BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/26/2014 8:45:34 AM EDT
Has anyone used the LWRC ultra compact stock on a 9mm lower? I was wondering what buffer to use if this was done. The shorter buffer tube may be an afvantage with the 9mm since a lot of people are using spacers and extra long buffers to shorten the stroke.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:47:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep. Using Slash's heavy buffer and it runs 100%.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:01:35 PM EDT
[#2]
That is one sweet looking setup.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:04:01 PM EDT
[#3]
That's awesome!  What barrel length is that? I have a CMMG lower that I am ready to FORM1 but haven't decided on barrel length. Also if I decide to get that stock setup I will need to factor that into the OAL on the paperwork. What is the OAL on yours?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:21:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven't used mine with a 9mm yet.  Looking at it I think a standard 9mm buffer would work.  I'm sure I'll build a 9mm upper sometime and find out.

I have used mine with 5.56, 7.62x39 and .300.  I've got a 5.7 upper I'm going to use with it at some point, but I'm waiting for a can since the barrel is already cut to 7".

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:37:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Someone just posted on slickguns that lwrc is going to have a 20% off labor day sale on their entire webstore. Hope its true, I'd like to try one of these stocks out.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Someone just posted on slickguns that lwrc is going to have a 20% off labor day sale on their entire webstore. Hope its true, I'd like to try one of these stocks out.
View Quote
I bought both of my stocks when they ran sales like that.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:33:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Holy cow! That buffer costs more than the LWRC stock, endplate, buffer, spring and tube
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:12:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Holy cow! That buffer costs more than the LWRC stock, endplate, buffer, spring and tube
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I agree..... I considered it, but then didn't want to pay $300 for just a stock setup that would cost more than my DDLES lower.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:12:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I agree..... I considered it, but then didn't want to pay $300 for just a stock setup that would cost more than my DDLES lower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't get into guns for the money savings. Buy once, cry once. Spend your money on quality parts.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:47:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I didn't get into guns for the money savings. Buy once, cry once. Spend your money on quality parts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

so true.  Blowback 9mm ARs are a bit different of a beast and mine stopped breaking bolt catches as soon as I swapped in a Slash's heavy buffer.  While they're pricey, they're purpose built and work well.  I'm VERY tempted by the LWRC stock and I'd definitely get the short buffer if I got it.  We'll see whats on sale this weekend.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:56:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
so true.  Blowback 9mm ARs are a bit different of a beast and mine stopped breaking bolt catches as soon as I swapped in a Slash's heavy buffer.  While they're pricey, they're purpose built and work well.  I'm VERY tempted by the LWRC stock and I'd definitely get the short buffer if I got it.  We'll see whats on sale this weekend.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

SNIP

They brake bolt buffers because they have too much over travel and the forward momentum is too high.  Slash's buffer solves the issue by shortening the travel, same as a Spikes ST-9X.

I think a standard 9mm buffer in the LWRC UCIW tube would solve the problem for about $20.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:16:12 PM EDT
[#12]
A plastic spacer or quarters work too. Low class, but work to limit the travel.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Standard buffers are about .200-.250" too long to work with the UCIW stock on a 9mm setup. You can shave the bumper pad down about half its thickness and it will work. You can also use a Superior Shooting Solutions Full Length Flaw Wire CS Buffer Spring which wont over-compress and will add some tension that's needed. The UCIW already uses that type of flat spring but its shorter then the CSS CS Spring.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:46:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Running mine on a 5.56 but I have to say I love the stock.

Dave N
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:17:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Can we get a build list on this?

What takedown pins are those too?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:21:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Standard buffers are about .200-.250" too long to work with the UCIW stock on a 9mm setup. You can shave the bumper pad down about half its thickness and it will work. You can also use a Superior Shooting Solutions Full Length Flaw Wire CS Buffer Spring which wont over-compress and will add some tension that's needed. The UCIW already uses that type of flat spring but its shorter then the CSS CS Spring.
View Quote
Thanks for the information.  I was wondering if you would need to shave the buffer.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:07:03 AM EDT
[#17]

What buffer tube and end plate is that?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:16:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Agree with you 100% with spending money once on what you want.  Badass setup sir!
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:04:52 AM EDT
[#19]

What's the barrel length and hand guard? Nice little rifle.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:10:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They brake bolt buffers because they have too much over travel and the forward momentum is too high.  Slash's buffer solves the issue by shortening the travel, same as a Spikes ST-9X.

