Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2015 10:01:09 PM EDT
Picked up a Ultra Compact kit from the LWRC booth at the NRA Annual Meeting today.  

So what buffer are folks using with a 5 to 5.5 inch 9mm barrel?

Thanks,

Mark

UPDATE - - - See my post below where I have success with a COLT 9mm buffer!
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 10:29:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Good info here:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_15/666528_9mm_with_LWRC_UCIW_Ultra_Compact_stock_.html

Seems like you can cut down the "bumper" from a carbine buffer and it will be the same height as the Heavy Buffer(Slash) U9 9mm buffer.  Weight will be different but height will be the same.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 10:46:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Slash's makes a specific 9mm buffer for the Ultra Compact Stock   I've got one and it works great.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 10:57:57 PM EDT
[#3]
You're right a lot of good info in that thread.

Thanks!

Mark
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#4]
This Worked for Me.

Colt 9mm Buffer with cut-down bumper along with a Wolff Extra Power Carbine Buffer Spring.

Here is a pic that beanfield33 posted in the above linked thread.  Using my Redneck Engineering Calibration Device (MK-1 eyeball) I trimmed the bumper at the redline in the pic.

The UCIW was installed on a Black Creek Precision EF9 - Reduced Mag Well Dedicated 9mm lower.  BCP uses a bolt catch lifter design that allows the use of a standard lower parts kit bolt catch that does away with the dedicated extended arm 9mm bolt catch.  The upper is an Aero Precision no forward assist with a 16 inch barrel installed.  I used both a CMMG & MAS bolt to test compatibility.

I ran a little over 100 rounds of Federal, Perfecta, and WWB 115g FMJ through the gun loading ASC & Metalform mags with singles, doubles, and full 32 rounds.  I fired singles, controlled pairs and rapid 4-6 round shots.

Not a single issue.  

The BHO worked every time and I had no blast in my face.  I felt no bolt bounce.  After firing an inspection of the buffer bumper showed no signs of contact or any other unusual wear on the firearm.

For those looking for a lower cost set-up using the UCIW, this Colt buffer/Wolff HP combination might work.  My only specific stipulation would be that I cannot measure what the affect of the BCP's bolt catch lifter had in the 100% BHO function.

Mark

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This Worked for Me.

Colt 9mm Buffer with cut-down bumper along with a Wolff Extra Power Carbine Buffer Spring.

Here is a pic that beanfield33 posted in the above linked thread.  Using my Redneck Engineering Calibration Device (MK-1 eyeball) I trimmed the bumper at the redline in the pic.

http://i57.tinypic.com/xc18b7.jpg

The UCIW was installed on a Black Creek Precision EF9 - Reduced Mag Well Dedicated 9mm lower.  BCP uses a bolt catch lifter design that allows the use of a standard lower parts kit bolt catch that does away with the dedicated extended arm 9mm bolt catch.  The upper is an Aero Precision no forward assist with a 16 inch barrel installed.  I used both a CMMG & MAS bolt to test compatibility.

I ran a little over 100 rounds of Federal, Perfecta, and WWB 115g FMJ through the gun loading ASC & Metalform mags with singles, doubles, and full 32 rounds.  I fired singles, controlled pairs and rapid 4-6 round shots.

Not a single issue.  

The BHO worked every time and I had no blast in my face.  I felt no bolt bounce.  After firing an inspection of the buffer bumper showed no signs of contact or any other unusual wear on the firearm.

For those looking for a lower cost set-up using the UCIW, this Colt buffer/Wolff HP combination might work.  My only specific stipulation would be that I cannot measure what the affect of the BCP's bolt catch lifter had in the 100% BHO function.

Mark

View Quote

What's your overall buffer length and weight now? I'm thinking of just cutting the bumper on a standard H3 buffer and trying that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What's your overall buffer length and weight now? I'm thinking of just cutting the bumper on a standard H3 buffer and trying that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This Worked for Me.

Not a single issue.  

Mark

Carbine buffers are 3.25" so my guess is he cut down to approximately 3/3.05" to match UC buffer length. Weight is prob 5.5 oz per Colt 9mm buffer specs. Nice work.

Does anybody know what the heaviest carbine buffer is? I have the U9 at 8.5 oz but I'd like even heavier if possible for suppressed used. The "Q" or extended 9mm buffers are too long with UCIW stock.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:10:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Carbine buffers are 3.25" so my guess is he cut down to approximately 3/3.05" to match UC buffer length. Weight is prob 5.5 oz per Colt 9mm buffer specs. Nice work.

Does anybody know what the heaviest carbine buffer is? I have the U9 at 8.5 oz but I'd like even heavier if possible for suppressed used. The "Q" or extended 9mm buffers are too long with UCIW stock.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This Worked for Me.

Not a single issue.  

Mark

The Heavybuffers.com one is 8.5oz and is only $150 with the spring   if you buy the xtra heavy carbine buffer it's only $140 with the spring and you can just cut the plastic tip yourself.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:46:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I was thinking a standard 9mm buffer would probably work with a little trimming. Nice work.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:58:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted: What's your overall buffer length and weight now? I'm thinking of just cutting the bumper on a standard H3 buffer and trying that.
View Quote

On my scale the Colt buffer came in at 5.4oz After cutting the bumper down.  Its about 3.10 in length.

The bolt just clears the BHO with the XP spring.  A regular carbine spring was test fitted and it did give more clearance for the BHO to engage the bolt as did the UCIW flat wire spring.

I started with the XP spring and had planned to swap out with the other springs, but the gun ran so well with XP spring that I didn't feel the need to do that.  

I used the Colt buffer because I had a spare one.  Otherwise a H3 should work just as well since its 5.4oz.

Again, I want to point out that the BCP lower uses a bolt catch lifter.  I don't know if this same buffer/spring combination would work with a different dedicated 9mm lower or one using an insert.  

Mark

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top