Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2014 7:53:19 PM EDT
So I just got an AR and a CMMG conversion kit + mags for the purpose of training and fun shooting. From the beginning I've been having issues with it failing to eject the spent casings completely.

I just shot it today and there was a time when it was doing this every single shot. Rather frustrating. There are two kind of problems I get: a stovepipe, and an issue where the casing doesn't eject but simply moves up and the bolt tries to feed another round in but gets caught on the brass sitting there.

Here are the specs:

Anderson lower
Del-Ton 16" upper
CMMG conversion CORRECTIONTactical Industries conversion
CMMG mags
Winchester M-22 & Federal Champion ammo

Am I doing something wrong? I'm totally new to this. Does the rifle need to "break in" or anything like that? Am I holding the rifle wrong? (like limp-wristing with a handgun?)

Pics attached. The stovepipe was taken right after it happened; the others were set up for the picture afterwards.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w428/WeaverJ3Cub/photo7_zps51e405df.jpg

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w428/WeaverJ3Cub/photo2_zps53c425aa.jpg
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 1:42:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Just might be the M-22 ammo.
If you can lay hands on some CCI Mini-Mags try them.
The M-22 seems to me to be underpowered.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 2:19:24 AM EDT
[#2]
What version CMMG is it?
Older with a stainless chamber adapter or the newer with brass insert?

Buy a Taccom BCG. It works.

Dave N
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 4:35:08 AM EDT
[#3]
What hammer trigger (FCG) are you using in your lower?
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 5:22:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies. Some answers...

Quoted:
Just might be the M-22 ammo.
If you can lay hands on some CCI Mini-Mags try them.
The M-22 seems to me to be underpowered.
View Quote

I forgot to mention...this was with both the Winchester M-22 and Federal "Champion." Maybe they're both underpowered? I'll try some CCI if I can find it.

Quoted:
What version CMMG is it?
Older with a stainless chamber adapter or the newer with brass insert?

Buy a Taccom BCG. It works.
View Quote

I'm not sure what version kit it is. There definitely isn't any stainless on it (it's all black, whatever that means) but I don't see any brass on it either.

EDIT: Hey wait! I had just assumed it was CMMG because that's what the guy who sold it to me said it would be. I actually read the insert in the box though and it is "Tactical Industries." http://tactical1.homestead.com/Target-Master-Conversion-Kit.html

Quoted:
What hammer trigger (FCG) are you using in your lower?
View Quote

The internals in the lower are whatever Anderson puts in their stuff. Sorry I don't have any more detail...it was a complete lower.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 5:28:35 AM EDT
[#5]
This pretty well shows the exact issues I'm having.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6ywxWuqgXg[/youtube]
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 11:57:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I had similar issue with AR with CMMG kit. Changed charging handle to one without channel on top, helped but still had ejection problem. Added a homemade pressure plug and seem to have solved the issue.
I guess when the bolt doesn't come in contact with buffer, there is no pressure to hold the whole thing tightly in place. When firing, the entire kit moves back slightly and cause all kinds of ejection problem.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 1:41:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
EDIT: Hey wait! I had just assumed it was CMMG because that's what the guy who sold it to me said it would be. I actually read the insert in the box though and it is "Tactical Industries." http://tactical1.homestead.com/Target-Master-Conversion-Kit.html
View Quote

So, the Target Master conversion is a bit dated in terms of advanced features, like the older CMMG and original Ciener and Spike's kits.  It would probably benefit from at least the TACCOM reliability upgrade kit - better recoil spring, improved firing pin, improved extractor and pressure plug.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So, the Target Master conversion is a bit dated in terms of advanced features, like the older CMMG and original Ciener and Spike's kits.  It would probably benefit from at least the TACCOM reliability upgrade kit - better recoil spring, improved firing pin, improved extractor and pressure plug.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Target Master conversions were not bad BCG's. I agree. I would get the Taccom reliability kit. It can solve lots of problems and cost lots less the expensive .22 ammo. (never thought I would say that)
http://www.taccom3g.com/22RF_RELIABILITY_KIT.html
Dave N
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I would recommend using the CMMG .22 charging handle.  I just build my AR .22 using the CMMG bolt kit and barrel collar , CMMG forward assist, CMMG charging handle, and Taccom reliability and spring kit.  I am also using a full size rifle buffer and spring, only because I had them laying around otherwise I probably would have picked up a pressure plug.  Looks to me like your spent casings may be getting shoved up in the charging handle.  The .22 CMMG charging handle has a smaller channel on the bottom side than a standard AR charging handle to prevent the spent casings from getting shoved upward instead of out.  It could also be the ammo you are using.  I have found my gun won't break the rim deep enough on steel case or cycle sub sonics, which is really too bad, but that might be for another thread.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 10:14:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Ugh. So it sounds like I need to pony up another $50+ to make my conversion work the way it's supposed to.

Oh well...I'll add it to the growing "gun stuff" list.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:03:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't spend the money on the CMMG charging handle.
It's plastic, might hold up, might not.
If the bcg is working correctly, the empties won't fly up in the first place.

I use standard charging handles.

Try the TACCOM Upgrade first.

Dave N

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:13:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I wouldn't spend the money on the CMMG charging handle.
It's plastic, might hold up, might not.
If the bcg is working correctly, the empties won't fly up in the first place.

I use standard charging handles.

