Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2016 12:48:46 AM EDT

Getting ready to pull the trigger on some parts for a couple 9mm builds and curious about these barrels. Anyone have experience comparing barrels from these two companies? I've heard good things about Kaw Valley, but no direct experience. Looking at both the 16" and 8"/8.5" options and would appreciate any insight or recommendations.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:42:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Interested in Kaw Valley reviews as well.  Mine should be here on Thursday.... I figured that at $100 from JBO that there really wasn't a reason not to order one.  Going to try to source another upper so I can keep my current upper intact.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:00:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interested in Kaw Valley reviews as well.  Mine should be here on Thursday.... I figured that at $100 from JBO that there really wasn't a reason not to order one.  Going to try to source another upper so I can keep my current upper intact.
View Quote

I have the 4.5" Kaw Valley from JBO.  Seems like excellent quality (even finish, clean bore, clean barrel threads), and shoots straight.

Seemed like a pretty good deal to me. I'd buy another one.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:02:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I purchased one of the KAW Valley 4.5" 9mm barrels and it was delivered yesterday. Everything looks great. As good if not better than my GM barrel. I mounted it up, but have not shot it yet. Could not pass up the Joe Bob deal. Been looking at short 9mm barrels for a while, but did not want a NFA barrel with the 1/12 twist. The twist rate was my determining factor between the two.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:26:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I got one of the NFA 7.5" barrels from JBO. LIke the others have stated about KAW, the fit finish and performance has been great. I doubt you can go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:50:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a 4.5 kaw valley I may shoot today if I have time, I will report back if I do!
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I splurged for the NFA "Match" bbl from Joe Bob's.   Once I got it in hand and saw how nicely it's made, I feel like I got my money's worth.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 1:20:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I went ahead and picked up the KVP 8.5" for starters. I'll follow back up once it comes in but the few reviews I have seen on their stuff seem positive so I'm hoping for the best.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:54:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Just shot mine! And it is a fucking blast.   Super accurate and insanely fun at the plates!  Only shot out to 33' but I was surprised how accurate I was with it when standing.  I REALLY want to SBR this thing now lol

ETA:  it ran flawless!!
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Any additional reviews or feedback on the NFA barrels?

Piecing together a build and trying to do as cost effective as possible.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:02:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Faxon recommended the Kaw Valley barrels.  That makes me think they make them so I would say they are GTG.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:23:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 6:44:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Its a pleasure to confirm we do make them under contract for Kaw Valley to their specifications.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Faxon recommended the Kaw Valley barrels.  That makes me think they make them so I would say they are GTG.

Its a pleasure to confirm we do make them under contract for Kaw Valley to their specifications.

Well, there you go.  The Kaw/ Faxon barrel would be my choice out of the two that are mentioned in this thread.

Faxon.... Any chance you will be making a slightly heavier profile in the 8in or so length?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 6:51:53 PM EDT
[#14]
nice barrels nathan.

slightly off topic, are you guys capable of making a 3 lug barrel?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:45:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Verrry interesting,  there is a lot of frustration with obtaining tros barrels.   I don't know how we'd arrange a run, but I'd certainly be in "take my money" status.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:18:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I have this barrel on my 9mm build, it's a great barrel at a very good price.  

http://www.schuylerarmsco.com/product.ballistic-advantage-8-9mm-barrel-76-993
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Verrry interesting,  there is a lot of frustration with obtaining tros barrels.   I don't know how we'd arrange a run, but I'd certainly be in "take my money" status.
View Quote

AMEN!
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#19]
From what I can tell the Kaw barrels are the only real lightweight options, which is nice. Not sure why the 9mm trend is towards med-con barrels... I don't see the point for 9mm.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:36:10 AM EDT
[#20]
This is an identical thread to one I was just going to come in here and post. I'm also in the process of building my AR 9, and I'm on Joe Bobs website looking at thekawl Valley and the NFA barrels. Although I'm looking at a 16 inch length. From what I'm reading here the kaw valley sounds like the way to go.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:04:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I wished JBO carried 6 inch barrels; that's what I'm looking for to create the look I want with a 4 inch DOE style handguard, an A2 style front sight and a mark flash can. I see lots of 7.5, 5.5 and 4.5 barrels but nothing in the 6 inch range.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:05:46 PM EDT
[#22]
That's kak flash can. Damn auto correct
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:52:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I wished JBO carried 6 inch barrels; that's what I'm looking for to create the look I want with a 4 inch DOE style handguard, an A2 style front sight and a mark flash can. I see lots of 7.5, 5.5 and 4.5 barrels but nothing in the 6 inch range.
View Quote

Micro MOA has a 6.1" barrel, buts it's currently out of stock.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:39:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 3:07:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Great! Glad to hear that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:50:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We should be turning them this week.  So about two weeks out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 6.1" runs great.  Very happy with it!
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#27]
That's the barrel I have, probably going to have to send it off to Macon to fix the transition of the cone. Rounds are nosing into it.  NFA upper & lower
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's the barrel I have, probably going to have to send it off to Macon to fix the transition of the cone. Rounds are nosing into it.  NFA upper & lower
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:19:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting, using PSA metalform mags my AR went through 200 rounds without a hiccup until I tried an ASC mag.  (failure to feed)
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:31:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good, because I want one.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:23:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Interesting, using PSA metalform mags my AR went through 200 rounds without a hiccup until I tried an ASC mag.  (failure to feed)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would be fine for Colt, Glock not so much
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:08:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's good to know, thanks.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 3:00:20 PM EDT
[#33]
How much barrel protrudes from the face of the upper with the KAW 8.5"?  How does a true 7" rail fit?  Are the threads clear?
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 5:22:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
How much barrel protrudes from the face of the upper with the KAW 8.5"?  How does a true 7" rail fit?  Are the threads clear?
View Quote

I don't have a 7" rail available, but I do have a Kaw 8.5" barrel and a receiver sitting here in my office so it's your lucky day!

From the front receiver face, I am getting approximately 7-3/8" to the start of the threads:

Even if my quick eyeball measurement is off just a bit, you should have at least 1/4" free in front of a true 7" rail.

Hope that helps.

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Dog
(snip)
.......Hope that helps.

View Quote

It does - many thanks!
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top