Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2016 1:29:06 AM EDT
Hi I have taken my new PSA 9mm AR to it's first range trip and noticed some peening on the rear of the ejector and a little wear on the bolt catch.
I contacted PSA and they are willing to send me a label and look it over, but I was wondering if anyone here might know if anything looks wrong in these pics.
I have fired 150 rounds of 115 gr fmj 9mm through it so far.And had no malfunctions so far.

If I cycle the bolt manually I can feel it hit the rear of the ejector as it contacts it from the rear in the channel of the bcg, but it seems to cycle smoothly once it gets past that point.
Any advice I get will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Brandon

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:39:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Double check thread title
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:04:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Typo fixed
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine came with damage/wear to the ejector (looks exactly like the one in your pics) straight from the factory. I'm guessing that's just from a couple test rounds, so it will only get worse once I get a chance to actually shoot it. Hopefully it doesn't lead to future problems.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:07:10 AM EDT
[#4]
bump
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:42:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I think it's common on 9mm ARs. Both my QC10 builds peen the bolt catch a little. One build liked to break them when it was a pistol. You might want to increase the spring to help minimize it. It helped with the pistol build.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Found this thread searching for the same issue.  New PSA 9mm upper and lower and it would not manually cycle at first.  Had to fiddle with the ejector.  Still feel it hit coming and going, but will cycle.  

On mine, it looks like if it was more to the left in the cut out it wouldn't hit as much, but the set screws push it all the way to the right.  

I guess if it starts breaking them, I will have make me some....
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 2:32:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I sent mine in to PSA and they replaced the ejector and bolt catch.
Cycles much better now and does not hit the ejector rear anymore.
Looks like they may have tweaked the ejector a bit, I have not had a chance to shoot it yet since it came back, but will report the results.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:09:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like they may have tweaked the ejector a bit, I have not had a chance to shoot it yet since it came back, but will report the results.
View Quote

Glad they took care of you I will be interested to see how it is working.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:06:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, if they did redesign the ejector, I hope they'll send one out to those of us who are having the same problem. Don't want to send my lower in again, already did that once, and they did nothing but toss it in a different box and send it back.

My bolt is bashing the hell out of the ejector, and scrapes all the way across it on both passes when charging the weapon. It already has a pretty good chunk missing from that back edge, and that's just from pulling the charging handle maybe 40-50 times at home. I'm sure it'll only get worse once I get to the range and put a couple hundred through it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:36:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well, if they did redesign the ejector, I hope they'll send one out to those of us who are having the same problem. Don't want to send my lower in again, already did that once, and they did nothing but toss it in a different box and send it back.

My bolt is bashing the hell out of the ejector, and scrapes all the way across it on both passes when charging the weapon. It already has a pretty good chunk missing from that back edge, and that's just from pulling the charging handle maybe 40-50 times at home. I'm sure it'll only get worse once I get to the range and put a couple hundred through it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask them in the PSA forum.  This needs to be addressed by them. I have the same rifle and mine is not doing it yet.

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I asked PSA about this in the industry forum. My lower came from PSA with the notch in the rear of the ejector where a bolt had hit it and scrapes on the right side.
My ejector looked about like the original poster but I don't think I have a notch in the bolt release but I will check it.
Would be nice if PSA would tell us how they shim them so we can do it ourselves without having to send the lower back to them.
Some of us who have built a few ARs are pretty good at fixing issues like this

Here is my post in the industry forum under PSA
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks Mad-Machinist for checking for me. I assumed the PSA lowers were made by NFA.
I have heard you are the "go to" guy for keeping all of us with AR9s from going crazy getting them to run right.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 7:40:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Mines  doing the exact same thing. It hit the ejector hard at first I filed an angle on the backside and lightly filed the ejector to give it more clearance. The issue I see is the ejector just  slightly to colose to the bolt as it passes by on the chambering of a round. Yes a shim  or of you got access to a surface grinder with a magnet table would do the trick . Now my Glock lower with matching PSA upper has been 100% . I did have the ejector get loose on me . I found it during cleaning it after the range trip. I just tightened it up. Madmachinist I see your in Macon. My Home town  . I was just there last week . Your shop is around  my old roaming grounds. I grew up in Lizella . I rotated to NC   when the Tobacco plant  moved in 2005  .  Cheers Wardawg
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:14:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#16]
SWEET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:44:48 PM EDT
[#17]
This is after only 50 rounds

Crazy that PSA considers this normal wear

Colliding with the ejector during every single cycle can't be good for the life of the bolt...

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top