".  Bottom line, if you like Glock pistols, go that route.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#2]
The Glock pattern can require more expensive and/or proprietary parts to enable the use of the last-round-bolt-hold-open vs. the Colt pattern.

Otherwise, with all the options out now, either can be made to be very reliable.  However, unlike 5.56 ARs, they can require more fitting and tinkering to get running right, and that holds for both patterns.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I went Colt, very pleased.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:05:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So, I'm not going to answer your question directly.  I thought about Colt and Glock.  When I realized I had several Glock 9mm's, I considered the magazines to be "free".  Bottom line, if you like Glock pistols, go that route.
View Quote

This is how I look at it. I didn't have any glocks when I built mine, so I went with a Colt lower from QC10. It has a proven LRBHO feature. And since I needed magazines for either system I went with the colt. So if you own glock magazines already it makes more sense. Awesome guns. I love mine

As far as which costs more EXCLUDING magazines? I think it's close to even. Some people have had issues with the LRBHO on the glocks. Other than that they should both run like champs
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:05:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Went with Colt also....Under $20 for 32 round mags....Hahn bottom block and ready to go.  I've read a lot of about problems with the glock setups(on here) so thought I would stay with the Colt...runs like a dream!
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:25:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I have 3.Colt style, all run great, just make sure you use metalform mags.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:31:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are the metal form and ASC mags different? I heard the ASC used to be called something else. I never looked into it. I have 5 ASC 32's and a 10 and they all run flawless. I can't afford true colt mags
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:52:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Are the metal form and ASC mags different? I heard the ASC used to be called something else. I never looked into it. I have 5 ASC 32's and a 10 and they all run flawless. I can't afford true colt mags

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Two different companies.  The follower design is the main difference.

True Colt mags are made by Metalform.  Metalform also makes PSA branded mags, so other than the stamp on the floorplate, they are idential, and the PSA ones are only around $20.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:05:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Gotcha. I get the emails for the PSA mags when they are in stock. When they have them I don't have the funds and vice versa. I will try to pick some up here soon for redundancy
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:22:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Colt
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:49:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

True Colt mags are made by Metalform.  Metalform also makes PSA branded mags, so other than the stamp on the floorplate, they are idential, and the PSA ones are only around $20.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. I just picked up a few ASC mags to try, had failures on one of the last two rnds every time due to the follower hitting the feed ramp. I modded them by rounding off the front of the follower, tried them tonight and they ran 100%.

Modifying mags is something you won't have to do with metalforms, they work.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:02:54 PM EDT
[#12]
arjohnson - Dedicated lower or mag blocks?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:31:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
arjohnson - Dedicated lower or mag blocks?
View Quote

Mag blocks in all mine, 2 RRA and a Hahn dedicated.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 2:13:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a few examples of both Glock and Colt dedicated lowers.

They both run fine, I consider either type reliable enough to compete in matches with them .

They both cost about the same to build.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:55:14 AM EDT
[#15]
If you go with a dedicated lower price isn't much different. However if you have to consider the cost of also purchasing a mag block that's where your price difference comes into play I think. I originally built mine on a spartan glock lower (because I carry a glock 19) and it ran great. However I decided to switch to a standard lower and run a mag block so I can SBR that lower and use it for any other upper I may decide to build down the road. I also like the idea of the lrbho actually working. Not a necessity but I do like having it. Waiting on my ASC mags to get shipped and I'll be buying some metalforms as well as soon as PSA gets them back in.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:28:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I just finished my QC10 Colt build and could not be more happy after the bugs were smashed.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:55:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Dedicated lower, Colt pattern
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 9:31:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I had a Colt that was relentlessly reliable that was a sad casualty of the New York safe act. Once I get settled in free America ( eta 48 hours) another Colt is on my buy list.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#19]
There are two situations in which the Glock is better.  (1) you already have a bunch of Glock mags, and (2) you want to be able to put a .40 S&W or .357 Sig upper on the same lower.  Otherwise I'd go with Colt, personally - proven LRBHO and I think the straight drop on the mag looks better.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 12:48:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a QC10 Colt lower.  I use Metalform mags.  Absolutely reliable.  LRBO works everytime with no issues.
Upper is an Aero M4E1, Green Mtn barrel, CMMG bolt, Wolf XP spring, KAK 9mm buffer and blade stock, and a $1.25 in quarters in the tube for spacers.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top