Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2016 12:30:26 AM EDT
Would a pistol caliber carbine build be a good candidate for a polymer lower?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:37:03 AM EDT
[#1]
No.  Blowback uppers are even harder on the gun than gas operated rifle caliber uppers are.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:35:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll +1 this. About 5-10 years ago, back before ramping a 9mm carrier was a 'thing', it wasn't uncommon to hear about pins egging out the holes in an aluminum lower.

Also, I'll add that I used to have a complete polymer New Frontier 5.56 lower w/poly FCG, never had any issues on a 5.56 or 7.62x39 upper. One day I decided to swap it out with the aluminum lower on my RRA 9mm AR w/ramped bolt (I already had a blowback hammer on it for a .22lr build) and for some reason the poly hammer would never reset. It would reset when manually charged, and the carrier was traveling all the way back, but for some reason it just never worked right. But that same lower setup eventually ran fine on a dedicated .22lr upper.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top