Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2014 6:47:59 PM EDT
I'm plotting a 9mm build and pondering all the stuff on the upper receiver.  Anybody have any experience with leaving out the forward assist and the deflector?  I want to use a DPMS Lo Pro Upper with no assist, dust cover or deflector and I'd like to know it this is a bad idea and why.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 7:04:12 PM EDT
[#1]
9mm don't need forward assist.  Bolts don't even have the provisions for it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 7:18:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Copy that.  What about the deflector?  How necessary is it?  I'm hoping to go minimalist with the upper, but I don't want brass nicks on my forehead.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#3]
the deflector is more for gas than brass.....my colt mag 9mm runs fine with out it......
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Ed is correct.  A 9 mm bolt does not have the serrations for a bolt assist to work.  Next, there is a small brass deflector for lefty's shooting 5.56.  It is also of no consequence because the gas deflector blocks it.   The dust cover is not needed unless you are going to be low crawling in the mud.  That leaves the gas deflector.  I believe this is an essential piece of "must have" equipment.

My son was shooting my 9 mm SBR when a 9 mm round "grenaded" before it entered the chamber.  The gas deflector saved his face.  Thank goodness no one was to the right of him.  I kept the piece of brass as a reminder.  Here is a picture of it.

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:09:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I misspoke.  The rod for the dust cover holds the gas deflector in place.  Here is a picture of my 9 mm.

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:35:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Sun Devil sells a slickside that has the door and can accept the gas deflector. The cheapest I've found it is at Arizona Armory for $145. It's what I'm using on my current build. On their page it's part number UR-9b.

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:45:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Just a thought, if you want the DPMS upper you're talking about, there's one on the EE right now for $70.
HERE (It's not mine)
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:14:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sun Devil sells a slickside that has the door and can accept the gas deflector. The cheapest I've found it is at Arizona Armory for $145. It's what I'm using on my current build. On their page it's part number UR-9b.

http://www.luckycouple.com/photos/misc/sun_devil_smooth_upper_01.jpg

View Quote

Thar's the same upper I am running, I wanted to get rid of the FA and brass deflector, but retain the ejection port door so I can use the gas deflector.  My gun is suppressed 100% of the time and I am a lefty, so the gas deflector is beneficial to me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:22:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

This

Jafish has good taste!  In my opinion, the best looking 9mm upper was the Spikes billet upper. I only ordered 1 when they were in stock at 9mmar.com (should have ordered 3) and it is only rumored that they will make them again soon. The next best option, and darn close for good looks, is this Sun Devil upper with the 9mm rubber bumper and 2/3 dust cover kit. I'm planning on ordering one soon.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:48:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This

Jafish has good taste!  In my opinion, the best looking 9mm upper was the Spikes billet upper. I only ordered 1 when they were in stock at 9mmar.com (should have ordered 3) and it is only rumored that they will make them again soon. The next best option, and darn close for good looks, is this Sun Devil upper with the 9mm rubber bumper and 2/3 dust cover kit. I'm planning on ordering one soon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

If only Spikes was still producing their 9mm upper, I'd order that in a heartbeat! However, since they don't, I'm ordering the Sun Devil from AA tomorrow. I can't wait to get my 9mm done!!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:53:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Anderson light weight  no forward assist  AIM has em for $39.95 plus shipping
I just used one for 22 build
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:20:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Anderson light weight  no forward assist  AIM has em for $39.95 plus shipping
I just used one for 22 build
View Quote

Great option, IF you don't plan on using the rubber bumper with 2/3 size port door since that upper does not have the hinge to hang it off.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:13:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have two Oly 9mm uppers and both bolt carriers have forward assist notches.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 3:39:10 PM EDT
[#14]
That would be my next question.  I see from the thread that the gas deflector is probably a good thing to have, but what if I'm using a buffer spacer so that the BCG travel is reduced (as appears to be common with 9mm builds)?  Will the gas deflector actually do anything in that case if the BCG never even goes back that far?  Or am I just totally off on the effect of the buffer spacer?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 3:55:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Will the gas deflector actually do anything in that case if the BCG never even goes back that far?
View Quote

The gas deflector prevents gases from the round from having a straight line to your face.  This doesn't have anything to do with your BCG or whether you are using a spacer or not.   The bolt does not have to be closed for round ignition.  It happens rarely, but it has happened twice to me.  The gas deflector is important.  I have never seen a production 9 mm rifle without one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 4:34:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pfftt...no one counts Oly these days.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:27:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And to their loss.
Not to take away from the OP initial thread, but  I never had any "problems" to work out to get my Oly to run. . Drop on upper and have fun. This forum is full of posts of folks trying to get their non-Oly 9MMs to run.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:37:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Not to take away from the OP initial thread, but  I never had any "problems" to work out to get my Oly to run. . Drop on upper and have fun. This forum is full of posts of folks trying to get their non-Oly 9MMs to run.
View Quote

I've seen  my share of Oly problems as well.  Don't let anybody fool you, all weapon lines have occasional problems and some lemons that go out.

