Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2014 11:12:10 PM EDT
I have a couple of AR's in .223 but looking into a 9mm or .45 AR. I know NOTHING about conversions/modifications I would have to make. What is the best way to put one together or  should I buy a dedicated pistol cartridge AR. Is it possible to buy a 9mm or .45 upper and put it on my .223 lower? Please forgive my ignorance.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:59:02 PM EDT
[#1]
yes......you can run a .45 conversion  or a 9mm on a standard lower.....here is the 45 kit

and here it is installed

This is a DI upper/conversion that uses HK USC magazines.....
I can also help you with blowback conversions in 9mm and 40 S&W........ [email protected]
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:10:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not one to swap back forth so I got a dedicated CMMG lower and JSE surplus upper. Runs 100% with ASC, metalform and Colt mags.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:56:28 AM EDT
[#3]
How much does this cost? I don't want to break the bank but want something reliable. The more I learn about these the more I like,
Thanks VERY much for the info!!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:36:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Luckily you have several different paths to take for a Pistol Caliber AR. You can buy a complete factory rifle. You can buy just the upper and then use a conversion magwell adapter on your 5.56 standard lower or you can buy something like a Just Right Carbine for around $700, a complete rifle ready to go.

Which path is best depends on several factors. I have tried all of the above so I have my own opinion based on what worked out for me. YMMV
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:27:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Well do you know which one you want to go with, 9mm or 45? You're gonna be somewhat limited in choices for 45, there's only a couple of guys building them, Mad Machinist being one.  There are a lot more options out there for 9mm.  As far as lowers go, you can buy a dedicated 9mm lower or use a regular AR lower and use a mag block to accept 9mm mags.  There are a lot off the shelf uppers out there or you can build your own.  That's what I did, I used a DDLES (now QC10)) lower and Sun Devil slick side upper to get rid of the forward assist and brass deflector which are both unnecessary on a 9mm AR.  I got a 4.5" barrel from ADCO and JP BCG and silent capture spring.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:05:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Ron Williams make one that could be used with the standard lower or his lower that's set up
for Grease Gun Magazines. He also makes a 9mm.

Cut and Paste to the Address Bar:

http://www.rmwxtreme.com/

Dave
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:54:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks all, very much. I think 9mm is the way to go. I need to start saving my pennies.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#8]
The pistol calibers work really well as short barrel rifles.  If building or buying one, there's the BATF requirements, paperwork, wait time and stamp tax ($200) to consider.  Also, SBRs are not allowed in some states.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:47:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The pistol calibers work really well as short barrel rifles.  If building or buying one, there's the BATF requirements, paperwork, wait time and stamp tax ($200) to consider.  Also, SBRs are not allowed in some states.
View Quote

These are all great points.    Another is that one requires permission when traveling outside one's state with one's SBR.  Pistols and suppressors do not.   Also some states do not allow loaded rifles (including SBR's) in vehicle cabins.

For these reasons, the Sig Brace has become extremely popular.   The restrictions are ....  it's a pistol, though it handles like an SBR.  

7" AR15 in 9mm & 8.5" AR15 in 300 AAC Blackout

SilencerCo Octane 45 HD on 7" AR15 in 9mm  &  SilencerCo Saker 762 on  8.5" AR15 in 300 AAC Blackout

Colt AR15 9mm

NOTE : Never mount an optic on a fore rail / quad rail.      Yes, it has worked out extremely well over the years.  But, for the record, everyone will tell you,   "Never mount an optic on a fore rail / quad rail".

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:02:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Palmetto Armory is offering a 9 mm rifle kit for $599.  Of course, when I looked at it this morning it was temporarily out of stock.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/18428/s/psa-16-9mm-melonite-1-10-rifle-kit/
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:49:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice guns! I just don't have the money for a SBR, but yours look great.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#12]
If you are referring to mine, mine are actually pistols with the Sig brace.   They are not SBRs.    They can be shot like SBRs.   There are no restrictions on them like there are on SBRs and carrying loaded rifles.    There are no wait times to build one.    
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:17:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
These are all great points.    Another is that one requires permission when traveling outside one's state with one's SBR.  Pistols and suppressors do not.   Also some states do not allow loaded rifles (including SBR's) in vehicle cabins.

For these reasons, the Sig Brace has become extremely popular.   The restrictions are ....  it's a pistol, though it handles like an SBR.  

View Quote

That's why I kept my Sig brace and KAK buffer tube after my Form 1 was approved, so I can swap them back out if I want to take it out of state.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top