Try the TACCOM Upgrade first.

Dave N

View Quote

I noticed the charging handle was plastic too after opening it, which definitely was a turn off.  However I am not too concerned seeing as the M and P 15.22 is mostly plastic as well.  (actually the whole reason I built an AR .22 was to avoid plastic parts, but this is the only plastic part on my gun aside from some of the furniture)  That being said I am glad to hear about being able to use a normal charging handle if your bcg is working correctly as I have been wondering what to do if my CMMG charging handle begins to act up.  No problems as of yet though with about 600 rounds down range so hopefully all will be ok.  I suppose only time will tell.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 2:21:28 AM EDT
[#13]
I've only had one break out of a dozen.
But there was a run that had suspected internal voids in the molding process and were breaking.

Dave N
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 3:49:11 AM EDT
[#14]
New gun with new conversion kit + mid power ammo= I am not surprised.

New gun should not be a huge issue but it would not hurt to fire a couple hundred rounds of 5.56 which might slick up the trigger group some .
Op handles come different dimensions and materials , some don't play well with conversion kits.

I have had best results by using a dry lube or silicone on conversion than oil. Oil just seems to slow things down and gum things up . Doesn't hurt to take conversion apart and buff it a bit with steel wool or a nylon scotch brite pad to slick up the rails a bit.

If you can come up with full power mini mags  it should help break in the conversion .

Some times ejection problems with conversion kits are a symptom of the magazine lips dragging on the bolt. To check this chamber a round , remove the mag , then fire and see if the conversion ejects the single round . Sometimes the fix is as simple as taking the mag and taking a couple of strokes across the top of the feed lips but care should be taken as too heavy a file hand can muck up the mag.
Mark your mags and try to track them to see if your problems happen more often with a particular magazine.

Buffer should be pressing against rear of conversion when gun is closed up , stick something in there to be sure if you can't tell .

Some guns take a particular conversion and run well from the get go , some are a PITA . Keep with it , when you get it worked out they are a real joy to play and train with
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Our dearly loved AR's while called "Mil-Spec" or whatever actually have many variations. Add to this a .22 blow back conversion with its own variations then the trigger group in the rifle that was never designed for that .22 conversion and then on top of all of these lets throw in .22 ammo which varies wildly. Honestly I am more surprised that any .22 conversion even works at all!  But they do...and I have thousands of rounds through them to prove it. I have used several different bands of conversions over the year and most have actually worked pretty good, except for that evil one from Spikes that just refused to function with some of my lowers.

Good full power ammo is needed. Break in time is needed. Some hammer/trigger springs are not .22 friendly. Don't give up, just experiment with ammo and shoot the heck out of it. If you can polish up the parts that always helps.
I have had the best luck with CMMG conversions but that is just based on the five of them I have owned and used in a dozen AR's, not a great sample size but they worked for me. Never broke a firing pin...still have that new spare on in my kit just in case however.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 7:03:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Smith and Wesson ARs in 22 are plastic too.......there's a reason CMMG went with there own CH.....because using a standard one caused issues......I would get one
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:05:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll probably get the reliability kit but hold off on the bolt handle. Like someone said, if the kit is functioning properly it should eject the brass without needing that.

Need to hold off on gun purchases right now though...too many hobbies for a near poverty level wage. :)
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:41:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll probably get the reliability kit but hold off on the bolt handle. Like someone said, if the kit is functioning properly it should eject the brass without needing that.

Need to hold off on gun purchases right now though...too many hobbies for a near poverty level wage. :)
View Quote

I don't know if the doc has any remedies for BRD.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:25:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Smith and Wesson ARs in 22 are plastic too.......there's a reason CMMG went with there own CH.....because using a standard one caused issues......I would get one
View Quote

CMMG developed the charging handle more to fix Spikes jamming problems. I never had a CMMG that needed an anti jam charging handle and I've had more than a few. It's just added insurance.

The CH's were made out of polymer to save money. To produce an aluminum one with filled in channel would have cost more than most would pay.
Some guys fill a mil CH with epoxy.

Of the many Taccom builds I've had, I've never needed to use an anti jam charging handle.

Dave N
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 5:21:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Just bought the TACCOM reliability kit. We'll see what it does. Thanks for the suggestions.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:28:36 PM EDT
[#21]
For anyone who owns a CMMG or Tactical Industries .22lr conversion kit, get the TACCOM reliability upgrade. I just replaced the extractor and recoil spring (couldn't get the firing pin out) on my TI kit and fired 70 rounds through it.

First two mags (50rds) were MUCH better but still some issues. Turns out I had forgotten to put the pressure plug in it. D'oh! Fixed that and put another 20 rounds through it rapid fire with ZERO issues.

Couldn't be happier....thanks ARFCOM!! Went from malfunctions on every single round to flawless performance.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#22]
We have two CMMG dedicated uppers and neither has ever had a round stuck in the standard aluminum charging handles we have used from the beginning. We Had a CMMG plastic one break early on and even though CMMG replaced it promptly, we never used it and gave it away here.

If the Firearm is operating correctly you DO NOT need that stupid plastic handle. If you do need it there are other issues going on. Both our CMMGs run 100% with the standard handles.

Glad to see you got yours going.

With yours,who knows you may benefit from the Plastic handle sometime in the future, but hopefully it will run with a standard one for you.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top