Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2014 3:57:53 PM EDT
I just built a 300BO a few months back as my last project and looking around for something else to build....  

So why would I want to build a 9mm AR?   I do like Glocks and reload so having a SBR that can use the same mags and ammo kind of appeals but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on a new build that's chambered in 9mm?

Just looking for reasons to answer to the DW for the inevitable  "Why on earth do you need another gun?"

"Um because?" isn't really the best received answer these days, I've used it too many times in the last few years.  And "It's cool?" isn't that great an option either.   :)

I would run it suppressed of course, my tinnitus demands I keep things as quiet as possible to avoid further damage.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:21:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just built a 300BO a few months back as my last project and looking around for something else to build....  

So why would I want to build a 9mm AR?   I do like Glocks and reload so having a SBR that can use the same mags and ammo kind of appeals but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on a new build that's chambered in 9mm?

Just looking for reasons to answer to the DW for the inevitable  "Why on earth do you need another gun?"

"Um because?" isn't really the best received answer these days, I've used it too many times in the last few years.  And "It's cool?" isn't that great an option either.   :)

I would run it suppressed of course, my tinnitus demands I keep things as quiet as possible to avoid further damage.  

View Quote

Basically, was in the same boat as you....so I justified getting a Mac 10 with a Lage upper instead.....would post pics but its in NFA jail...so here are pics of my 300BLK pistolla instead

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:29:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

One of the biggest reasons for a PCC is that many indoor ranges do not allow rifle calibers, but are OK with rifles/carbines in pistol calibers.  That can be a powerful incentive for those living in places where finding places to shoot outdoors is difficult or just too uncomfortable for most of the winter or summer.  Also, caliber commonality, and mag commonality in some cases.  Used to be that PCC was cheaper to shoot, thus getting in more trigger time, but that's not quite the argument it once was, either.

If you've got a backyard shooting range, not so much - then the only reason to do it is for fun and "cuz, 'murica!"
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:30:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I enjoy 9mm carbines as I reload 9mm in bulk.  9mm doesn't generally need much case prep.  

For shooting steel plates up close 9mm carbines are a hoot.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:39:15 PM EDT
[#4]
They're fun to shoot.  They aren't expensive to shoot.  They're fun.  You can build a 9mm upper and use a magazine block so that you're using your regular lower (or your SBR lower) so you get more trigger time with your regular/SBR gun. They're fun.

Oh, and they're fun to shoot, too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#5]
No explanations need. The panties just start droppin' if you build it right.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I just wanted a super shorty barrel to run suppressed.  My 5" TROS 3-lug barrel should be here imminently, but my Octane 9 is a bit further out...  

Oh, and a 4.5" 22LR is fun as heck as well...
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:54:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Shame those lowers are impossible to find nowadays.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shame those lowers are impossible to find nowadays.
View Quote

Nope, just being made by a different company now. They are in stock and shipping right now.

QuarterCircle10
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:13:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Fairly cheap and easy to find ammo for it, suppresses well in short barrels, lots of build options and a good number of companies making lowers and parts, only thing I dislike about it is that its a blow back with its harsher recoil.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:40:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Tons 'o reasons!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:06:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

No explanations need. The panties just start droppin' if you build it right.

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu234/carbonfly/NFA/C71BCE9C-5C57-4928-B349-C782C0954272_zpspv8aopjj.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I too kinda felt like a 9mm AR wasn't necessary since I had a 300 blk SBR.  I was going to use it for hunting and my primary HD rifle.  Then I thought about a 9mm AR again and realized that even suppressed it would be 6 inches shorter than my BLK and quite a bit cheaper to plink with.  So I talked myself into it and now I have a 9mm AR for my primary HD rifle.  It's very compact, quiet and has 32 rounds ready to go.  Some will say 9mm isn't the greatest round for your primary HD rifle, but unless the intruder is wearing armor, he's still gonna die and there's plenty of rounds to keep shooting.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:32:05 AM EDT
[#13]
two of the club ranges in the phoenix area have monthly Pistol Caliber Carbine shoots. And one of them is tomorrow night!

They don't allow .223 (steel is too close for safety, there is a paper target event for .223 on a different day) and .22LR won't usually knock down the plates.

AR in 9mm is perfect for the PCC game!

Poole
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:13:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I too kinda felt like a 9mm AR wasn't necessary since I had a 300 blk SBR.  I was going to use it for hunting and my primary HD rifle.  Then I thought about a 9mm AR again and realized that even suppressed it would be 6 inches shorter than my BLK and quite a bit cheaper to plink with.  So I talked myself into it and now I have a 9mm AR for my primary HD rifle.  It's very compact, quiet and has 32 rounds ready to go.  Some will say 9mm isn't the greatest round for your primary HD rifle, but unless the intruder is wearing armor, he's still gonna die and there's plenty of rounds to keep shooting.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1424/13602099/24570561/409942651.jpg
View Quote

One reason I went with a separate magazine block versus a 9mm-specific lower was to allow me to use short uppers of whatever caliber, 9mm included.  Lots of flexibility there.  My "original configuration" for my SBR is with a 9mm, 10.5" upper, which makes the gun about 26" long with the stock extended.  Very easy to handle, very easy to keep on target.  And a 32 round magazine just keeps going...

