Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2014 12:28:01 PM EDT
Just curious to see everyone's opinion on weather to use a standard forged charging handle or the CMMG charging handle in a dedicated .22 LR upper. I know the CMMG helps with jams, but nothing feels like having real metal there.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:40:51 PM EDT
[#1]
My 22 handle feels fine to me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:59:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Take a metal handle and fill it with jb weld like the plastic one.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Those crappy anti jam plastic handles were the first thing we tossed when we got our CMMG uppers. Have never had a round jam in the upper using standard AR15 Charging Handles..

JB weld is not necessary.
Plastic stinks.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting, I had occasional jams with my 22 kit.  The CMMG handle was the ticket to making it run 100%
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:00:15 PM EDT
[#5]
The CMMG handle has been good to me.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:06:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting, I had occasional jams with my 22 kit.  The CMMG handle was the ticket to making it run 100%
View Quote

What brand upper were you using that had the problem?

I have never read of any CMMG uppers having problems with the standard  handles. Seems to me that CMMG designed this handle to fix problems that existed in other Manifacturers Models. Not their own..

We shoot 1000s of rounds through our CMMGs and never have once had a problem with the Standard Handles..

As a matter of fact we have no problems in functioning at all. We have the stainless Bolts in our dedicated uppers. Maybe drop in conversions or parked kits may vary..I am unsure there..

Also did have a CMMG Plastic one break early on. Never even bothered to have CMMG replace it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Stainless conversion kit in 2 different PSA 5.56 uppers.  One with a BCM charging handle the other with standard style.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:36:48 PM EDT
[#9]
The CMMG plastic CHs work much better than my AXTS Raptors in my Mega billet and Noveske MUR dedicated uppers.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The CMMG handle has been good to me.

View Quote

Never had a problem w/my cmmg plastic handle and have a couple thousand rounds through my cmmg 22 upper
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:54:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had the nasty "empty up in the charging handle" jam a number of times with my Ciener 22 kits.  Don't know if I've ever had cause to worry about it with the CMMG, because I ordered the anti-jam charging handle at the same time I ordered the CMMG conversion, and have always run that conversion with it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:01:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I have burned up thousands of rounds in my CMMG plastic handle .22 uppers and never had a problem, period. Would those same uppers have worked with a standard CH? I really don't know, I just know they did work 100% with the plastic handle and  nothing ever broke.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:41:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I am sure the plastic CMMG ones do not break often and are durable for 99.9% of the users. But I have heard of others have them break too, right here on this forum.

Do you need the anti-jam plastic handle in a CMMG upper? Answer is 100%, NO you do not..

I am turned off by Plastic stuff in General. Same reason I have a dislike for the SW MP 15-22s. Plastic.

Though they are by all accounts great little rifles. I however do not like plastic and avoid it when possible..

OP, if you are like me and dislike Plastic too. Sounds like you are.  Go ahead and throw in a Aluminum handle. You will be very happy. When we are running a scope, we really like to run a extended latch too. I would be afraid to put a extended latch on the Plastic CMMG handle.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:31:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I run a CMMG anti-jam charging handle and have had no issues. It feels sturdy. Running it on a dedicated CMMG upper with a Redi-Mag adapter and CMMG plug and bolt. Runs great. BUT, I have also ran it with a regualr charging handle and have had no issues.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:09:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Tell you the truth, I never use the "anti jam handle", if i get a round/case stuck up there I simply remove the mag, and with the charging handle  forward I pull the bolt back with my finger and the obstruction simply drops out through the magwel if you pull the charging handle back you simply wedge the obstruction worse.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:28:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I run a CMMG anti-jam charging handle and have had no issues. It feels sturdy. Running it on a dedicated CMMG upper with a Redi-Mag adapter and CMMG plug and bolt. Runs great. BUT, I have also ran it with a regualr charging handle and have had no issues.
View Quote

This but I don't use a redi mag yet.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:46:00 AM EDT
[#17]
If the upper runs properly, no you don't need the anti jam charging handle.
Those were developed for other BCG's like Spikes that were prone to throwing empties into the charging handle.

If yours is doing that, you have other issues with the BCG or mags.

