Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2015 1:53:11 AM EDT
Well this is going to be my first 9mm AR Build. I'm some what torn on what I want.

Would a 16" Carbine be worth it? I live in IL and getting an SBR is some what iffy here.
Pistols look fun, but I'm worried about some fud RO having a problem with me shouldering a buffer tube...

I was considering using the following parts.
Stuff I need to buy
An Anderson Slickside Upper $40 http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XANA3LWT&name=Anderson+Manufacturing+Lightweight+Sport+AR+Upper&groupid=587
Black Creek Precision EF9 Lower $189.00 http://blackcreekprecision.com/parts-accessories/lower-receivers/bcp-9mm-7075-t6-slim-cut-forged-lower-receiver.html
A JSE 16" Nitrided Barrel $125 http://www.jsesurplus.com/169mmnitride1x10str.aspx
I'm probably going to stick a thread protector on the barrel. Since a flash hider would only be aesthetic.
9mm Buffer $15-$20 Not sure which to get.
9mm BCG $150-$200 Not sure which to get. I need a ramped one, so CMMG is gtg?

Stuff I have from a prior build.
Blemished 15" Parallax Tactical Lightweight MLOK FFSSR - (picked it up last year for $100, they have blems for sale now on their facebook.) http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/parallax-tactical-ffssr-series-m-lok-1.html
Spike's Tactical Buffer Tube-
B5 Bravo SOPMOD
Magpul K2 Grip
Magpul Trigger Guard
Troy QD Sling Plate (Staked it once but should be service-able)
PSA LPK
Magpul MBUS
BCM Gunfighter Vertical Grip
BCM Gunfighter Charging handle.
Seekins Magazine Release Button

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 12:02:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in Illinois as well and am actually going through the SBR process for my 9mm build.  My local CLEO doesn't have any issues with SBRs so I shouldn't have any issues.  I am basing my build on a QC10 Colt lower and X-Product SCU upper.  I'm waiting for my lower to get engraved so I can get it Cerakoted and then the build can start.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 12:54:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm in Illinois as well and am actually going through the SBR process for my 9mm build.  My local CLEO doesn't have any issues with SBRs so I shouldn't have any issues.  I am basing my build on a QC10 Colt lower and X-Product SCU upper.  I'm waiting for my lower to get engraved so I can get it Cerakoted and then the build can start.  
View Quote

Lucky, I'm in SW Crook County. I do have homerule though, but I'm not counting on a CLEO to sign off in this neck of the woods.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Fingers crossed for ya.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 4:57:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Ended up ordering the lower on sale for $125. I didn't think the low profile magwell was worth an extra $65. Also ordered the upper.

$133 shipped.

$51 shipped.

Now I'm trying to decide on what barrel profile I want. M4 or Govt.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm kinda lost on what buffer to choose.

Colt seems cheapest, Spike's seem the most expensive.

What do you guys think?

Also can I use a carbine spring, or do I need to purchase a 9mm spring?
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The colt is a good starting point.....as the spikes can be too heavy for some 9mm with lighter bullets.......my main objection with the colt is that they can allow over travel of the bolt and be hard on bolt catches.....Running buffers for the new BB 45's now....it may have an application with 9mm with some modification...I usually pick the ammo I plan to run consistently and then tune the buffer weight to the ammo. Carbine spring is fine......
I avoid the M4 cut...unless you plan on mounting a grenade launcher on the carbine..........and if you cut it to spec....it thins the barrel  in that area a little much for my preference..........
I prefer a long free float with a 16 inch barrel for maximum sight radius..............
View Quote

Thanks for the advice.
I have a 15" MLOK Rail, But I'm considering EEing it and picking up a 13" Seekins 13 in keymod. BCMmakes some good accessories.

I'm half tempted to make the gun a mock dissy. We'll see how things go once I get everything together.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 11:20:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I just picked up one of these.

http://www.primaryarms.com/Seekins_Precision_P_A_KeyMod_12_Rail_p/sppakm12.htm

Can't beat it for 100 bucks! Also it comes in at only 10 oz. with barrel nut.

I'm still deciding on a pistol vs carbine build.
10 inch barrel w/ flash can. Vs 16" barrel with thread protector. I think I'll be going with the carbine, what is another 4 inches anyways. Let's me use a stock and vertical grip without the tax stamp/OAL.

My chances of an SBR are slim, and IL doesn't have silencers yet. So I figure a 16" barrel will atleast minimize the report on the 9mm since most if not all  of the powder will be burned.