I recently got a Quarter Circle 10 Glock lower that I'm assembling at the moment.  It'll get a stamp soon, too, and eventually I'll have a shorter upper with plans for a suppressor after that.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:20:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I just wanted a super shorty barrel to run suppressed.  My 5" TROS 3-lug barrel should be here imminently, but my Octane 9 is a bit further out...  

View Quote

Ha! That's what I thought 6 months ago. I'm now going on 8 months and still waiting. Was told in June that they were 2-3 weeks out. Curious...what were you told?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:51:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Ha! That's what I thought 6 months ago. I'm now going on 8 months and still waiting. Was told in June that they were 2-3 weeks out. Curious...what were you told?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I spoke with Mark last week, and he indicated it was two weeks away, so I suppose I'll find out next week if that was accurate...

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:21:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I can reload 9mm for 10-11 cents a round and that's cheaper than .22 around here. If I start casting, it would be closer to .5 cents.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly why my 9mm is my HD AR:  suppressed/subsonic and short.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:40:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

One reason I went with a separate magazine block versus a 9mm-specific lower was to allow me to use short uppers of whatever caliber, 9mm included.  Lots of flexibility there.  My "original configuration" for my SBR is with a 9mm, 10.5" upper, which makes the gun about 26" long with the stock extended.  Very easy to handle, very easy to keep on target.  And a 32 round magazine just keeps going...

I recently got a Quarter Circle 10 Glock lower that I'm assembling at the moment.  It'll get a stamp soon, too, and eventually I'll have a shorter upper with plans for a suppressor after that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a good point, if you're limited in how many SBRs you can have, it's a good idea to keep it as versatile as possible.  Like you, you can always get a dedicated lower down the road when it's best for you.  I already had 2 AR-15 SBRs prior to submitting my DDLES lower and I'm still waiting on it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:04:20 AM EDT
[#20]
I already had a 40 S&W based on a DDLES Glock lower, so it was easy to ad the 9MM, since I always find lots of free 9MM brass at the range.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:31:44 AM EDT
[#21]
-really quiet suppressed
-you can shoot them at indoor ranges
-pisses off Pelosi and her cronies
-good for the economy
-fun
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:51:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I had a hk94 sbr (semi MP5) and sold it.  I built a SBR AR in 9mm (5" TROS barrel) to fill the void and pocked the extra 2k.  The AR never filled the void or matched up to the smoothness of the rollerlocked HK style guns so I ended up getting another semi MP5 and turned the SBR AR lower into a dedicated .22.  no regrets.

when I had it..

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Yep....build one.

LRM M-169
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice!

Sorry this thread disappeared on me after I posted and I just found it.   I greatly appreciate the comments although the DW probably won't.  :)

I think having something more controllable for her for HD might be the best received.  

Now to figure out the parts.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:53:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I had a hk94 sbr (semi MP5) and sold it.  I built a SBR AR in 9mm (5" TROS barrel) to fill the void and pocked the extra 2k.  The AR never filled the void or matched up to the smoothness of the rollerlocked HK style guns so I ended up getting another semi MP5 and turned the SBR AR lower into a dedicated .22.  no regrets.

when I had it..
<a href="http://s238.photobucket.com/user/scocor83/media/SBRPunisher.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff157/scocor83/SBRPunisher.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s238.photobucket.com/user/scocor83/media/kourts006.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff157/scocor83/kourts006.jpg</a>
View Quote

I'd pay good money for one of those modified K grips...
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:45:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Because I wanted something stupid small and different than what I already have.

And it suppresses well

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:09:33 AM EDT
[#27]

Beautiful. Specs?

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:23:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Beautiful. Specs?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Beautiful. Specs?  

Thank you.

DDLES small frame lower
RRA slab side upper
Odin keymod forend
LWRC compact stock
ADCO 5.5" barrel
ADCO bolt
Magpul grips
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:36:54 AM EDT
[#29]
The 9mm doesn't give me an obnoxious headache shooting an hour at the indoor range like a 5.56 would. It's fun, cheap to shoot, and with +p+ ammo hits like a .357 revolver.  Of course I am building a .300blk now, these variants can get addictive.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 2:36:45 AM EDT
[#30]
There's not much funner than shooting plates with a 9mm.  Also, if I ever got rid of it, my oldest daughter would never forgive me.  

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 3:35:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
There's not much funner than shooting plates with a 9mm.  Also, if I ever got rid of it, my oldest daughter would never forgive me.  

<a href="http://s395.photobucket.com/user/tejota_2008/media/Mine/IMG_0556_zpsbd741654.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp38/tejota_2008/Mine/IMG_0556_zpsbd741654.jpg</a>
View Quote

She must not have shot that gun yet.  How many rounds can she hold it like that before letting go?
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 3:46:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

She must not have shot that gun yet.  How many rounds can she hold it like that before letting go?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s395.photobucket.com/user/tejota_2008/media/Mine/IMG_0556_zpsbd741654.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp38/tejota_2008/Mine/IMG_0556_zpsbd741654.jpg</a>

After a few she changes her grip.  Surprisingly she is better at hitting plates with the irons than with an eotech.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top