Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2015 10:08:47 PM EDT
I searched the 8 pages of archived posts, did not see anything specific on this issue

I  have Metalform, ASC, and PSA 9mm AR mags

I know UZI mags can be converted to work and have downloaded the template from this forum.  

I have somebody w/ a Bridgeport mill  w/ CNC add-on who will help me.  

I know the converted UZI mags  will not hold the bolt open unless I make additional mods (like I've seen on youtube).

I read  that UZI mags are as tough as they come, part of the appeal.

So:

Is the end result reliable?

is it worth it, assuming the UZI mags are  $8 each and the use of the mill will cost me a 12-pack of beer ?   Or should I  wait for another  PSA sale at $12 each?   I'm looking at converting several dozen 25 and 32 round mags.    

Is it worth doing the hold-open conversion as well ?  

How harmful to the 9mm AR  is it not having that feature ?

any other tips to avoid ruining the UZI mags or turning out an unusable or malfunctioning product?

Thanks,

kmk
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:13:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Where are you finding Uzi mags for $8.00?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:51:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where are you finding Uzi mags for $8.00?
View Quote

I did a bing search and came up w/ 20 places that sell UZI mags from $8 used   to $25 NIB,    the cheapest ones were listed  listed as used, condition varies, some have rust, minimum quantity 50   It took me a couple hours of wading thru the various sites.  

I figured I'd take a chance since Metalform mags were $30 and up, but then PSA ran a sale this past Wednesday on 9mm AR mags for $12.  It turns out they are Metalform, but rollmarked PSA.   I bought a bunch.

so now I'm having second thoughts, but want the opinions of the group on the the UZI conversions
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:31:49 PM EDT
[#3]
if done correctly, they should work fine.

the last round bolt hold open is a preference not a necessity.
and some people will tell you that it is better not to have it, since they have a habit of breaking them on 9mm ar's

that being said, if your gun will run on acs, aim usually has them for around 12 bucks and JSE for around 15 bucks.

just depends on how good you are at modifying them.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#4]
as I wrote, I've got somebody w/ a Bridgeport to which he has retrofitted CNC  gear and a desktop PC w/ the necessary software to run it.

my guy was vo-tech trained for tool and die and he keeps the machine in his workshop for fun.  He thinks making  parts for his Brit car is relaxing.    I'm thinking UZI mag conversion has to be an order of magnitude simpler than any of that work.

my role is going to be buying the beer, disassembling mags,  and generally playing the part of go-fer.   I hope to learn a few things and will of course owe him one down the road.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:16:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:40:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I as an Uzi owner since 1988,, went 9mm AR-15 in 2003.. I use plain old Uzi mags in a VM Hy-Tech block,, plug-n-play since day 1..  Dont feel the need to invest in other mags, Uzi dont have bolt hold, why should I worry about it with a "swap top" SBR lower
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top