User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2014 9:53:08 AM EDT
Before I would get in line for a 10 month wait for AA's .17HMR I would sign up
for one of these:

http://www.varminter.com/franklin-armory-f17-l-review-and-hunt-report/

The Franklin is more powerful, more accurate over a longer range, has a last round
bolt hold open and the bolt can be locked open like any centerfire AR. The locking lug
bolt is safer than the blow back design and offers greater peace of mind.

Prices of the two, AA and Franklin, are in the ball park. Now all you need is ammo.

Ted
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:29:19 AM EDT
[#1]
After taking a friend's Savage 17 HMR to Wyoming this summer I came home and bought my own Savage.   I have friends who have had 17 HMR's for years but I really didn't want to stock another caliber of ammo.  The 17 HMR really does a number on critters and for me fills a void for those areas where Centerfire rifle is to much but the 17 HMR is so much more effective than 22 LR.  I'd really like to shoot the Franklin Armory 17 gas operated rifle.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After taking a friend's Savage 17 HMR to Wyoming this summer I came home and bought my own Savage.   I have friends who have had 17 HMR's for years but I really didn't want to stock another caliber of ammo.  The 17 HMR really does a number on critters and for me fills a void for those areas where Centerfire rifle is to much but the 17 HMR is so much more effective than 22 LR.  I'd really like to shoot the Franklin Armory 17 gas operated rifle.
View Quote

The commonality of ammo is a very valid point, one I share.  I own, but rarely shoot, My Savage Cabela's Special
TRR-SR in .17HMR.  While it is very accurate at 100 to 150 yards it is nevertheless a bolt action gun - which I
have many of in my safe. I prefer full-functioning AR15 platform rifles over bolt guns.

The Franklin interests me but do I really need another hard to find caliber? Now if I DIDN'T have a .17HMR
I would be all over the F17L!

I posted the article, not to run down the AA, but to let the forum know that technology is moving
forward and it has brought us another high power rimfire AR option.

Ted
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

for one of these:
The Franklin is more powerful, more accurate over a longer range, has a last round

bolt hold open and the bolt can be locked open like any centerfire AR.
The locking lug

Prices of the two, AA and Franklin, are in the ball park. Now all you need is ammo.
Ted
View Quote

The part in bold is actually not correct. The bolt does not lock back after the last round is fired with the F17-L. The only way to lock the BCG back is to have an empty mag, and pull the charging handle to the rear. The bolt release is not functional with the F17-L upper attached.

I'm not sure about the AA model, since I've never handled one.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The part in bold is actually not correct. The bolt does not lock back after the last round is fired with the F17-L. The only way to lock the BCG back is to have an empty mag, and pull the charging handle to the rear. The bolt release is not functional with the F17-L upper attached.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
for one of these:

The locking lug

Ted

I stand corrected, thank you.  I was told by a dealer that it was fully AR functional, and not
having it in hand I spoke in error.  Thank you, Muad.

Ted
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I stand corrected, thank you.  I was told by a dealer that it was fully AR functional, and not

Ted

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

for one of these:

The locking lug

Ted

Ted

No worries Ted.

On a side note, the F17-L is awesome. I really enjoyed using it while we were in AZ.

-Will

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:26:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Now if the 17 WSM ammo would be more readily available it might not go the way the 5 MM rimfire did.  I see the 17 WSM as a rimfire 17 Hornet for those that don't want to reload or want the expense of the 17 Hornet.  Accuracy reports on the Savage SS heavy barrel that I have read have been positive.  If CZ and Ruger introduced  a rimfire 17 WSM this cartridge might survive.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top