Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2015 10:44:56 AM EDT
Thinking of building a CMMG 22 upper with CMMG 22 barrel and their SS conversion kit. Anyone have this setup and want to give your opinions on it?

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:40:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Have it, love it.  100% reliable for me with any ammunition in semi auto

I use a Boonie Packer "Better-Mag" Redi-MagII adapter which lets me use SW M&P15-22 magazines and they activate the bolt hold-open feature on the last round.  I also have the forward assist adapter, so my forward assist is functional in 22.  I can't recommend it highly enough.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 2:41:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I will not repeat what Circuits said. But he said exactly what I would have..Good stuff.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 2:55:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the CMMG stainless bolt assembly in two different dedicated uppers and I have no problems at all. One upper also has the CMMG 16" barrel and the other has a higher end Clint Beyer barrel. Both work well. I just wanted the best accuracy I could get so I bought the Beyer barrel for shooting 100 yards. I also have the BetterMag adapter in one with the S&W 15/22 magazines. I'm pretty sure I'm going to switch the other rifle over to that set up too. It's incredibly reliable. Although I have the forward assist adapter in one rifle, it doesn't really get any use.  The rest of the set-up is so reliable that you don't need it. I think I paid about $15 for it so it's not a big deal if you want one.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:32:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the CMMG upper with the parkerized .22 bolt assembly, no problems highly recommend. Also use the boonie packer S&W mag adapter, works great, holds the bolt back on the last round every time. If you don't have one get a McFadden machine lightnen grip mag loader, it actually makes loading the mags fun.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:43:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Ran both 16" parked bolt and sbr setup with the Ss bolt. My favorite rifle 22s! Got rid of the 10/22, kept the model 60 which has been collecting dust for years (it has been shot so much over the years that I have changed all the springs TWICE). What I'm trying to say, if you enjoy the at platform....the cmmg 22 is a must!DO IT!
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 8:37:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I will add on. Yes, have those parts, also the Better Mag adapter and it is awesome. You will really like the set up.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 10:24:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Another reiteration of Circuit's statements. Best use of an SBR lower so far! Using a CMMG stainless bolt, CMMG 4.5" bbl, Bettermag adapter, S&W mags, 7" handguard and suppressor for one amazingly fun and reliable shooter.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 3:28:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another reiteration of Circuit's statements. Best use of an SBR lower so far! Using a CMMG stainless bolt, CMMG 4.5" bbl, Bettermag adapter, S&W mags, 7" handguard and suppressor for one amazingly fun and reliable shooter.
View Quote

I have this exact setup and is my most fun gun. Also 100% reliable with any ammo, suppressed and unsurpressed. I would recommend this setup to any and everyone looking for a fun shooter
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I have one of the first runs when they first came out, and I don't recall a single failure.  Very accurate as well.  No complaints.

I have the FA adapter, but took it out.  Haven't needed it, and it makes it easier to maintain.  I also have the BHOA deal, but never used it as it needs to be fitted or something.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#10]
On your build, am I correct that all that is needed is the barrel and bolt group kit, such as https://www.cmmginc.com/shop/barrel-and-bolt-group-kit-9-mc-22lr/?

On your build, what length barrel and handguard are you going with?  I've been thinking about the same build and am unsure of the barrel length that will extend outside of the upper receiver.  Am I correct that a 9" barrel will actually extend about 7.5"?
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 2:08:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

On your build, am I correct that all that is needed is the barrel and bolt group kit, such as https://www.cmmginc.com/shop/barrel-and-bolt-group-kit-9-mc-22lr/?

On your build, what length barrel and handguard are you going with?  I've been thinking about the same build and am unsure of the barrel length that will extend outside of the upper receiver.  Am I correct that a 9" barrel will actually extend about 7.5"?
View Quote
I bought the barrel and bolt group kit. It is my understanding that is all that is needed to build a dedicated upper. I got the 16" barrel with mine. I plan to ad a cheap rifle length FF quad rail or something like that with a flat top upper I have here. I am also thinking of getting the adapter so I can use S&W 15-22 mags. For sights I will probably use a cheap red dot from PA.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 5:45:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I use the PA micro red dot, works great. I didnt bother putting any BUIS.

Highly suggest the 15-22 mag adapter. Last round bold hold is nice.

I also use a pressure plug from taccom. I did not get the whole reliability kit because to date, when using cci, I have had no issues with my firing pin. Only have had a couple with the bulk pack stuff in the 2-3k rounds I have through it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 11:04:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Do not think about getting the better mag adapter and SW mags, just do it
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 11:56:49 PM EDT
[#14]
+1
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/22/2015 12:27:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 1:02:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have this exact setup and is my most fun gun. Also 100% reliable with any ammo, suppressed and unsurpressed. I would recommend this setup to any and everyone looking for a fun shooter
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much same here. Just went with the Taccom lightweight upper receiver for something a little different. Fun!

Use 15-22 mags in this as well.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#17]
and another vote for the cmmg upper with the boonie insert that uses the S&W mags..  just to easy
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 2:25:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a Taccom 8.5" barrel and it extends ~ .125 past the end of a 7" handguard.  I am running a CMMG stainless bolt with Taccom collar and it runs anything.  Even cycles subsonics.  I did have a round go off either out of battery or a slam fire the other day.  Blew the rim off the case.  It took a small chunk off the extractor.  Still functions fine, but I will be ordering a new one.

Link Posted: 6/23/2015 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I went to the trouble of finding a discontinued CMMG 6.5" barrel.  I plan on using a flash can and wanted it to just barely protrude from a 7" handguard.  With the 3.125" long flash can it should protrude out from under the hand guard about 3/4".  Was going to use the 7" Taccom barrel but they went OOS on me and I was able to find a 6.5".

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/676771_2nd_AR_build_underway___Dedicated_22LR_pistol_build_.html

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Have most of my parts. I did get the better-mag adapter too. Someone was selling one here on the EE and I snagged it. All I need now is to decide what handguard or rail to get and then buy some 15-22 mags.

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I bought the barrel and bolt group kit. It is my understanding that is all that is needed to build a dedicated upper. I got the 16" barrel with mine. I plan to ad a cheap rifle length FF quad rail or something like that with a flat top upper I have here. I am also thinking of getting the adapter so I can use S&W 15-22 mags. For sights I will probably use a cheap red dot from PA.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just in case you missed something.   If you purchased a Conversion Unit that is designed to work with a normal AR 15 barrel.   If you will be using it to work with a dedicated .22 barrel then you will also need a Barrel Collar assy.   That part of the conversion kit(chamber adapter) is removed to use on a dedicated barrel.  On a dedicated barrel the extension sticks further into the AR upper so you don't need the chamber adapter part of the conversion unit but you will need the Barrel Collar.   A separate purchase.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 8:18:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Mine:  top and bottom are cmmg .22 kits with chamber adapter. Middle is a dedicated .22lr upper with the  Boonie packer adapter.

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#23]
JoeBobs usually has great pricing on the SW mags. And he is a Veteran to boot, so even  a better reason to support him..
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:13:12 PM EDT
[#24]
i just answered this same question in another post but i first bought the convertor to have fun with but it just wasnt as accurate as i hoped so i bought a CMMG barrel to install on an upper i had and it is now a nail driving machine and i love it! i use Black Dog Machine mags and they work great.

dont even think about it, just get it and have some serious fun!!
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top