So I purchased on of these for only $125
http://www.jsesurplus.com/169mmnitride1x10str.aspx

Cost so far-
Barrel $135 Shipped
Upper $50 Shipped
Lower $135 Shipped
Rail $110 Shipped.

$430 It kinda hurts when I add it all up!
The saving grace will be:
-Not needing a buffer tube, spring, stock, pistol grip, trigger guard, lpk, bcm charging handle and iron sights.

I still need
-magazines
-a bolt carrier group
-a buffer
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I changed my lower order to the slim line version. Seems like it will be worth $60 extra dollars. It uses the milspec bolt catch, and I hear the bolt catch hole is threaded.

I got a CMMG Bolt for $166 Shipped, and a Spike's 9mm Buffer for $50 Shipped.

Don't think I did too bad right?

Seekins rail came today, and doesn't look half bad. I can't wait for my barrel to come.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I changed my lower order to the slim line version. Seems like it will be worth $60 extra dollars. It uses the milspec bolt catch, and I hear the bolt catch hole is threaded.

Seekins rail came today, and doesn't look half bad. I can't wait for my barrel to come.
View Quote

Not that it matters at this point but where did you pick up the bolt for $166 shipped?
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not that it matters at this point but where did you pick up the bolt for $166 shipped?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bad it was $171ish.

CMMG Bolt

$166.58
promo code: facebook for $5 off.
$10 shipping.

Still a great price.

Aimsurplus has the spike's buffer for $50 free shipping. Made it a lot more bearable dropping that kind of money on a buffer.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 5:23:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My bad it was $171ish.

CMMG Bolt

$166.58
$10 shipping.

Still a great price.

Aimsurplus has the spike's buffer for $50 free shipping. Made it a lot more bearable dropping that kind of money on a buffer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bad it was $171ish.

CMMG Bolt

$166.58
$10 shipping.

Still a great price.

Yeah I picked up the spikes buffer from aim..... Not that I needed another reason to spend money with them but free shipping and I just got my bolt from fatboy tactical for $169 shipped with their free shipping for fathers day
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 5:27:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah I picked up the spikes buffer from aim..... Not that I needed another reason to spend money with them but free shipping and I just got my bolt from fatboy tactical for $169 shipped with their free shipping for fathers day
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bad it was $171ish.

CMMG Bolt

$166.58
$10 shipping.

Still a great price.

I wish I checked their site. Seems like a great price.

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 8:16:43 PM EDT
[#14]
The spikes buffer work well. I run it on my SBR lower with a mag block.

MAHA
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:00:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The spikes buffer work well. I run it on my SBR lower with a mag block.

MAHA
View Quote

Good to know.

Just purchased a few things to add a finishing touch to my build.

Seekins Precision Enhanced Bolt Catch - MIM
Strike Industries Enhanced Pivot / Takedown Pins - Black

I think I'm going to hold off on a QD end plate for now. My Stock and handguard already has QD Sockets. Mind as well run a 2 point sling for now.

Though I will probably pick up a Magpul QD Mount, Or Ikickhippies mount.

I wasn't counting on the dang BCG/Buffer to be so pricey.

I'm hoping she will be all built by next week.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:18:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like you're moving along in the parts accumulation.  Looking forward to seeing your final build.

I just found out my lower is all engraved and heading back home.  One major step done.  :)
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Life aint fair sometimes. My barrel was scheduled for delivery today by USPS. It's in the right town. But I got this on the tracking.

Undeliverable as Addressed

-Mailman never even came to the area.
-Never came down the street.

Jimmies are rustled, wonder if he just bailed early since it was so nice out. The only reason I didn't use UPS is because they don't do Saturday delivery normally.  Stuck waiting til monday either way now, I really wanted to build my upper today.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Well I finally finished my upper, minus the optic. I'll probably save up and grab an Eotech off the EE.

Not sure about the flashlight placement on this build. Maybe I'll look into a keymod scout mount.
I was debating on ordering a clamp on FSB. But let's be honest, that would be 1/6 of an Eotechs price. Would look sweet as a Dissy though.

I'm picking my upper lower (whoops brain fart) up tomorrow. But it will be delayed since USPS screwed up yet again with a LPK package.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 9:11:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Just want to go on the record that this was first built in a pistol configuration.

But now it's done, and is in a rifle configuration.

I have to say I'm glad I purchased some lighter weight parts. The buffer and bolt carrier group definitely add some weight. On the bright side it balances nicely, the front feels very light.

Also the strike industries take down pins were worth every penny. Installing the front detent/pin literally took 2 seconds, and did not need any tools, cards, or razor blades. Definitely buying a pair for my spare lower.

