Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2015 2:11:52 AM EDT
I have a uplula(sp?) and a Ruger magazine loader. Niether work.
What are you using besides your thumb???
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:21:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:21:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought this from Midway and it works great!

Maglula 9mm SMG Mag Loader
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:23:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. But how is that different than the one I have? Colt specific?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:47:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a uplula(sp?) and a Ruger magazine loader. Niether work.
What are you using besides your thumb???
View Quote

My thumb.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:58:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

There is a video at that link I provided.  It shows the loader for a .223/5.56 but it's the same operating principle.  You can see how it operates.  You cycle the lever on top of the loader for each round you load which pushes the previous round and follower down.  It's very effective and fast, and it makes loading a 32 rounder easy.  Unloading is holding the mag and loader so the opening points down.  Cycling the lever and gravity unloads the mag.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:19:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There is a video at that link I provided.  It shows the loader for a .223/5.56 but it's the same operating principle.  You can see how it operates.  You cycle the lever on top of the loader for each round you load which pushes the previous round and follower down.  It's very effective and fast, and it makes loading a 32 rounder easy.  Unloading is holding the mag and loader so the opening points down.  Cycling the lever and gravity unloads the mag.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, the one I have doesn't have a "lever" on top. Its more of a squeeze thingy...
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:32:59 AM EDT
[#7]
If asked for advice on an colt style AR 9mm purchase the first thing I'd tell you to buy is the colt SMG maglula

Have look at this video..http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=A2oqLR5RBeQ
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:12:34 AM EDT
[#8]
The Colt-specific Maglula latches onto the magazine catch cutout and the lever depresses one side of the ammo stack at a time so the rounds can be dropped in.  It's the cat's meow, you need one.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:14:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Lula
/thread
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:25:16 AM EDT
[#10]
You can't go wrong with the Maglula products. I have the UpLula and will definitely be picking up the Colt SMG Lula.  Best shooting accessories ever!  :)
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the Promag loader.   Works great for the money and loads 5 at a time.

You can also use the Uzi original loader.  

The Colt/Uzi magazine is different from the pistol mags as it is a two position feed.   Most pistols are single position.

Brownell's has a Colt marked loader for $6.99.

In a pinch, you can set a round on the bench and push the mag down over it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Lula. it saved my thumb from turning permanently
brown.....
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:43:23 PM EDT
[#13]
OK, the one I have doesn't have a "lever" on top. Its more of a squeeze thingy...
View Quote

You have the Uplula universal pistol mag loader, what you want is the Uplula Colt SMG which only works on the 9mm AR mags.
Money well spent, it's a nice design and seems to be well made.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:40:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I need to order a Lula. But the palm of my hand actually works well once I get past 20 rounds.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:45:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I need to order a Lula. But the palm of my hand actually works well once I get past 20 rounds.
View Quote

you will be in shock how easy the lula is, go ahead and plunk down the change to get it and report back to us
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:08:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I ordered a Colt style loader...
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:38:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I ordered a Colt style loader...
View Quote

wize choice!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:52:28 AM EDT
[#19]

Loading Device, Magazine, Model Mk1 Mod 0.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#20]
+1 Maglula.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#21]
The Maglula Colt SMG loader works better than a thumb, especially around rounds 28 and higher.  Yes, you can do it with your thumb, all the way to 32 rounds.  But...  You spend a LOT more time fighting with the magazine doing it that way, your thumb gets torn up sometimes, and the muscles that run your thumb will hate you.  The Maglula tool is well worth the cost...
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:57:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#23]
I got the Brownells Colt 9mm mags and loading with just my thumb is a breeze.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I just received the Midway mag loader by mail. It was not due until Monday. I opened the package, looked it over, popped it on a magazine.
I noticed right off the bat that it has a cut out to lock it on the mag. That is *REALLY* handy compared to my other mag loaders.
I could load mags blind folded. It would have went faster if I didn't stop to sip coffee every now and then. I loaded 4 magazines in a few minutes...

WELL WORTH THE MONEY !!!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:24:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I just received the Midway mag loader by mail. It was not due until Monday. I opened the package, looked it over, popped it on a magazine.
I noticed right off the bat that it has a cut out to lock it on the mag. That is *REALLY* handy compared to my other mag loaders.
I could load mags blind folded. It would have went faster if I didn't stop to sip coffee every now and then. I loaded 4 magazines in a few minutes...

WELL WORTH THE MONEY !!!
View Quote

Colt SMG Maglula purchased from Midway? I just looked and can't find a "midway mag loader"... My Colt SMG Maglula works great but if their is something better I'm all for getting one
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:28:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Colt SMG Maglula purchased from Midway? I just looked and can't find a "midway mag loader"... My Colt SMG Maglula works great but if their is something better I'm all for getting one
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WELL WORTH THE MONEY !!!

Yup. The Colt style from Midway linked above. Follow the conversation, sheesh...
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:48:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Sometimes, it's hard to follow the conversation when people chime in (without a quote) responding to something posted several days previously...

The catch that holds the Maglula Colt SMG loader on the magazine is fantastic.  It's secure enough that I had a little trouble figuring out how to get it off of the magazine the first time I tried it.  Maglula's loaders for AK and AR magazines do the same thing, which is why they're so effective.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:09:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yup. The Colt style from Midway linked above. Follow the conversation, sheesh...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just received the Midway mag loader by mail.

Colt SMG Maglula purchased from Midway?

Well to be fair it's a Maglula loader, not a Midway loader ... and mine came from Amazon, but it's still a Maglula

Glad you're happy with it .... we TOLD you so
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:02:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Well to be fair it's a Maglula loader, not a Midway loader ... and mine came from Amazon, but it's still a Maglula

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just received the Midway mag loader by mail.

Colt SMG Maglula purchased from Midway?

You missed the main point being that I can't follow a conversation my Ecop gear mag loader is fucking awesome btw
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:20:33 PM EDT
[#30]
I purchased a Promag Loader for $10 thinking "eh what the hell."

Pleasantly surprised at how it works. Kinda sweet loading 5 rounds at a time. Not sure how long it will last, but for $10 it's not bad at all.
Their magazines suck for sure, but this loader will definitely save me some time, and my thumbs.

https://promagindustries.com/magazine-loaders/387-colt-9mm-smg-usgi-magazine-loader.html

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while

Also noticed something odd. One of my magazines will only load to 31 rounds.

Out of curiosity am I better off just loading down to 30 rounds? I figure I'd be able to load without the bolt being held back.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:44:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Out of curiosity am I better off just loading down to 30 rounds? I figure I'd be able to load without the bolt being held back.
View Quote

Seems on both of my Colt style Franken 9mm AR's anything over a half full mag either 20rd or 32rd takes a good smack on the base to seat the mag when the bolt is closed. Your mileage may vary but I've just gotten use to fully loading mags and smacking the base FIRMLY if the bolt is closed in order to fully seat the mag. The only time I can seat a mag like I do on my 5.56 rifles(bolt open or closed) is when the bolt is locked open on the 9's...
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 9:50:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Just ordered mine from midway  28 bucks shipped with coupon code.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#33]
The maglula works well but the best I've found for my colt style (works with Uzi too) are the  cammenga loaders.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top