Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2015 10:11:10 PM EDT
I have had a CMMG India stainless .22LR conversion bolt for a while and I have tried it a few times using my Colt 6920 with 1:7 twist barrel. The accuracy out to about 20 feet was acceptable but anything beyond that was getting to be a bit much. I went to the range the other day and was testing the accuracy at about 50 yards and I was grouping anywhere from 8-12 inches!!! I would be better off with a sling shot! I understand that people have had good luck accuracy wise with 1:9 barrels but the two rifles I have are both 1:7. So I made up my mind that I was going to have a dedicated .22LR upper. I shopped around for uppers and most of them were over $500! I decided to go ahead and assemble my own as I bought the parts, budget permitting. I was going to use parts that were reasonable for the project at hand so none of the stuff is top tier. This is what I came up with:

Barrel – TACCOM 16" M4 Barrel W/Collar 1:16 twist $104.95 (TACCOM)
12" Inch Full Length Free Float Quad Rail Rifle Hand guard $39.05 (E-Bay)
Anderson Manufacturing Stripped A3 Upper Receiver and Upper Receiver Parts Kit - $57.98 (Primary Arms)
A2 Fash Hider - $8.00 (Bravo Co.)
CMMG stainless steel .22LR conversion bolt (already had)

Black Gen 2 Magpul PTS MBUS Polymer Front and Rear Folding Sight Set (AR Airsoft) $20.98 (E-Bay)
UTG LE Rated Double Rail/3 Slot Angle Mount with Integral QD Lever Lock System $25.15 (Amazon)
Bushnell Trophy Red Dot TRS-25 3 MOA Red Dot Reticle Rifle scope, 1x25mm (Matte) $52.99 (Amazon)

I know that some of the stuff in not brand name top tier components but I am very pleased with how it turned out and it shoots great!

http://s1057.photobucket.com/user/jeffreykujawa/media/22dedicatedupper_zps90b9fe90.jpg.html

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:34:42 PM EDT
[#1]
You are pointing to a picture that doesn't exist, apparently.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:02:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are pointing to a picture that doesn't exist, apparently.
View Quote

Nah, he just doesn't know how to link images, apparently.

" />
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:15:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Your still at $300+ with what you have not including the CMMG stainless bolt which you didn't say what you payed for($100+?)
It looks good from here,
I would have spent a little more on better iron sights but it looks like you got what you want and that is all that matters.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:21:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I appreciate you posting the picture for me. Not used to posting pictures the way this site requires. Just wanted something a bit less expensive to shoot that mimics what I keep in my trunk for the exciting calls. It's really my first assembly of a rifle from all the individual parts. This can be rather addicting!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:52:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This can be rather addicting!
View Quote

You have to amortize the cost of the tools over at least several builds.  [Okay, I know you could sell the tools as used, but where's the fun in that?]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:40:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks good!
You never know what kind of accuracy you will get from a conversion/556 barrel combo.
When .22 ammo was cheap, it was easy to buy several different brands to see what worked best.
Not so easy now.
I generally got 2-3" at 50 with a 1/9/conversion combo with Fed bulk.
I have a 7.5" 1/8 Rainier Ultra Match that will keep rounds in 3/4" at 25

Dave N
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Stay clear of Winchester bulk.  Fed, CCI, and Remington bulk run fine in all my conversions but Win is inconsistent.  I'm talking about function not accuracy.  I only use dedicated barrels and have no accuracy problems.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:10:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I was was working in Iraq when "Numbnuts" got re-elected so I decided to buy 10,000 rounds of Federal Champion .22LR just in case there was a run on .22 ammo. I'm glad that I did, otherwise I wouldn't have any .22 right now. I still have a little over half of it left and all my .22s eat the stuff without a problem. I did  give away a few boxes to friends in need though. As far as bulk ammo goes it seems to be pretty good stuff. Once the .22 ammo becomes available again I'm going to try some accuracy tests to see what brands give the best results.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 10:02:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm wanting to do the same dedicated 22 thing myself. Where would one get mgazines for this dedicated 22?  How does the 22 bolt interact with the buffer? TIA

Bob D
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top