Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/19/2014 8:46:43 AM EDT
Hello there,

I have one LAW folding adapter and decided to move it from my 5.56 pistol to my 9mm pistol.

I don't have a picture of the un-modified bolt carrier extension, but the first thing I did was cut the expanding fingers off that go into the rear of the standard 5.56 carrier. I faced it off in my little lathe, and drilled the threaded hole out to 1/4".

Next, I removed the pin that holds the weight inside the carrier..........

Then I drilled and tapped the weight for 1/4 UNF.

Put the weight and pin back into the rear of the carrier.

Used some locktite and screwed the bolt carrier extension in place.

Test fired about 10 rounds and all seems to be good.

There is nothing but friction holding the extension from turning, but that is the way it works on the 5.56 carrier too. I will check it now and then for rotation, but I don't think I will have any trouble.

The whole process took me about 20 minutes. Without the little lathe, it would obviously be a little more work.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:49:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Does this make it any more difficult to split the receivers and disassemble? I'm guessing it wouldn't make much difference over the standard LAW setup.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:57:21 AM EDT
[#2]
you may be on to a way to get it to work with the JP captured spring.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 9:31:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does this make it any more difficult to split the receivers and disassemble? I'm guessing it wouldn't make much difference over the standard LAW setup.
View Quote

Same as the 5.56 as far as breaking down the upper/lower. It isn't as convenient as a standard system, but it isn't too bad either. Being my lower is my dedicated 9mm (just don't want to remove the mag block, etc...) I am not changing out uppers anyway. Just breaking down to clean those dirty blow back guns.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 9:33:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like you should buy/build a DI upper
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 9:38:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sounds like you should buy/build a DI upper
View Quote

I would like that......I would try build my own, but I don't think anyone has given up info on gas hole location, etc.....

I assume one can just open up a standard 5.56 bolt to hold the 9mm cartridge. I haven't looked into at all.

I did make this 9mm barrel on my AR pistol. Well, I used a deep chambered 9mm blank, faced the chamber end off to proper depth, machined and added a barrel extension. Not a big deal for most, but I felt proud to do it myself

I haven't shot it for any type of accuracy yet, maybe that will tell me how good of a job I did cutting/crowning and threading the muzzle
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 12:06:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Simpler solution for those who aren't so mechanically gifted:

I removed the weight from the 9mm carrier and cut the length down to match the what the LAW extension needed to insert. Figured the weight of the LAW extension probably exceeded what I cut off anyway. File off the sharp edges, reassemble.

Took about 1 minute. Works great!

To change or remove the upper with the LAW extension installed, just remove both receiver pins and pull the upper forward.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 3:06:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Simpler solution for those who aren't so mechanically gifted:

I removed the weight from the 9mm carrier and cut the length down to match the what the LAW extension needed to insert. Figured the weight of the LAW extension probably exceeded what I cut off anyway. File off the sharp edges, reassemble.

Took about 1 minute. Works great!

To change or remove the upper with the LAW extension installed, just remove both receiver pins and pull the upper forward.
View Quote

Tempting...
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top