Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2015 8:38:58 PM EDT
I have seen some great lists lately that have pushed me over the edge in deciding that a stubby 9mm will be my next build.

I would like to see what is out there for side charging upper receivers that will work with 9mm.

Pictures and experiences are appreciated.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#1]
All of them will except the Gibbz.  They will require modifications to the bolt, except the Gibbz. Depending on the upper those modifications could be as simple as a small notch to drilling and threading a hole for the charging handle.

ETA: corrected
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:58:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

All of them will except the Gibbz.  They will require modifications to the bolt.  Depending on the upper those modifications could be as simple as a small notch to drilling and threading a hole for the charging handle.
View Quote

No problem with my Gibbz upper / CMMG bolt setup. You don't need to/can't use the cam pin they include.

----

EDIT - Before I tried it, I did contact Gibbz and here is what they said:

"Yes you can use 9mm bolt carriers in our upper. Since it doesn't use a cam pin it works fine as is.

Thanks,

David at GIBBZ ARMS."

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:48:36 AM EDT
[#3]
It looks like the Gibbz, X Products, Spartan, New Frontier Armory & WMA are all pretty much the same design with a few cosmetic differences.

I like this design but have concerns that the charging handle will not clear an MVB stock which is what I plan to use.  Has anyone run this combo before?

Jp Enterprises makes what I am sure is a quality side charging upper but the duel charging handles is probably overkill for my purposes and since I will be shooting it mostly suppressed I would prefer a tighter seal on the back of the upper to prevent gas face.

American Spirit Arms looks to be another option but it looks like a pretty heavy upper and requires modification to the bolt which is something I would prefer to avoid.

All of the other side charging uppers that I have seen have a channel cut in the upper and a handle directly attached to the bolt.  I do not think these are a great option for what I am looking for.

What else is out there?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I went with asa 9mm upper.  You can buy the upper with a bolt that's good to go or modify your own. All it is a small groove cut out for the charging handle to fit into.  It could be done with a drill press and the upper comes with a template to do it.  I had to modify mine anyways for the glock lower.  If you can't do it any machine shop should be able to do it for you. I've had no problems or issues with the upper.  The anti rotation tab on some free float tubes may need to be grided to fit the upper tho.

Random Google of a bolt with the cut out
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:30:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I went with asa 9mm upper.  You can buy the upper with a bolt that's good to go or modify your own. All it is a small groove cut out for the charging handle to fit into.  It could be done with a drill press and the upper comes with a template to do it.  I had to modify mine anyways for the glock lower.  If you can't do it any machine shop should be able to do it for you. I've had no problems or issues with the upper.  The anti rotation tab on some free float tubes may need to be grided to fit the upper tho.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a213/ausher/guns/MyCollage_3_zpskihkqt4k.png

Random Google of a bolt with the cut out
http://rs386.pbsrc.com/albums/oo310/TigerStripe/SidechargerBCG2.jpg~320x480
View Quote

Are you right handed?

Does the open slot on the left side cause allot of gas to be blown in front of your face when shooting?

I do like that the CH folds on the ASA upper.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:54:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes I shoot right handed.  I shot a variety of 9mm ammo and never had any blow back in my face, but I run a slash 9mm buffer and a heavy wolf buffer spring. I get more crap in my face from my glock 19.  I haven't shot any cheap steel case through it yet.

I'm thinking of making another charging handle for it to cover up the slot more.  Only about 2 inches is exposed when the bolt is all the way back. I think I could do it and it will still pull back far enough to chamber a round.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:19:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the gibbz g4 side charging upper on my 9mm sbr. Works great. No modification needed. They make them in right and left hand configurations.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:27:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have the gibbz g4 side charging upper on my 9mm sbr. Works great. No modification needed. They make them in right and left hand configurations.

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t481/blackbelt38/IMG_20150722_083809_zpsmkavbfmw.jpg

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t481/blackbelt38/IMG_20150729_151330_zpsqrqeunhi.jpg
View Quote

That is a nice looking stick.  It is the one that first got me thinking about a side charging upper.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It looks like the Gibbz, X Products, Spartan, New Frontier Armory & WMA are all pretty much the same design with a few cosmetic differences.

I like this design but have concerns that the charging handle will not clear an MVB stock which is what I plan to use.  Has anyone run this combo before?
View Quote

No issues there.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:01:38 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No issues there.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii307/Cramerica1/IMG_20150316_191850635_zpsmahfiesg.jpg

Damn.  It looks like you already built the rifle I have been planning.

Do you have any more pics of that bad boy you can share?

What length barrel and rail are you running?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No issues there.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii307/Cramerica1/IMG_20150316_191850635_zpsmahfiesg.jpg

Not mine.

HERE YOU GO
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top