Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2014 10:22:44 PM EDT
It seems from my interweb searches that there are really only 2 options for 9mm ramped bolts, RRA or CMMG. Is there really any difference between them (is one better)? ADCO only sells the RRA, but some other dealers only sell the CMMG. Do I need to lean one way or the other, or just buy whichever I can find cheapest?
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:25:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Ramped bolts?  In for info.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a CMMG  and it's 100%. Cheapest I've found is at Exile Machine.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:33:14 PM EDT
[#3]
JP makes a bolt with a ramped charging pad.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Colt seems to ramp their bolts now, as well, and you can also have an unramped bolt ramped by a smith or machinist.

To those in for info: Ramping is cutting a slope and sometimes radius into the underside of the bolt so that it's gentler on the hammer in the cocking cycle of counterbattery movement.  The impulse of a pure blowback firing cycle is different than that of a locked-bolt DI or piston system, and can be hard on both hammer/trigger pins and their mounting holes.  More modern iterations tend to ramp the bolt to reduce the shock to the pins and receiver of the blowback operating cycle.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:38:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I did another search and found the JP BCG after remembering someone talking about having one that they paired up with the JP's silent spring.

I'll check out Exile. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:39:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, Exile is sold out.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:40:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did another search and found the JP BCG after remembering someone talking about having one that they paired up with the JP's silent spring.

View Quote

Are you going to use Glock mags?  If so, you could consider the JP bolt or getting a CMMG bolt and having it cut.   If you will not be using Glock mags, I'd say just go for the cheaper(but just as good) CMMG bolt.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:42:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Interesting point, I searched on Brownell's, and they're selling JP's bolt for less then CMMG's. Interesting...I'll probably just go with the JP.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:43:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Are you going to use Glock mags?  If so, you could consider the JP bolt or getting a CMMG bolt and having it cut.   If you will not be using Glock mags, I'd say just go for the cheaper(but just as good) CMMG bolt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I'm using Colt style mags. I have found the CMMG for as cheap as $180, but with shipping (free shipping through Brownells). Shipping almost makes the price the same, but if I purchase everything through Brownells I can get $50 off the entire order, which is an even better equalizer.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 4:30:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 6:54:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Bud's Guns has the CMMG in stock. I used "make an offer" of $160 and it was accepted. Shipping was higher than I like, $14 I think, but overall it was the best deal I found at the time. I had it in a few days.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 7:03:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Every new RRA bolt I have seen was not ramped and requires the ues of the matching RRA's hammer......
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:47:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Interesting point, I searched on Brownell's, and they're selling JP's bolt for less then CMMG's. Interesting...I'll probably just go with the JP.
View Quote

I got an email from Mel at JP stating that the ETA on these was a couple weeks.  Brownells is in stock and if you use coupon code GRX you'll get 10% off.  Brought it to 230 and change shipped to me.

Thanks for the heads up, saved me some money and time.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:54:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Every new RRA bolt I have seen was not ramped and requires the ues of the matching RRA's hammer......
View Quote

+1 This.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:09:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

+1 This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 This.

Yup.  I had ADCO ramp mine so I could use a standard hammer - and use the 9mm upper on other lowers.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:40:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I ended up going with the JP for a couple reasons. With the LEO discount and the discount code, It ran me just about $200.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:55:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I had my smith ramp my unramped bolt.  I use a regular round hammer.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:12:54 PM EDT
[#18]
A RRA bolt also works with a DPMS hammer.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 10:27:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I was one of the lucky ones to get a DDLES dedicated lower before they went under and bought it with the internal parts installed.  DDLES told me they used DPMS parts so I'll have to take their word on that.  I've decided to go with a RRA upper but would like to know:  Should I get it with one of their (RRA) bolts and have it ramped by ADCO, or get an already ramped bolt from another maker?  What does ADCO charge for this service?
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 4:16:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I was one of the lucky ones to get a DDLES dedicated lower before they went under and bought it with the internal parts installed.  DDLES told me they used DPMS parts so I'll have to take their word on that.  I've decided to go with a RRA upper but would like to know:  Should I get it with one of their (RRA) bolts and have it ramped by ADCO, or get an already ramped bolt from another maker?  What does ADCO charge for this service?
View Quote

If using standard AR hammer...

RRA would need ramped AND cut
CMMG only needs cut
JP needs nothing
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 6:49:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

CMMG only needs cut
JP needs nothing
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CMMG only needs cut
JP needs nothing

It only needs to be cut if it's a Glock lower.  If it's a Colt-pattern lower, ramping is all a Rock River bolt needs.

ADCO did my RRA bolt ramp, and they shipped it back quickly.  Their pricing is on their web site, under Shop Services, then under "9mm bolt mods."  Just ramping showa as $50.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:54:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks.  My lower is a Colt pattern.  How do I know if my hammer is a "standard" hammer.  As stated in my previous post, DDLES maintained they used DPMS internals.  Does DPMS make more than one kind of hammer?
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:53:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thanks.  My lower is a Colt pattern.  How do I know if my hammer is a "standard" hammer.  As stated in my previous post, DDLES maintained they used DPMS internals.  Does DPMS make more than one kind of hammer?
View Quote

Standard hammer.

9mm hammer.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 10:51:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the last three helpful posts guys.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 10:52:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the last three helpful posts guys.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:23:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
A RRA bolt also works with a DPMS hammer.
View Quote

Exactly, it is not necessary to ramp your bolt if you have a rounded (DPMS style) hammer.  It makes it a little smoother, but it is not necessary.  I've been using this little guy with an unramped bolt and DPMS hammer for half a decade, at least 5000 rounds through it, most of which suppressed.  

Unramped bolt + rounded hammer =
Unramped bolt + 9mm RRA hammer = (although not as smooth as the above)
Unramped bolt + notched hammer =
Unramped bolt + Geissele SSA =
Unramped bolt + Geissele SSA-E =
Unramped bolt + Geissele 3g =
Ramped bolt + rounded hammer =
Ramped bolt + 9mm RRA hammer =
Ramped bolt + notched hammer =
Ramped bolt + Geissele SSA =
Ramped bolt + Geissele SSA-E =
Ramped bolt + Geissele 3G =
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top