I believe you hear less about Oly 9mm systems because there are fewer of them.  Remember there are two 9mm variants - there's Oly then there's the rest of the industry.

-bob
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

http://www.luckycouple.com/photos/misc/sun_devil_smooth_upper_01.jpg

View Quote

I just wanted to add that I was never able to get the lower from Arizona Armory because the guy wouldn't answer his phone and doesn't take orders online. I ended up buying the same upper from Quentin Tactical for a couple dollars more.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:36:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I used one of these on my build along with a RRA door and deflector:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=439499079

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:56:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Vltor mur 1s
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
the deflector is more for gas than brass.....my colt mag 9mm runs fine with out it......
<a href="http://s368.photobucket.com/user/MadMachinist/media/9mmAR_zps9e15b031.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo121/MadMachinist/9mmAR_zps9e15b031.jpg</a>
View Quote

Is that a Yellow Logic lower?
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:05:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Vltor mur 1s
View Quote

That was my initial choice, but I prefer to not have the 5.56 brass deflector on there. That's the reason I chose the Sun Devil.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:51:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That was my initial choice, but I prefer to not have the 5.56 brass deflector on there. That's the reason I chose the Sun Devil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Vltor mur 1s

I wasn't aware that the deflector had no purpose for the 9mm.  I still like it on there for anything but something to come into contact with the ground first if I drop it.   Id rather get a ding on the deflector, which is easily replaced than the side of the rifle where I've cerakoted it.  or at least I'm telling myself to justify having it
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:21:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Point well taken about the gas JFC.  Thanks for the insight.  I'm probably going to opt for the CMT UPUR-4 that leaves out the forward assist and the brass deflector, but has the provisions for the dust port cover and gas deflector.

One of my goals is light weight and leaving out extraneous stuff is overall a good thing, plus I like the looks without the FA and deflector, although that gas deflector looks like crap.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#26]
I think the gas deflector looks like crap too...but some people like it.  each to their own.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ed is correct.  A 9 mm bolt does not have the serrations for a bolt assist to work.  Next, there is a small brass deflector for lefty's shooting 5.56.  It is also of no consequence because the gas deflector blocks it.   The dust cover is not needed unless you are going to be low crawling in the mud.  That leaves the gas deflector.  I believe this is an essential piece of "must have" equipment.

My son was shooting my 9 mm SBR when a 9 mm round "grenaded" before it entered the chamber.  The gas deflector saved his face.  Thank goodness no one was to the right of him.  I kept the piece of brass as a reminder.  Here is a picture of it.

<a href="http://s974.photobucket.com/user/jfcisme/media/9mmgrenade_zps5444a243.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae221/jfcisme/9mmgrenade_zps5444a243.jpg</a>
View Quote

Thank you for posting this. I was debating the deflector for my SBR build. Your post is enough to convince me to add one.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 7:57:58 PM EDT
[#28]
As has been stated, the forward assist isn't applicable with any 9mm bolt I have seen.  I opted for an upper without a forward assist, but with a deflector.  I just finished the build, so I have only about 100 rounds through it, but the deflector doesn't appear to have been in contact with any brass at all.  My brass flips out at about 10 feet at the 3:00 to 3:30 position.  And that's with 115 grain round nose FMJ Sellier & Bellot and 124 grain Speer Gold Dot.  Both off-the shelf ammo.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:19:21 PM EDT
[#29]
are m4 feedramps necessary? I noticed that some have them and some do not...
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:30:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

No the feed ramps are built into the magazine block on the Colt system, anyone that has M4 feed ramps is obviously a cheapskate.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#31]
I saw those on my ProMag mag block.  I anybody have any input on how they might match up to the chamber on 3rd party barrels?  I'm considering a  barrel from ADCO and there aren't a whole lot of photos to show what the chamber end will look like.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:32:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Here's a pic of the chamber on my 4.5" 9mm ADCO barrel.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:46:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

No the feed ramps are built into the magazine block on the Colt system, anyone that has M4 feed ramps is obviously a cheapskate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is that? I just see that most uppers have the feed ramps and was wondering if they helped.

Does anyone have pictures of the 2 that show the bolt face of the barrel with and without them?
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top