Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2014 12:34:16 PM EDT
4" Barrels with Collar.  TACCOM Barrel and bolt is slightly cheaper than CMMG's...

Now to find out if I can use a CMMG Full Auto trip on the TACCOM bolt.

MAHA
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 12:52:29 PM EDT
[#1]
No....but yes 'if'....

We lengthened the cock pad on the bottom of the bolt so that the hammer stays down just a little longer when the bolt cycles. Really improves reliability and helps prevent doubling.

You can take the bolt and mill off that extra length we added, the the trip will fit right on......it's about a 1/4" that you'd have to remove.

I know....sorry to all you FA guys......but we choose reliability for the mass's over you......can you ever forgive us???....please????

Tim
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I predict these won't stay in stock long!
Also has the proper .400 thread length for a .22 suppressor.

Dave N
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:55:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Dang...and I just bought one of Tim's 8.5" barrels just a few weeks ago and I have yet to complete the upper.........but I really wanted a 4"...oh well...its only money...WTH.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:24:27 PM EDT
[#4]
You can have more than one upper for your pistol/SBR lower....

MAHA
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#5]
What does this barrel do over the tensioned barrels that they sell? I am more than happy with my 4" CF tensioned barrel from Taccom. Just wondering. They look nice, maybe I need to build another 4" upper. Both is the correct answer right? :)
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:35:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Not that it does anything different. Some just prefer a solid barrel instead of tensioned.
I like both. The tensioned is lighter weight.

Dave N
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:59:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What does this barrel do over the tensioned barrels that they sell? I am more than happy with my 4" CF tensioned barrel from Taccom. Just wondering. They look nice, maybe I need to build another 4" upper. Both is the correct answer right? :)
View Quote
You can't mount a suppressor on to a 4" tensioned barrel. Ask me, I know.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:17:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Can you please explain? 4 inch tensioned barrel and suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Can you please explain? 4 inch tensioned barrel and suppressor.
View Quote
The barrel looks like this:

The suppressor looks like this:

When you attach the suppressor to the barrel, the suppressor end-cap comes into contact with the flats (or shoulder?) of the ULW barrel before the suppressor is fully seated.

Solution is to purchase and additional and relatively expensive part (1/2x28 to 1/2x28 adapter) in order to push the suppressor further out.

Here is how I did it on my .22LR:

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:39:48 PM EDT
[#10]
No problem with mine.

I use a TAC65

Dave N
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:45:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Is that because the sparrow was made for o ring design? Sorry, trying to understand better. So will a sparrow not seat on threads that are .400?
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:09:43 PM EDT
[#12]
The o-ring on the Sparrow is right around 0.400" from the end of the can where it shoulders on the barrel.  The thread length on that Silencerco 1/2x28-1/2x28 adapter is about 0.300" from the shoulder and a flat spot of about 0.155" with a total length of about 0.455" from the shoulder.....so about 0.055" worth of o-ring engagement.

With a barrel who's threads are 0.400" from the shoulder, the barrel will not engage the Sparrow's o-ring.  Its my understanding that the o-ring helps prevent the Sparrow from un-twisting/backing out.

With all that said, I've never had any issues with 0.400" threads with the Sparrow.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I mount my Huntertown Kestrel on both of my Tensioned barrels,  No issues..

MAHA
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:28:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

MAHA
View Quote

Is that a Kestrel 556?  If so, how does the Kestrel perform compared with smaller 22LR cans?
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is that because the sparrow was made for o ring design? Sorry, trying to understand better. So will a sparrow not seat on threads that are .400?
View Quote

Yes, you can use a Sparrow on threads that are 0.400. Here thread specs from SilencerCo: http://static.squarespace.com/static/52cb1392e4b09c5a5a9139b6/t/52d0550fe4b041ea8ee0be24/1389384975554/Silencerco-Thread-Specs-1-2x28.PDF
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:35:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the explanation. I have a 4 inch tensioned barrel, and I also have the adaptor. The reason why I bought the adaptor was to make suppressor stick out further from my free float hand guard, so I have never tried it without, silencerco adapter, with my sparrow. So I guess I have never tried it with anything that has .400 threads. It is good to know the sparrow will work.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:41:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Is that a Kestrel 556?  If so, how does the Kestrel perform compared with smaller 22LR cans?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
MAHA

It is a Kestrel 22 with the SS shrouded baffles. I like it a lot, I have a 2nd one pending.

MAHA
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:14:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Thinking of getting one of these or the ULW tensioned barrel.....in 4 inch.
Any idea how much weight difference there is between the two?

Are there any concerns with strength or flex of the ULW barrel once you hang a can on it?

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:32:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Has Taccom ever thought of doing a tension barrel for an M261 conversion?  It would only really require a change in 1 endcap.  I'd even donate an original, possibly unused chamber insert for measurement/experimentation.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:57:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Has Taccom ever thought of doing a tension barrel for an M261 conversion?  It would only really require a change in 1 endcap.  I'd even donate an original, possibly unused chamber insert for measurement/experimentation.
View Quote

Send Tim a message.  I am sure he would talk to you about it.

MAHA
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top