Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2015 5:40:26 PM EDT
My current build is a Retro style Colt 9mm carbine. Can anyone help point me in the direction to find some ballistic information on difference barrel lengths or if you have that information, that’s even better. I’m wondering what kind actual difference there would be between a 16” barrel vs an 11.5” barrel? I have thought about cutting down my 16” colt carbine barrel to 11.5” and adding a faux XM177 style flash hinder but I’d like to research the following……

1). What would be the difference in velocity?
2). How much accuracy would I actually loose.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My current build is a Retro style Colt 9mm carbine. Can anyone help point me in the direction to find some ballistic information on difference barrel lengths or if you have that information, that’s even better. I’m wondering what kind actual difference there would be between a 16” barrel vs an 11.5” barrel? I have thought about cutting down my 16” colt carbine barrel to 11.5” and adding a faux XM177 style flash hinder but I’d like to research the following……

1). What would be the difference in velocity?  Depending on the load about 50FPS
2). How much accuracy would I actually loose. All things being equal, barrel quality/build or in the case of a cut/crown/thread assuming its done right NONE.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:17:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Agree, no difference. My preban colt 16" is very accurate, before my stigmatism I shot open sights, 100yds and chewed x ring out. MY new build is 11in quality barrel from Rudy, (Mad-Machinist) it shoots just as accurately BTW I shoot a mix of cheaper ammo through them Blazer/rem/win amercan eagle, as well as good loads too. This week I will be testing 124 and 147gr subsonics and +P+ loads.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:28:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Using my 16" barrel I saw 1355 fps

90g Frangible
4.5g accurate #2
Tula Mag Primer
1.12 OAL

supposed to be 1150 fps from a 4" barrel, I have a 6.5 barrel but haven't had a chance to chrono the load with it
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:34:37 AM EDT
[#5]
You shouldn't lose any accuracy if the cut is done right.  I hit steel easily with my 5.5" QC10 barrel at 100 yards.  Everything I've ever seen is that all things being equal, barrel length doesn't impact accuracy, just velocity.

John
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:05:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the Feedback and the link, very much appreciated.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top