Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2014 8:07:53 PM EDT
I just got my 9mm rifle kit SKU # 504366

NON ramped bolt carrier group. I am kinda pissed that they sell a "kit" but supply a non ramped bcg and a REGULAR Hammer.....and call it a kit.

PSA 9mm kit does NOT have a ramped bcg!

So, i am unable to use the kit until i buy a hammer.

never mind....i am returning it.  i wonder how long i am gonna have to wait to get my $$$$back?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:06:46 PM EDT
[#1]
What lower are you inserting it in? As someone who has made a magwell adapter or two........the inconsistencies of magwells is enough to make a preacher cuss like a drunk sailor or a pissed off Sergeant Major. I finally gave up and use a Tactical Machining lower as my standard......the gauge blocks, go and no-go work as it should......

As far as the adaptor I'll bet it is binding on the radius up front.....a little judicious sanding and it should fit no problem.......if you are near Macon Georgia.....drop by the shop and I'll be glad to help you out.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:02:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What lower are you inserting it in? As someone who has made a magwell adapter or two........the inconsistencies of magwells is enough to make a preacher cuss like a drunk sailor or a pissed off Sergeant Major. I finally gave up and use a Tactical Machining lower as my standard......the gauge blocks, go and no-go work as it should......

As far as the adaptor I'll bet it is binding on the radius up front.....a little judicious sanding and it should fit no problem.......if you are near Macon Georgia.....drop by the shop and I'll be glad to help you out.
View Quote

Make sure your attempting to install it correctly too. A friend was flumixed trying to get a Hahn block in from the bottom, brought it over to show me. I separated the upper and lower, removed the bolt catch, and dropped it in from the top. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:15:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Good point...the adaptor in the PSA kit IS a top load......
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:27:34 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks.

aero-precision lower.

from the top.....:)

yes,  it looks like i need to remove some material from the front of the insert.....i just was not expecting to have to modify it.....kinda like getting a quad rail you gotta modify to fit it.....or a CH.....etc etc.

anyone use the supplied hammer with the non ramped bolt?

thanks
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
thanks.

aero-precision lower.

from the top.....:)

yes,  it looks like i need to remove some material from the front of the insert.....i just was not expecting to have to modify it.....kinda like getting a quad rail you gotta modify to fit it.....or a CH.....etc etc.

anyone use the supplied hammer with the non ramped bolt?

thanks
View Quote

A standard hammer "will work" with an unramped bolt, but it's not ideal.  It's certainly not a reason to return the whole kit, since it will work.  Are you sure it's not ramped at all, rather than "less ramped" than you were expecting?  Can you post a picture of the bolt you got?

Edit: I found Mad Machinist's post in the other PSA 9mm kit thread - they aren't ramped.  Way back when, ADCO charged me a very reasonable $50 to ramp my RRA bolt.  Mad Machinist does that work too - you could ask how much he'd charge to ramp your bolt.  Even if it's more than $50, with the price of that kit, it's still going to be a great deal overall.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:49:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info.

I broke down and just bought the RRA hammer for the non-ramp bowl. It was cheaper to get the hammer that was the return to pack.

I'm just pissed off that PSA would sell a substandard kit.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:15:40 PM EDT
[#7]
The non ramped bolt allows you to use a S3G trigger or similar. They don't reset with a ramped bolt.
Mine is ramped but I've thought about buying a non ramped bolt just to run with the s3g
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info.

I broke down and just bought the RRA hammer for the non-ramp bowl. It was cheaper to get the hammer that was the return to pack.

View Quote

I'm not trying to be confrontational, but "not what you expected" isn't "substandard."  From all reports, the parts in that kit are of high quality.  It's just that you had expected to get "matching" hammer and bolt, and that didn't happen.  

I would definitely contact PSA about this; a whole lot of people will be wondering if they got parts that can't work together just because of this issue.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:31:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm not trying to be confrontational, but "not what you expected" isn't "substandard."  From all reports, the parts in that kit are of high quality.  It's just that you had expected to get "matching" hammer and bolt, and that didn't happen.  

I would definitely contact PSA about this; a whole lot of people will be wondering if they got parts that can't work together just because of this issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the info.

I have put thousands of rounds through this 9mm, and it has a Hahn top loader and a dpms style hammer.  

Edited to say: It also has an unramped bolt.  

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:26:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I have had Spike's Tactical and ASA blocks that wouldn't fit in some of my lowers without a few good thumps with a mallet. The lowers were from the same manufacturer, just made years apart.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Put some KNS pins on your lower, It worked wonderful with my NFA REG Sendra.
Thousands of rounds and no egged pin holes.

And that was with a standard Colt M16 hammer, and an unramped bolt.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Put some KNS pins on your lower, It worked wonderful with my NFA REG Sendra.
Thousands of rounds and no egged pin holes.

And that was with a standard Colt M16 hammer, and an unramped bolt.
View Quote

That's great to hear.  I'm less worried about egging holes in my SBR than breaking pins.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#13]
You betcha

P.S. my Daughter is an AMN.
Honor flight / Beast excellence.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 6:21:00 PM EDT
[#14]
IMy PSA kit arrived on Christmas Eve (thanks PSA people who gave up family time to ship it!) and I'll be checking it out this week.
Lots of interesting posts on this subject but I was encouraged by the gunsmithing and other expertise that is helpfully offered; this made me think that with forum members' help, any issues could be solved.

