Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2014 10:27:46 PM EDT
Having some troubles with my 9mm.

-Bolt does not lock back when empty

-cannot insert mag on closed bolt, even with only 5 rounds in

-with empty mag inserted, racking CH does not lock the bolt back

-very easy to "release" the bolt accidentally.

Using ddles colt pattern lower

Cmmg bolt

Cmmg lower parts kit I think

Metalform 32 rd mags

I already had to dremel the bolt to make room for the ejector.

Trying a different bolt catch seems to be the logical first step.

Just wanted to see what y'all thought
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have any really good advice because I'm new to the 9mm field. However, I have just finished my DDLES build using JP's bolt and Metalform mags, and have absolutely no issue at all. I'd say if you already had to dremel the bolt, the issue is with it. Maybe contact QC10 and see if they have any advice.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:06:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Can you post a picture of your reciever from the top with no upper and an unloaded mag inserted.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:51:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:25:10 PM EDT
[#4]
First, is the ejector one of the free float kind....or is it fixed solidly in place?
Second...when you said you dremeled the bolt, did you deepen the ejector slot or did you widen the slot?
How about same view from the side ?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:52:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

First, is the ejector one of the free float kind....or is it fixed solidly in place?

Second...when you said you dremeled the bolt, did you deepen the ejector slot or did you widen the slot?

How about same view from the side ?
View Quote
Ejector is the free float variety

I couldn't put my upper on my lower because the ejector was contacting the bolt.

Made the ejector channel in the bolt longer, while maintaining the stock width.

This is a known issue with these as I found a couple threads on here with the same problems.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:41:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Everything looks good, not seeing any obvious issues.....is the bolt catch free in the slot and are you running an extended length buffer?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Everything looks good, not seeing any obvious issues.....is the bolt catch free in the slot and are you running an extended length buffer?
View Quote
Bolt catch moves freely in the slot.

I'm using slash heavy buffer 9qt, and a standard millspec ext.

Was messing with it last night and noticed the mags drop free without the upper attached.

When I put the upper on the mags don't drop free. (With bolt locked to rear)

Maybe something goofy is going on with upper to lower fit.

Appreciate you trying to help out
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#8]
How hard is the takedown pin to insert when attaching the upper......?

I ask about the buffer as I have seen instances of a buffer physically not allowing  a bolt to lock back.............sounds like that isn't the issue

Wonder if your upper is out of spec and hasn't been properly relieved to clear the feed lips.......I just opened a case of uppers last week that were most likely made during the panic.......and of 25 receivers 10 didn't have the relief for the ejection port cover machined in them.....and one had the entire ejection port about .030 out of square with the centerline of the bore......to the point that the ejection port cover wouldn't fit in the recess machined for it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:34:55 PM EDT
[#9]
The followers of my Metalform mags had to be adjusted to work with my CMMG lower.  Just bent both legs forward so that the follower was closer to parallel with the bore instead of at a near 45* angle.  That fixed everything.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:40:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

How hard is the takedown pin to insert when attaching the upper......?

I ask about the buffer as I have seen instances of a buffer physically not allowing  a bolt to lock back.............sounds like that isn't the issue

Wonder if your upper is out of spec and hasn't been properly relieved to clear the feed lips.......I just opened a case of uppers last week that were most likely made during the panic.......and of 25 receivers 10 didn't have the relief for the ejection port cover machined in them.....and one had the entire ejection port about .030 out of square with the centerline of the bore......to the point that the ejection port cover wouldn't fit in the recess machined for it.
View Quote
Upper to lower fit is tight, but tool free to put together/take apart.

Upper is a MUR
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The followers of my Metalform mags had to be adjusted to work with my CMMG lower.  Just bent both legs forward so that the follower was closer to parallel with the bore instead of at a near 45* angle.  That fixed everything.
View Quote
I might try this. Bummer though, as I thought the metalform were THE mags to have.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:50:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Did you use a lower strength bolt catch spring?  There was a shorter and lower pressure spring for my Glock version lower.  Maybe the bolt catch spring is just to strong and the mag can't lift it.
Opposite problem could be a weak spring in the mag.  If it is a used UZI/Colt mag it could have a weak spring.
everything else looks right to me. ???
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:51:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I might try this. Bummer though, as I thought the metalform were THE mags to have.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are.  From what I've seen though the dedicated lowers tend to place the mags a bit higher than the conversion blocks.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Did you use a lower strength bolt catch spring?  There was a shorter and lower pressure spring for my Glock version lower.  Maybe the bolt catch spring is just to strong and the mag can't lift it.

Opposite problem could be a weak spring in the mag.  If it is a used UZI/Colt mag it could have a weak spring.

everything else looks right to me. ???
View Quote
I believe I use the standard spring from my LPK. The mag is new, mag spring seems pretty strong.

Pain in the arse to load.

I think I have an extra spring, I may try cutting a coil or two off and see if that helps before I start bending magazine followers.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:47:58 PM EDT
[#15]
My Glock version lower definitely came with a different spring and a note to use it in place of the standard LPK spring.  Not sure if it is the same story for the Colt version, but cutting down the spring should increase the chance to get the bolt hold open to work.  If you cut too far it might start to hold the bolt when the mag is not empty, but sounds like you are far from that problem now.
Good Luck!
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:46:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Update

The mur receiver was the problem. It was too thick in two spots and making contact with the mags.

I removed some material, and now my mags drop free, and the LRBHO is working when hand cycled.

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top