I think a standard 9mm buffer in the LWRC UCIW tube would solve the problem for about $20.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
SNIP

I needed the weight.  I originally had a Spikes heavy buffer and the spacer and that consistently broke catches.  I put a quarter then too behind the spacer and it still broke catches.  Then I tried the Spikes heavy and $1.50 to $1.75 in quarters and it continued to break catches.  As soon as I went to the spikes buffer, it stopped.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Just ordered the Heavy Buffers U-9 buffer and spring combo for my 9mm AR-15 SD build. Got my Form 1 approved today too.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:52:46 PM EDT
[#22]

Yup. Same buffer and it runs without issue.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1019.photobucket.com/user/beanfield2/media/ar15/IMG_20140905_125819685_HDR_zpszxhhjp91.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/beanfield2/ar15/IMG_20140905_125819685_HDR_zpszxhhjp91.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1019.photobucket.com/user/beanfield2/media/ar15/IMG_20140905_125819685_HDR_zpszxhhjp91.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/beanfield2/ar15/IMG_20140905_125819685_HDR_zpszxhhjp91.jpg</a>

I have a feeling we are going to see a wave of similar builds. I am in the middle of one right now of the Glock variety and hope to have it wrapped up this month.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 4:41:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Mine's coming along nicely. Here's a rough rendition of what it'll look like (Pimp My Gun didn't have a DDLES lower or the LWRC stock).

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Mine's coming along nicely. Here's a rough rendition of what it'll look like (Pimp My Gun didn't have a DDLES lower or the LWRC stock).

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3954/15358378988_8e5b00708c_c.jpg
View Quote

That's going to be sick. What barrel length, suppressor, and handguard are you going with to pull off the SD look?

FYI, and slightly off topic. There is a PMG flickr group that creates a bunch of parts not currently in the program that you can import in. Not sure if they have 9mm lowers but they may have some other stuff to give you a closer proof of concept.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:45:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That's going to be sick. What barrel length, suppressor, and handguard are you going with to pull off the SD look?
View Quote

Barrel is a 7" ADCO 9mm with 13.5x1LH threads. Handguard is an APEX 8.625" with an HK SD rubber handguard on the outside. Suppressor will be a SilencerCo Octane 9 HD 2. OAL will be more than an MP5 SD but it should very much still have that look.

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:54:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Barrel is a 7" ADCO 9mm with 13.5x1LH threads. Handguard is an APEX 8.625" with an HK SD rubber handguard on the outside. Suppressor will be a SilencerCo Octane 9 HD 2. OAL will be more than an MP5 SD but it should very much still have that look.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5601/15361336840_ce49198ea2_z.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm eager to see that completed (as I'm sure you are too!).

Waiting on some paperwork?
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:43:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Just bought the suppressor a couple weeks ago so it'll probably be in jail for a few more months, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 2:54:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dig it!

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#30]
LWRC is running a 20% off sale right now, good time to buy if your in the market for one.        

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:07:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
LWRC is running a 20% off sale right now, good time to buy if your in the market for one.          
View Quote

Damn. I just got mine last week!
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I always wait for the 20% off sale, they normally have them 2-3 times per year.

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 12:19:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Anyone else have problems with the U-9 buffer spring being too stiff? I noticed it was incredibly stiff as soon as I installed it (very hard to hand cycle the action) and then today when I shot it for the first time, I had multiple short strokes where it would occasionally feed a new round but the trigger would not reset and therefore would not fire. Thinking about doing some experimentation with the standard LWRC UCIW buffer spring and then maybe also a standard carbine spring.

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Anyone else have problems with the U-9 buffer spring being too stiff? I noticed it was incredibly stiff as soon as I installed it (very hard to hand cycle the action) and then today when I shot it for the first time, I had multiple short strokes where it would occasionally feed a new round but the trigger would not reset and therefore would not fire. Thinking about doing some experimentation with the standard LWRC UCIW buffer spring and then maybe also a standard carbine spring.

http://youtu.be/8K4ZCq_pKY0
View Quote

I think I may be on the opposite end where I'm cycling too fast. I originally thought I may be short stroking but another member's hypothesis is a good one. I'll confirm this weekend.

I've had no feeding issues/malfunctions but my BHO feature (I'm on a QC10 Glock lower) has very rarely worked. I'm going to determine if I'm getting bolt bounce and outrunning the BHO. I must say I'll be impressed if the 8.5oz buffer is cycling too fast unsuppressed.

What ammo are you shooting? I'm going to try a couple of different brands/weights this weekend and see if there are any differences. Your setup may run better with the additional back pressure when you get your suppressor and it looks like your setup is designed to run the can most of the time. Keep me up to date with your changes/results as you try things out. The more experience we have out their on the UCIW stocks in a 9mm setup the better.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:38:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I think I may be on the opposite end where I'm cycling too fast. I originally thought I may be short stroking but another member's hypothesis is a good one. I'll confirm this weekend.

I've had no feeding issues/malfunctions but my BHO feature (I'm on a QC10 Glock lower) has very rarely worked. I'm going to determine if I'm getting bolt bounce and outrunning the BHO. I must say I'll be impressed if the 8.5oz buffer is cycling too fast unsuppressed.

What ammo are you shooting? I'm going to try a couple of different brands/weights this weekend and see if there are any differences. Your setup may run better with the additional back pressure when you get your suppressor and it looks like your setup is designed to run the can most of the time. Keep me up to date with your changes/results as you try things out. The more experience we have out their on the UCIW stocks in a 9mm setup the better.
View Quote

I was shooting a couple different types of FMJ range ammo. I suppose that could have been part of the problem but honestly, I want this thing to be able to shoot whatever I put through it since I buy all different kinds of practice ammo. As for the suppressor being installed, it really shouldn't change anything with the cycling since the AR-9 is blowback operated (no gas tube, no change in back pressure).