These observations so far:
1) there were NO instructions included like advertised (a non problem I think)
2) the chamber isn't chamfered very much at all.  I guess I was expecting a feed ramp like a M1911 pistol barrel.
3) The bolt underside was NOT ramped, as has been reported by others recently.
4) PSA magazines (32 rd ordered separately) fit nicely side-to-side but have a little bit of fore-and-aft looseness that probably won't matter (just reporting).  Mags appear to be of very nice quality.
5) the Upper Ass'y fit nicely with the lower receivers I have, with perfect match top and bottom.

Planning to get some dummy rounds to see how the round feed looks.
Will start assembly and post pictures as requested earlier.
Thanks guys!
Dave
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 8:31:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Had a couple of hours to test fit some of the PSA 9mm assemblies.
The magazine wouldn't catch because the slot for the mag catch is too low.  This was experienced in another post.

With the magazine seated, the mag catch slot doesn't line up with the adapter slot by about 1 mm (as mentioned in previous post).  The front of the magazine butts up to the underside of the adapter feed ramp, establishing how high the magazine can be.

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You betcha

View Quote

What is an AMN?
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 9:47:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What is an AMN?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You betcha

What is an AMN?

Airman.  Enlisted Air Force.  In other words, "hero."

Aim High, OTTOSEAR.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Had a couple of hours to test fit some of the PSA 9mm assemblies.

The magazine wouldn't catch because the slot for the mag catch is too low.  This was experienced in another post.

With the magazine seated, the mag catch slot doesn't line up with the adapter slot by about 1 mm (as mentioned in previous post).  The front of the magazine butts up to the underside of the adapter feed ramp, establishing how high the magazine can be.

View Quote

Thanks for posting this info.  

Does anyone sell a reliable 9mm kit for around $600?  If not, I'll just wait until PSA gets their act together on these kits.  

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 4:50:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I got one of PSA's 9mm pre-Christmas deals and it is currently mailed back to be fixed. I'd suggest holding off and seeing if PSA gets the bugs sorted out of theirs before I bought something. IF they sort it out... should be a good deal. I will be posting up my results once I get mine back. I have no ties to the company and plan to post up my real world results whether they are good or bad.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 12:32:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I got one of the PSA pistol kits and built it on a Anderson MFG multi-caliber lower.  The mag adapter was a snug fit (had to tap it in with a rawhide hammer) but mags drop free.  Overall I'm pleased with the kit.  Ran fine with the PSA mag.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:33:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I got one of the PSA pistol kits and built it on a Anderson MFG multi-caliber lower.  The mag adapter was a snug fit (had to tap it in with a rawhide hammer) but mags drop free.  Overall I'm pleased with the kit.  Ran fine with the PSA mag.
View Quote

Did your magazine mag catch slot line up with the slots in the receiver and mag adapter?  My mag adapter and receiver lined up but the magazine was seated too low and didn't line up with the mag catch slots.  I'm hoping to post pictures of this pretty soon (after some other fires are put out...).
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 11:04:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Just built one of these last night, best to start with a stripped lower as you have to top load the magwell block into it, and that is best done without the bolt catch installed. Had no problems with my magwell block and mag catch lining up, however i think a larger nub on the mag release would give a more reassuring mag lock in. I have a 9mm hammer on order from a place called riflegear, hoping it gets here soon. I test fires 10rds out of two c products mags, no problems at all and its the most fun AR ive ever shot. no recoil awesomeness and i even think the slick side upper is growing on me.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:53:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I started with a new stripped lower and didn't have any issues with the mag release.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:25:38 PM EDT
[#24]
i had issue with the mags catching it was either take a lil off all the mags or take a lil off the mag catch i took  a lil off the mag catch they lock good, i may pull the mag catch and take it to my works shop and having mechanic put a couple tack welds on it and shapping it to catch more of the mag. i did put 4 rounds through it haha
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:31:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Just got back from the range and shot 100 rounds through my PSA 9mm kit. I assembled it w/ a Delaware Machinery Lower I got for $45 through a local gunshop. Had no issues whatsoever and it fired on every shot (Blazer Brass and Remington UMC).

However, I did install the RRA 9mm hammer (bought when Riflegear.com had a freeshipping sale - $20 to my door). At first, I had issues w/ the magazines (from PSA) locking in and I modified one about 1/32th higher and that worked. Then I came across this thread: <http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_301/259774_AR_9_Reviews___Range_Reports_.html> and was advised to 'stretch' the mag-block to the side walls. That fixed my issue of the non-modified magazines locking-in but I still don't have free-dropping magazines.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:15:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just built one of these last night, best to start with a stripped lower as you have to top load the magwell block into it, and that is best done without the bolt catch installed. Had no problems with my magwell block and mag catch lining up, however i think a larger nub on the mag release would give a more reassuring mag lock in. I have a 9mm hammer on order from a place called riflegear, hoping it gets here soon. I test fires 10rds out of two c products mags, no problems at all and its the most fun AR ive ever shot. no recoil awesomeness and i even think the slick side upper is growing on me.
View Quote

I'm wondering if the Magwell blocks are being machined with a wide tolerance in the placement of the two holes that attach the feed ramp
**What make of magazine are you using? **
I'm using the PSA-marked Metalform magazines.  If your magazines are the same and they fit fine, it must be the Magwell block.

BTW, I emailed PSA Customer Service last week describing my mag catch problem.  I requested that they try one of their PSA-marked Metalform magazines in a few mag adapter blocks and send me one that lines up.  Will post their reply when it comes.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:34:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Got some really fantastic customer service from Palmetto State Armory!
We determined that the issue with the magazine slot not lining up with the slots in the mag adapter/lower receiver was in the mag adapter.
They sent me a RMA with prepaid shipping and turned around a replacement in only a few days.

I've completed the rifle assembly and hope to test fire it this week.  Will post the results after trying it out.
Thanks, PSA!
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top