Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2014 8:17:53 PM EDT
I see people posting pictures of their AR "pistols" with a standard carbine buffer tube (i.e., it has the rail on the bottom for the stock to slip onto). Is that legal? I'm building a pistol and sending off the forms to SBR it, but was planning on purchasing a "pistol" buffer tube until the stamp arrives. Am I wasting my money, or is that the right way to do it?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 9:03:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Shit gets fuzzy with the "intent to construct". Basically having a extra carbine buttstock on the shelf and a pistol with carbine buffer tube can be illegal. Some guys wrap them with 550 cord but I think buying a pistol tube is safe and easy.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 9:20:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. That's what my thoughts were, but I just wasn't sure if I was overthinking it. I just read the same question here, and I understand what they are saying as well. I'll have to think that one through before I decide what to do.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:13:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I started of with a pistol tube, but after reading ATF rulings about buffer tubes, I changed to an A2 tube. much better for shooting while a pistol, I don't have any stocks that fit and A2 tube.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:53:16 AM EDT
[#4]
It is only illegal if you have a stock and don't have another AR that it could be legally used on.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:42:02 AM EDT
[#5]
First post didn't nail it.

It's not illegal to have a pistol you could put a stock on, it's illegal to put a stock on it.  Unless your making it into a rifle, then it's OK (In which case you can make it back into a pistol).  

It's not even fuzzy or gray, but it is complicated.  You can use a standard receiver extension, but don't put a stock on it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 1:31:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Will a sig arm brace fit on a standard car tube?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:06:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

First post didn't nail it.

It's not illegal to have a pistol you could put a stock on, it's illegal to put a stock on it.  Unless your making it into a rifle, then it's OK (In which case you can make it back into a pistol).  

It's not even fuzzy or gray, but it is complicated.  You can use a standard receiver extension, but don't put a stock on it.
View Quote

That isn't exactly true.  If the pistol is your only AR and you have a stock that will fit on it's a no go.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, guys, that clears it up, and saves me a little money. I'll just store my extra stocks at my dad's until the stamp comes through.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:16:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will a sig arm brace fit on a standard car tube?
View Quote

Nope need a pistol tube.

MAHA
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top