Speaking of suppressors, here's the latest photo of my gun, this time with the suppressor attached.

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:53:25 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I was shooting a couple different types of FMJ range ammo. I suppose that could have been part of the problem but honestly, I want this thing to be able to shoot whatever I put through it since I buy all different kinds of practice ammo. As for the suppressor being installed, it really shouldn't change anything with the cycling since the AR-9 is blowback operated (no gas tube, no change in back pressure).

Speaking of suppressors, here's the latest photo of my gun, this time with the suppressor attached.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5606/15785511672_a2aa864647_b.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A suppressor will increase back pressure on a blowback firearm.

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 11:02:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks real nice.

I'll report my findings this weekend with my setup. There is definitely back pressure with suppressors. You'll see that Slash offers the 8.5 oz 9mm-Q buffer and the 12oz 9mmQ-T for suppressed use in full size receiver extensions for this very reason. Your setup may be perfect once the can is on.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 11:05:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for the info. My apologies for being mistaken.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 11:17:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info. My apologies for being mistaken.
View Quote

No worries my friend. I'm learning stuff everyday and very interested in fine tuning these UCIW 9mm setups to run various ammo consistently with no malfunctions and make sure we aren't breaking anything either.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#40]
I run a slash 9mm buffer on my lwrc stock as well on my colt sbr. It runs 100% with or without a can.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 11:38:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I run a slash 9mm buffer on my lwrc stock as well on my colt sbr. It runs 100% with or without a can.
View Quote

Which Slash buffer? The U-9 9mm UCIW-specific buffer? Which spring?

I was running the Slash U-9 w/the U-9 spring when I had all those malfunctions.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 12:06:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Tagged
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 12:17:52 AM EDT
[#43]
I'll hopefully have more feedback on my setup tomorrow after another range session. I'm thinking about emailing Clint @ Heavybuffers.com and seeing if he could offer the U9 buffer as a "kit" with various weights so we can tune the buffer as needed. He does it for the 9mmQ-T buffer so I see no reason why it couldn't be done for the U9.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:40:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is the u9 with u9 spring I believe. I'll check again today.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 7:45:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looks like yours is actually running better than mine. i'm getting short-stroking 100% of the time. The empty shell is extracted but not ejected and ends up sideways, crushed between the bolt face and the chamber.  The spring seems really stiff. I emailed Clint and asked if perhaps they had shipped the wrong spring. He replied that the U9 spring should have 34 coils, so I guess I've got the right spring. He also suggested underpowered ammo. I was using S&B 115 FMJ, which is actually a little hotter than a lot of US-made ammo. He also said it could just be a break-in problem that will correct itself in a few hundred rounds.

I haven't had a chance to get back out to the range to try different ammo, or a few hundred rounds to break it in, but I'd really like this thing to run whatever cheap-ass ammo I put in it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 7:53:01 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Looks like yours is actually running better than mine. i'm getting short-stroking 100% of the time. The empty shell is extracted but not ejected and ends up sideways, crushed between the bolt face and the chamber.  The spring seems really stiff. I emailed Clint and asked if perhaps they had shipped the wrong spring. He replied that the U9 spring should have 34 coils, so I guess I've got the right spring. He also suggested underpowered ammo. I was using S&B 115 FMJ, which is actually a little hotter than a lot of US-made ammo. He also said it could just be a break-in problem that will correct itself in a few hundred rounds.

I haven't had a chance to get back out to the range to try different ammo, or a few hundred rounds to break it in, but I'd really like this thing to run whatever cheap-ass ammo I put in it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would put a std carbine spring in, I would also bring the flatwire lwrc spring to try as well.

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 8:05:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I would put a std carbine spring in, I would also bring the flatwire lwrc spring to try as well.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. The next step is to try some different springs and possibly buffers.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 8:57:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Ran a couple hundred more rounds today. Had 1 stovepipe with some cheap Tula but otherwise ran great. I've probably run 1000 rounds with this setup with that 1 malfunction. I definitely think my bolt velocity is too high. I originally thought I was short stroking and bolt was not traveling far enough to rear but another member advised me to hold the bolt catch and fire to see if bolt would lock back. Sure enough BHO works flawlessly when bolt catch held while firing.

I'm going to try a couple of stiffer springs and may consider opening the buffer up to play with the weights. I'm planning on shooting Clint an email to see if he can offer a kit like the 9mmQ-T for us to tune the weights to our builds. It's interesting to see some short stroking and mine running too fast. The 8.5oz buffer is a beast and I'm surprised it gets moving so fast.

Pics of my setup (I know I've been whoring them around).

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:33:50 AM EDT
[#49]

This is awesome.  Link to barrel, lower and rail???
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:31:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Question for Carbonfly:  What kind of fold down sights are on your gun?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top