Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2015 12:16:58 PM EDT
So I still have my upper from the first AR that I pieced together, a Delton with a chrome-lined M4 style 1-in-9 twist, which never sees any use anymore.

What I don't have is a .22LR upper for my SBR.

Any advice for a guy who's thinking of chopping that barrel to 10.5" and putting a CMMG .22 conversion kit in?  Purpose is purely for range fun.  Looking for reliable function and shooting at 50 yards or so; not expecting 1-2 MOA accuracy.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:59:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Did it years ago when no one was buying 20" bbls , it was a DTI too.. Cut to 7" and rethreaded. Works fine, hit what i aim at, within reason..
50 yd steel is not an issue. You'll enjoy shooting it, especially since there;s no outlay for another bbl.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:42:10 AM EDT
[#2]
In general a conversion kit in a 1/9 5.56 barrel will give you 2-3" at 50 yards.
Find the right barrel/ammo combination. Some get great results.
Plenty good enough for hitting steel.

Dave N
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like you'll be a happy camper. Putting your unused upper back into the mix will be a good thing. Accuracy won't be the greatest but it'll do ok for what your looking for...

Dave S
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:03:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks to you all!
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:22:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In general a conversion kit in a 1/9 5.56 barrel will give you 2-3" at 50 yards.

Dave N
View Quote

Not in my experience. I have an older DPMS kit. No way I'm getting 2-3" at 50 yards. More like 12".
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:48:51 PM EDT
[#6]
OP I think you're doing what most people do with their spare barrels.   At least those who choose to go the .22 conversion route.  Perfect use for a 1:9 twist.    I did it with an old Bushmaster 1:9 barrel.    I wasn't satisfied with the accuracy so ended up switching my barrel for a dedicated  1:16 .22 barrel.   The accuracy wasn't really bad I just desired a little better.    For plinking, shooting steel and training....it should be fine.

Pay attention to the magazine choices.   Also consider whether you want a bolt hold back function and forward assist to work like a normal AR.

My one piece of advice is go with a Stainless Steel conversion unit.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:15:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OP I think you're doing what most people do with their spare barrels.   At least those who choose to go the .22 conversion route.  Perfect use for a 1:9 twist.    I did it with an old Bushmaster 1:9 barrel.    I wasn't satisfied with the accuracy so ended up switching my barrel for a dedicated  1:16 .22 barrel.   The accuracy wasn't really bad I just desired a little better.    For plinking, shooting steel and training....it should be fine.

Pay attention to the magazine choices.   Also consider whether you want a bolt hold back function and forward assist to work like a normal AR.

My one piece of advice is go with a Stainless Steel conversion unit.
View Quote

Stainless looked like the wiser choice to me; thanks.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:21:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not in my experience. I have an older DPMS kit. No way I'm getting 2-3" at 50 yards. More like 12".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dave N

Check the crown, outside of ammo choices it's one of the main culprits when accuracy suffers. Or it's the shooter.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:06:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Hm.  My old plain-Jane Armalite 1/9 barrel with the CMMG conversion will stay on a 2" plate better than 90% at 48 yards (our range!) for the Missus from prone, which is what our local biathalon will be asking her to do.
That, with a $40 red dot and the original, crunchy 32-pound trigger.  Well, that's what it feels like to me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I have 2 CMMG stainless conversion bolts in 2 different rifles.  Both are used with dedicated barrels but the only difference is the adapter versus the collar for the dedicated barrel.  As for the magazines, a Better Mag Adapter and a few S&W 15-22  mags are the ONLY way to go.
You can add a $20 forward assist piece in the bolt to allow for a functioning FA on your rifle. One of mine has it and one doesn't. It just slides in and out so no big deal if you want to add it later or remove it.

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 8:32:33 AM EDT
[#11]
With a 1 in 9 twist I would try the 60 gr SS load.   The barrel they sell for the Ruger 10/22 and that ammo is also 1 in 9.   The bore is a bit oversized with the AR barrel but the bullet has a longer surface and may take the rifling better.

When I was in training for the ILANG, we used a conversion unit for our 1 in 12 twist M16 barrels.   I could get around a 4 inch group at 100 yards with that setup.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top