Dave N
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:52:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Do you need the anti-jam plastic handle in a CMMG upper? Answer is 100%, NO you do not..
View Quote

Seems at least one CMMG owner disagrees with you, at least in the case of a CMMG conversion bolt.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_15/644273_CCMG_22_Conversion_BCG___FTE_problem__Help___.html
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:57:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Whats your point directing me to that thread Circuits. I  am confused? Unless I am missing something I see no where in that thread that a CMMG Plastic handle fixed the issue.

Shadow is correct in what he says..

I guarantee you he had other issues going on. Not the fault of the charging handle.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:06:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Whats your point directing me to that thread Circuits. I  am confused?

I guarantee you he had other issues going on. Not the fault of the charging handle.
View Quote

What was your point in posting that a CMMG upper 100% does not need an anti jam charging handle?

My point was to show that that 100% was incorrect.  Whatever other issues the poster in that thread might be having, an anti jam charging handle, or an aluminum one filled with epoxy, would have prevented that particular jam from occurring.

I understand that you may not experience that type of jam with your CMMG upper, and you don't like plastic charging handles - but for those whose uppers, even CMMG uppers, do experience that type of jam, the anti jam charging handle is utile.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Tell you the truth, I never use the "anti jam handle", if i get a round/case stuck up there I simply remove the mag, and with the charging handle  forward I pull the bolt back with my finger and the obstruction simply drops out through the magwel if you pull the charging handle back you simply wedge the obstruction worse.
View Quote

...Instead of not having that problem in the first place by use of said CMMG charging handle that you "never use". Brilliant post Frosty.

To the rest of you:

If you refrain from posting absolutes (Always, Never, 100%, etc.), you'll be amazed at the percentage drop in people who want to argue with you.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#22]
HUH, it has "never" happened in either of our CMMG uppers using a standard handle. We shoot 1000s of rounds every year with them.

I would say that measures up to a 100% non issue in my book Could it happen someday. Yes, but chances are after 1000s of rounds if it has not by now. It is not going to. Just like I have "never" won the lottery before and it likely will not happen either.

I do not know what else to say..Just telling  the OP from my own experience anyway, he does not need it..
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Seems at least one CMMG owner disagrees with you, at least in the case of a CMMG conversion bolt.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_15/644273_CCMG_22_Conversion_BCG___FTE_problem__Help___.html
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my post. It's not a CMMG upper, nor was I using a CMMG charging handle. I couldn't get the CMMG anti-jam CH to fit in my regular upper somehow.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:21:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought a CMMG complete upper two years ago.   In the last two years I’ve done put several thousand rounds through it.   The only time it jams is when I try to use Remington ammo.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:06:19 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I bought a CMMG complete upper two years ago.   In the last two years I’ve done put several thousand rounds through it.   The only time it jams is when I try to use Remington ammo.
View Quote

I've put many thousands of rounds through my CMMG complete upper and I guess I was lucky and got a good one because it worked fine with Remington ammo... well it did until they came out with the new and improved Remington ammo.  That new ammo is so dirty, after 3 mags of it I actually used the forward assist to close the bolt.  Of course a few times of that and it was so gunked up that light pressure on the forward assist no longer worked to close the bolt and not wanting to force it, I put that gun away and moved on to another one.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:26:22 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a buddy that always wants to buy some of my .22 ammo. I finally told him he could buy all my Rems at cost. What a nice guy huh

I just have a hardtime parting with my CCI and Federal stuff
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:08:48 AM EDT
[#27]
I was getting empty cases caught in the CH/bolt area. The cmmg handle stopped the jams from catching in this area but the empty cases just migrated somewhere else. I tried the plug and it put enough pressure on the bolt to prevent it from moving, which was the culprit all along.  I still keep the cmmg handle as I like it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Scott what upper manufacturuer and dedicated or a drop in conversion? Stainless Bolt assembly?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:11:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Scott what upper manufacturuer and dedicated or a drop in conversion? Stainless Bolt assembly?
View Quote

Cmmg drop in assembly. Cut down AR barrel. Not sure on the upper receiver or barrel manufacturer.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top