Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2014 11:43:35 PM EDT
I'm trying to determine if my hammer is a 9mm or a normal ar hammer without the notch on the back.  Thanks for the input!

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:54:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#2]
That's a standard "rounded" AR hammer.  The only reason to use a "9mm hammer" is with a Rock River UNramped bolt.  A ramped bolt works with standard hammers (which aren't as expensive OR as picky as the 9mm gadget), and is possibly easier on the hammer pin than an unramped hammer.

I had my RRA bolt ramped by ADCO a long time back; it was perfect.  It's $50 plus shipping and they turned mine around really quickly.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:08:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's a standard "rounded" AR hammer.  The only reason to use a "9mm hammer" is with a Rock River UNramped bolt.  A ramped bolt works with standard hammers (which aren't as expensive OR as picky as the 9mm gadget), and is possibly easier on the hammer pin than an unramped hammer.

I had my RRA bolt ramped by ADCO a long time back; it was perfect.  It's $50 plus shipping and they turned mine around really quickly.
View Quote

Great, thanks for that info!
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Or just buy a CMMG ramped bolt and not worry about any extra machine work.

More details ahedgpe?  What is your project?  What are you trying to accomplish?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:17:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Or just buy a CMMG ramped bolt and not worry about any extra machine work.

More details ahedgpe?  What is your project?  What are you trying to accomplish?
View Quote

Actually, I am getting a 5.56 upper and wanted to make sure that the same hammer would work with it, for easy swapping.  It currently works great with my asa 9mm upper and ramped bolt.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Neutered M16 hammer as you have is all the hammer any AR-15 on the face of planet will ever need..   swap your 9 upper for a 556 upper and carry on.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:56:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Neutered M16 hammer as you have is all the hammer any AR-15 on the face of planet will ever need..   swap your 9 upper for a 556 upper and carry on.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/capttoyota/AR-15%20misc/PICT0037.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/capttoyota/AR-15%20misc/PICT0051N.jpg
View Quote

This.  The "DPMS" style or "rounded" AR hammer (as opposed to a notched AR15 hammer) is essentially a pre-neutered M16 hammer.  It's what I have in my factory 9mm lower and my SBR so I can slap a 9mm upper on it.  The upside is that you don't have to mill the hook off of a hammer yourself, and they're available everywhere.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:52:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

same here, had adco ramp mine and now use a normal hammer.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#9]
FYI,, even though tail still similar to Sporter hammer..  I finally took and cut the tail off my neutered M16 hammer so it is more square.. the back end of hammer hits disconnect and leave shiny spot, so I back of hammer off so it not hit disconnector anymore,, might be reason for hammer pins breaking.. though I have not broken hammer pin yet
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Got around to taking pic of my "neutered some more" hammer to keep tail from hitting disconnect and wedging hammer that cause hammer pin hole at receiver wear..

Trimmed hammer tail -

Rub mark at disconnector from hammer tail -
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top