The threaded bolt catch hole and rear detent made another headache vanish. I used blue loctite for the bolt catch screw. Should be solid.

Also liking the Seekins bolt catch for the money as well.

I ordered a $20 barrel shroud for the heck of it. I doubt I'm going to use it much since it's really just tacticool. But it would give me a good idea of how it would look SBR'd and with a supressor(if they become legal.)

Definitely buying a PSA Kit for the next 9mm I build.

Also went with an IWC End Plate. Kinda neat I can have the stock collapsed with the QD swivel inserted.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 5:04:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Congratulations on the build.  It looks really nice.  Have you gotten it out to the range yet?
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 5:13:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Congratulations on the build.  It looks really nice.  Have you gotten it out to the range yet?
View Quote

Not yet, hopefully next weekend.  On the bright side mid-west sports is only a 10 minute drive(including traffic/construction). So it's not like I'll have to plan a whole day for it like I would at Article 2.

Will definitely give a range report. I'm hoping for the best as far as reliability.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 4:58:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Cool.  Looking forward to hearing how it goes.  My receivers are heading out Friday for coating so I'm hoping by the end of August I'll have my build 'finished'. :)
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Can't wait to see it.
off topic:
I just ordered a BCM Mod 3 pistol grip. The magpul K2 feels good, but completely ruins the aesthetics of my rifle. They look nice on SBR/Pistols though for some reason.

IMO I think it's just an ugly grip, just like the Stark

Sucks BCM has been out of stock of keymod covers for like a month now. Wondering if these would work, http://www.evike.com/products/51222/ lol yes I know it's airsoft crap. But honestly polymer covers, are polymer covers. I just wanted something in foliage that was actually in stock. I don't see a 9mm melting these things. Probably going to get flamed lol.

I have 2 routes to choose from.
Ordering a clamp on front sight. I'm considering the folding YHM. Any experience with those? I suppose my build would become a mock dissipator if I did that. I might order a cheap airsoft copy just for a mock up before I blow $80-100 on the sight.

Or I could have the barrel chopped, and have a smith vortex pinned on the barrel.

It would mainly be for aesthetics only.

Edit- Taking a gamble on the rail covers for $16 shipped. Hoping the color matches. I couldn't find any 3rd party vendors that sell BCM rail covers. Noveske was in stock, but I'd have to order 3 kits which would have ran about $40 shipped.

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:07:00 PM EDT
[#24]
What barrel did you go with? Did the thread protector come with it?
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What barrel did you go with? Did the thread protector come with it?
View Quote

JSE Surplus Barrel
YHM Thread Protector

The PRC Rail Covers seem decent, but I just got an email saying BCM covers will be in stock soon.
I'll probably save these covers for a 22lr build or something. They feel pretty rubbery and I'm not sure if they will hold up too well to heat.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 12:10:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Thank you, I am looking at either a TP or a FH on my 9mm build. I like the shortness of the 5.5 inch barrel i am going to go with. So i might just do a thread protector for now. Or may get one of YHM qd 9mm suppressor flash hiders.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 1:02:39 AM EDT
[#27]
debating on having it chopped to 14.5" and pinning a FH. Either way it's pure aesthetics.

For a 5.5" barrel a flash hider might be effective.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#28]
So have you gotten the new build out to the range yet?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sadly I haven't, it just took a back seat on my priority list. Had an alternator die + have to pay tuition. Need to sort those out before I stock up on ammo and hit the range.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:36:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Sadly I haven't, it just took a back seat on my priority list. Had an alternator die + have to pay tuition. Need to sort those out before I stock up on ammo and hit the range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dang, that sucks!  I'm still waiting for my receivers to come back from the 'painter'.  Hoping to have them today (Friday) or Saturday so I can get everything together before a trip next weekend.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Just an update. It shot great today.

100 rounds of federal value and 50 rounds of tula.

ASC magazines had no issues at all. I'm assuming my Black Creek Lower/Mossberg Barrel/CMMG Bolt Carrier like them.

Recoil was more than a 5.56 and it was louder than I anticipated.

I also think it was a mistake running her sopping wet. I had some blow back on my arm and face. Might have got hit in the cheek with hot oil as well, but its very minor.

The indoor range was only about 20 yards, but the irons were dead on after some minor windage adjustments (4 clicks)

I think I should be good to go/close to 50 yards if I use this chart and make needed adjustments.
http://web.archive.org/web/20080124071549/groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/9mmzero.msnw

Also I did make it a mock dissy
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:28:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Good to see you got out to the range for the first run.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top